Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Expectations for Coples in year three?

  1. #1

    Expectations for Coples in year three?

    Going into his third year, what is everyone expecting to see out of Quinton? I'll admit, his sack totals from his first two seasons have been a big disappointment for me. The positives are he has shown flashes of brilliance and he isn't Vernon Gholston 2.0. He went from spot duty in his rookie year to starter this year but not much changed statistically. Is Coples a 4-6 sack a year guy for the rest of his career? Or is he going to make a leap and hit the 10 mark? And if he didn't make a leap, would everyone be okay with that?

  2. #2
    If he's going to work out at this hybrid role of his, I think already playing it for a year would set him up well for this year. Honestly, Q could be a 10-sack guy. We'll see, though.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,853
    I also think he could be a big sack guy. I feel like he is a streaky player to. If he does in fact put up 10 or so sacks, this D will be so fun to watch

  4. #4
    Well I think that was the bugaboo with him in college. That was a streaky player.

    By the way, for those who say we should have taken Jones, my thinking is that we would not have Richardson because I don't think the Pats play Jones in a LB role.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AirStrike View Post
    Going into his third year, what is everyone expecting to see out of Quinton? I'll admit, his sack totals from his first two seasons have been a big disappointment for me. The positives are he has shown flashes of brilliance and he isn't Vernon Gholston 2.0. He went from spot duty in his rookie year to starter this year but not much changed statistically. Is Coples a 4-6 sack a year guy for the rest of his career? Or is he going to make a leap and hit the 10 mark? And if he didn't make a leap, would everyone be okay with that?
    If the Jets let him play where he was suppose to be (DE), he could be a 10 sack player for them. If they try to continue to play him out of position at Olb( just too big for the position) in the 3-4 ,than he going to never live up to his potential. Now will the Jets admit there mistake there, or will they continue to try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    If the Jets let him play where he was suppose to be (DE), he could be a 10 sack player for them. If they try to continue to play him out of position at Olb( just too big for the position) in the 3-4 ,than he going to never live up to his potential. Now will the Jets admit there mistake there, or will they continue to try and fit a square peg in a round hole.
    Actually, Coples played an edge position - dropping into coverage only when necessary. He did very well, and as the season went on, he played better and better. His role is not going to net him sacks, but he did a good job of sealing the edge, and applied decent pressure when asked. He's the hybrid guy - meaning the in between of a 3-4 and 4-3 (if you want to describe it like that). Pace was the OLB that was the designated pass rusher, and was able to do so because the guys up front ate up blocks, and Pace was not double teamed, handed off to a tackle, etc. If the Jets can get a Spencer or Orakpo, that guy will blow up with sacks.

    I think Coples is fine. People expect 20 sacks - but the guy just needs a kick in the ass every once in a while.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Actually, Coples played an edge position - dropping into coverage only when necessary. He did very well, and as the season went on, he played better and better. His role is not going to net him sacks, but he did a good job of sealing the edge, and applied decent pressure when asked. He's the hybrid guy - meaning the in between of a 3-4 and 4-3 (if you want to describe it like that). Pace was the OLB that was the designated pass rusher, and was able to do so because the guys up front ate up blocks, and Pace was not double teamed, handed off to a tackle, etc. If the Jets can get a Spencer or Orakpo, that guy will blow up with sacks.

    I think Coples is fine. People expect 20 sacks - but the guy just needs a kick in the ass every once in a while.
    Don't necessarily disagree about the kick. On the other hand, he had an injury early and was playing a new position. He could have an explosive year in 14. Occasional lack of effort is most likely immaturity. Time may be the cure.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Actually, Coples played an edge position - dropping into coverage only when necessary. He did very well, and as the season went on, he played better and better. His role is not going to net him sacks, but he did a good job of sealing the edge, and applied decent pressure when asked. He's the hybrid guy - meaning the in between of a 3-4 and 4-3 (if you want to describe it like that). Pace was the OLB that was the designated pass rusher, and was able to do so because the guys up front ate up blocks, and Pace was not double teamed, handed off to a tackle, etc. If the Jets can get a Spencer or Orakpo, that guy will blow up with sacks.

