Family poisoned with LSD-laced meat
Published: March 7, 2014 | Updated: March 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Tampa police are investigating after a family of four was hospitalized this week after eating LSD-tainted meat.
Test results received today from the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the family ate meat on Monday contaminated with the hallucinogenic drug.
The father, 24-year-old Ronnie Morales, fell ill and called 911. His girlfriend, Jessica Rosado, who was nine months pregnant, drove him to St. Joseph’s Hospital, Police Chief Jane Castor said.
When they got to the hospital, Rosado also began feeling ill, as did their two young daughters.
All four family members began hallucinating, police said.
Doctors took Rosado across the street to St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital, where doctors induced labor and she had a healthy baby boy, Castor said.
Morales and the two children - one girl is 7 and the other just turned 6 today - were released from the hospital Wednesday. Rosado and the baby boy were released Thursday.
The bottom round steak was purchased at Walmart, 1501 N. Dale Mabry Highway, just north of Interstate 275, police said.
The store has taken its meat off the shelves and turned it over to police for testing, police said.
A statement from Walmart said the retailer is taking the situation “very seriously” and is working with authorities to get to the bottom of the case.
“We are reviewing our store’s surveillance video to see if we can find any information that might assist in the investigation,” the statement said.
Castor said no other cases of tainted meat have been reported and said Wal-Mart officials have been cooperative.
Along with Tampa police, the U.S. and Florida Department of Agriculture along with the Hillsborough County Health Department are investigating the case.