Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my reaction at this was something like: Oh...SH*T, it is ON.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I think my reaction at this was something like: Oh...SH*T, it is ON.

Love this scene. Straight up chills.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    $hit!! ... You all (& the cans) talked me into in ... Gonna set the DVR ... May need to delete some Sopranos reruns to create space

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "In all your life, and all you love, all you hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream; a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about a being a person. And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it."

Love it

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    I think there is some sort of connection between the Bike Gang and the death of Matt M's daughter?
    I didn't put that together, but wow makes sense. Present day, they are interviewing him about a similar murder. Could be a revenge thing. Wow, nice call

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    I didn't put that together, but wow makes sense. Present day, they are interviewing him about a similar murder. Could be a revenge thing. Wow, nice call
    Damn! Didn't catch that either! This is one of those shows you can really watch several times. It feels strange even calling it a show... More like an 8-part movie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    $hit!! ... You all (& the cans) talked me into in ... Gonna set the DVR ... May need to delete some Sopranos reruns to create space
    Googlez her name...pronto

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the show, dying to watch episode 4 tonight after the Olympics puts my wife to sleep. I have a few problems with Alexandra Daddario and her double-D-devastation. 1. The scene, while epic, actually detracted from what is the best script HBO has put on air since The Wire -- save those cans for a fair-to-middling show like True Blood or something. 2. Woody Harrelson couldn't get her as a Hollywood celebrity much less a married cop with two kids. 3. Mohandas K. Ghandi would break down that woman's door in a jealous rage -- her attractiveness works against the storyline of what an out-of-control maniac he has become. I weigh 145 lbs and I busted through some lady's door because I THOUGHT it was this chick -- I really had to apologize.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ten-not-done View Post
    Really liking it. Didn't know MM was such a good actor. The guy is skinny as **** now,what happened? He should quit with all the stupid rom-coms put his shirt on and do more roles like this.
    I liked McConaghey in Killer Joe esp the scene in the end when he makes Gina Gershon have a piece of chicken.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Googlez her name...pronto

Sooooooo Hot!!!!!!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I have a question to those who have been watching so if you havent watched it yet do not read:

Why do you guys think they went about the whole biker gang thing "off the books" as Rust said? Wouldn't it have been feasible for them to tell their superiors about the biker gang and their possible connection to Ledoux, and then they could have set up a legit detail on the gang and not have to go about it all sneaky like? Obviously this is a huge problem now as the current day detectives do not seem to buy Rust's personal time visit to his father.
    I think there are a lot of reasons -

how it 'ended' last time, his drug problem, and the shifting attitudes of what a UC can/should do while under (I think he mentioned that when he was talking about what he did while under); the timing - he couldn't wait for what I'm sure would be weeks, minimum, to get the approval to do such a risky thing - risky both from the standpoint that he didn't know how they felt about him (as he said), and that he knew he was going to have to get dirty... Doesn't sound like something that would be quickly or definitely green lighted. Then, as mentioned, the issue with the feds trying to take over, and I also think he knew there was a good chance it wouldn't work - he might not hook up with the right guys, they might not buy it, they might set him up, etc.
    Last edited by isired; 02-12-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I think there are a lot of reasons -

how it 'ended' last time, his drug problem, and the shifting attitudes of what a UC can/should do while under (I think he mentioned that when he was talking about what he did while under); the timing - he couldn't wait for what I'm sure would be weeks, minimum, to get the approval to do such a risky thing - risky both from the standpoint that he didn't know how they felt about him (as he said), and that he knew he was going to have to get dirty... Doesn't sound like something that would be quickly or definitely green lighted. Then, as mentioned, the issue with the feds trying to take over, and I also think he knew there was a good chance it wouldn't work - he might not hook up with the right guys, they might not buy it, they might set him up, etc.
    Spoilers/speculations.... but you should understand that if you are on the innernetz

I just remembered one major part too... One of many reasons like you say.. The exchanged bag of "flour" he presented as a gift being a big part
    along with knowing he's gonna be getting high as a mf'er as he's being 'tested' by the gang.
    No way boss, who clearly hates him would green light anything of the sort, and especially with no sure suspect.
    That would be a "HELL NO, this is the Fed's investigation now"
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 02-12-2014 at 11:49 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Spoilers/speculations.... but you should understand that if you are on the innernetz