    I think Coples is fine. People expect 20 sacks - but the guy just needs a kick in the ass every once in a while.
    I don't think anyone expects 20 sacks, but they expect more than 4. Especially for the flashes he showed in college and the stretches of games he can dominate in. That's the only disappointing part of his game.

  9. #9
    Later in the year I though Q got a lot of pressure actually... He consistently pushed the pocket, what I didn't see was him use a lot of moves to get around guys, he just really seemed to use his strength to push guys into the pocket. Not sure if this was by design, or thats just how he likes to rush the passer. Either way he was very close to a number of other sacks and had a bunch of near misses. If he gets a little faster he could easily be a 10 sack guy i think.

  10. #10
    Got better the more he played the position and the more he healed up from the injury. He was downright dominating at times, literally destroying the Saints offense by himself. He gets plenty of penetration into the backfield. I could see him getting around 10 sacks. I don't think he'll ever be a huge sack guy (12+ a year), but 8-10, yes.

  11. #11
    Q needs double digit sacks this year. Hopefully Rex lets him rush inside too because he's pretty good at it.

  12. #12
    if he played in a 4-3 defense.I am sure that his sack total would be much higher.he is a defensive end period

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Don't necessarily disagree about the kick. On the other hand, he had an injury early and was playing a new position. He could have an explosive year in 14. Occasional lack of effort is most likely immaturity. Time may be the cure.
    Not just an injury, a BIG one. The guy had a busted ankle. You don't come back from that quickly, especially when you are playing football when you really should be rehabbing.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,339
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Q needs double digit sacks this year. Hopefully Rex lets him rush inside too because he's pretty good at it.
    2 things that will help the team in the sack dept.. 1 the offense cuts the 3 and outs down so the time of possession goes up which leaves the D more time to rest and 2 the O scores enough points so the other team is forced to pass and then the D can pin their ears back and rush like mad dogs..

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AirStrike View Post
    I don't think anyone expects 20 sacks, but they expect more than 4. Especially for the flashes he showed in college and the stretches of games he can dominate in. That's the only disappointing part of his game.
    I agree, but I also think a lot was asked of him considering his immaturity. I think he's grown a lot, and hopefully improves as a pass rusher (and consistency). He did, however, seal the edge better than most playing a similar role.

    It's synergistic, too. Richardson, Harrison, Wilkerson and/or Coples improve - the rest improve as well.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    I don't care about sack numbers, more important to me is that he becomes a better Overall linebacker next season. I want to see him shed a few Pounds, get lighter, quicker and faster. If that happens the numbers and Performances will take care of themselves...

  17. #17
    I think the injury slowed him down. He was a beast late in the season.

  18. #18
    If reasonably healthy...I see Q as a 8-12 sack type of player. He isn't the twitchy explosive type to get to that 12-15 level. If he has someone consistently playing on the other side...that the protection schemes seriously have to worry about. Then I think not only Coples would benefit from this. But that opposite pass rusher needing to be doubled teamed, would have an enormous positive rippling effect throughout the entire front seven. You would see the Jets possibly being a 50+ sack team. And if you can't get that double team type of talent to play opposite Q. Then at least the secondary needs to improve their coverage...that would also add more sacks and pressures to last year's totals.

    Man...if you have both. An Orakpo type opposite Coples...combined with much improved coverage from the secondary...the sky's the limit for what this defense could be next year. I see the D causing way more TOs for sure.

    Maybe the Jets could hit a triple-homer in the draft, and get a OLB Beast to play the other side of Q. Preferably somewhere in rounds 2-4. I'd like to see the #1 pick go for an offensive impact player if possible. But who knows who will be BPA at the 18th spot.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think the injury slowed him down. He was a beast late in the season.
    This is true. He really shut down his side of the field by sealing the edge. He needs to work on his pass rush, but I believe he'll be better next year.

  20. #20
    A lot of what threw off Coples this season was adjusting to playing LB. That's still a work in progress. But the fans should have faith that he'll get better. I have no doubt. Right now, nobody should be complaining.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us