I just remembered one major part too... One of many reasons like you say.. The exchanged bag of "flour" he presented as a gift being a big part
    along with knowing he's gonna be getting high as a mf'er as he's being 'tested' by the gang.
    No way boss, who clearly hates him would green light anything of the sort, and especially with no sure suspect.
    That would be a "HELL NO, this is the Fed's investigation now"

Also remember they crossed the state line into Texas where they had no jurisdiction or business being.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 02-13-2014 at 10:13 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far I am really liking True Detective. First, I don't think Woody Harrelson is being given enough credit for his conflicted role. He is at his best in this one. My wife isn't liking the show. She thinks MM is horrible. "All he does is whisper and/or ramble incoherently." She does have a point. MM's delivery is dull and tiring in this show. He needs a fantastic script (which I think he has been given) to have any appeal at all. His character is dark and mysterious but MM seems to think that the only way to deliver it is by whispoering every single line or worse, mumbling. He is very predictable. I'm in the minority, but color me unimpressed by his interpretation and delivery. He is boring. But the plot (which has David Lynch like characterisitics) is intriguing enough for me to watch them all. And of course there is the gorgeous Alexandra Daddario. Now that Woody Harrelson has been thrown out by his wife, maybe we get more Alexandra?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    So far I am really liking True Detective. First, I don't think Woody Harrelson is being given enough credit for his conflicted role. He is at his best in this one. My wife isn't liking the show. She thinks MM is horrible. "All he does is whisper and/or ramble incoherently." She does have a point. MM's delivery is dull and tiring in this show. He needs a fantastic script (which I think he has been given) to have any appeal at all. His character is dark and mysterious but MM seems to think that the only way to deliver it is by whispoering every single line or worse, mumbling. He is very predictable. I'm in the minority, but color me unimpressed by his interpretation and delivery. He is boring. But the plot (which has David Lynch like characterisitics) is intriguing enough for me to watch them all. And of course there is the gorgeous Alexandra Daddario. Now that Woody Harrelson has been thrown out by his wife, maybe we get more Alexandra?
    Agree w Woody. Very impressive, but not all that surprised.
    Disagree w MM and the whispering thing. He sounds pretty authentic to me.
    Yes please, more Alexandra

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    MM is on a nice roll in his career. I just watched Dallas Buyers Club, he was amazing in it. Also he almost stole the show with his cameo in Wolf of Wall Street

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Wow are you wide of the mark on this one. There are a few things that make this a very good series (not ready to call it great yet until I see where it goes). Number one is Matthew McConaughey's performance...particularly where he plays his character in the present day. The second thing making this really good is the direction which has been outstanding at setting the place and the mood and the pacing. Woody Harrrlson is also doing a solid job but take away McConaughey and the direction this is a so-so thriller.

The plot is actually pretty pedestrian and while bits of the dialog are sweet ("You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a *****") a lot of it would also be cringe-worthy if not for McConaughey's delivery ( “There’s a weight, and it’s got its fish hooks in your heart and your soul,” and “There was other times I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe.” and “You think your betrayal’s removed by its interruption?”).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Wow are you wide of the mark on this one. There are a few things that make this a very good series (not ready to call it great yet until I see where it goes). Number one is Matthew McConaughey's performance...particularly where he plays his character in the present day. The second thing making this really good is the direction which has been outstanding at setting the place and the mood and the pacing. Woody Harrrlson is also doing a solid job but take away McConaughey and the direction this is a so-so thriller.

The plot is actually pretty pedestrian and while bits of the dialog are sweet ("You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a *****") a lot of it would also be cringe-worthy if not for McConaughey's delivery ( “There’s a weight, and it’s got its fish hooks in your heart and your soul,” and “There was other times I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe.” and “You think your betrayal’s removed by its interruption?”).
    You are pointing out the brilliance of the script, not of MM's delivery. I agree with what you say about his lines and the writing for it. However, MM mumbles and whispers his way through it. Just my opinion. Next time you watch it, see how MM constantly mumbles and whispers. He could do a lot more with this great part, IMO. He's usually rock solid. I guess all one needs to do to be regarded as excellent is to act solemn, mumble and whisper what could be an outstanding opportunity for a great performance. I think everyone is confusing the script with the acting when it comes to him. So far TD is an excellent show, solid writing and performances by Harrelson and most of the cast, although the present day detectives are about as unrealistic as you can imagine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I had really high hopes for this show, and I am still finding myself incredibly impressed with each episode. Cant believe there's only 3 episodes left.