Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What defensive players are acceptable at #18

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What defensive players are acceptable at #18

Assuming the 3 wides and TE are off the board - OR simply may be far and away BPA even with some of those guys on the board. Of course no one expects us to go defense but if the board falls a certain way...

Maybe-

Haha Clinton Dix

Kony Early

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No lineman or CB's. So that leaves Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack if they fall, maybe Dee Ford and the safeties Ha Ha Dix or Calvin Pryor as also maybes and that's it. But they would definitely be better in a trade down.
    Last edited by Woody56; 02-12-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    No lineman or CB's. So that leaves Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack if they fall, maybe Dee Ford and the safeties Ha Ha Dix or Calvin Pryor as also maybes and that's it. But they would definitely be better in a trade down.
    I agree with this 100%. I'll take one of the two stud OLBs if they slip without thinking twice, or one of the two safeties if the value just isn't there for other positions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I agree with this 100%. I'll take one of the two stud OLBs if they slip without thinking twice, or one of the two safeties if the value just isn't there for other positions.
    The draft has proven over & over that WRs can be found after the 1st round. Personally if Watkins is gone I see no way in hell that the Jets go WR at 18.
    Find me a WR after Watkins that is a "better football player" than Ha Ha Dix, Dee Ford, CJ Mosely? WRs drafted this year will have a minimal impact on the 1st half of our season anyway.
    Look at how many WRs the Pats picked high in the draft over the years, all of them average & that's with Tom Brady throwing the ball.
    We have 3 picks from 52-100 of the best players in college football. Using #18 on the best defensive player on the board other than a Dlineman is not crazy.
    Idzik will sign either 2 WRs or a WR & TE in free agency. We have to spend the money we have, where else can he spend it, other than safety as true absolute needs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The draft has proven over & over that WRs can be found after the 1st round. Personally if Watkins is gone I see no way in hell that the Jets go WR at 18.
    Find me a WR after Watkins that is a "better football player" than Ha Ha Dix, Dee Ford, CJ Mosely? WRs drafted this year will have a minimal impact on the 1st half of our season anyway.
    Look at how many WRs the Pats picked high in the draft over the years, all of them average & that's with Tom Brady throwing the ball.
    We have 3 picks from 52-100 of the best players in college football. Using #18 on the best defensive player on the board other than a Dlineman is not crazy.
    Idzik will sign either 2 WRs or a WR & TE in free agency. We have to spend the money we have, where else can he spend it, other than safety as true absolute needs.
    The Pats traded for Randy Moss and Wes Welker so they had no reason to draft a WR till this year. Which is also a big reason Brady struggled. Once his TEs were gone he had to rely on the crap they call WRs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely would not rule out corner. Walls and Lankster are FA, Trufant is a RFA, Cromartie is obviously getting released with the intent of singing a cap friendly deal. Wilson's salary is over $3M this year so it's possible he could be approached to restructure.

What if Cro's 2013 performance is his new norm?

As far as prospects go, one scout said that Gilbert of OK St is the best corner prospect since Patrick Peterson. If he is there at 18 and Rex and Idzik think he is that good, he could be the pick. If you want to bring in elite corners via free agency, it's going to cost a ton and it usually doesn't work out. You have to draft corners and not everyone gets lucky and drafts Sherman in the 5th round.

I think it will be one of Beckham, Robinson, Ebron, Ford, Gilbert, and Clinton-Dix. I think Pryor is gone as well as the three top WRs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be borderline devastated if we took a CB - Millner will be a good player and we can find a 2nd CB via free agency. Outside of clowney, we cannot take another Dlineman.

I also dont see Clinton -Dix as an Earl Thomas type difference maker. He is just he best safety in this class - doesnt mean he is anywhere near the 18th best player in the draft.

I think Kyle Van Noy can be in the conversation, but I would hope moreso if we moved down from 18 to 22-25 range.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would have to be an impact pass rusher (OLB, DL) or safety:

Donald DL (Pittsburgh)
    Ford OLB (Auburn)
    Dix S (Alabama)
    Pryor S (Louisville)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think Trent Murphy is going to be a great player. At 6'6 261 he's versatile which Rex loves. He'd kill it playing OLB across from Coples and he can also play DE in a 4-3. I believe he lead college football with 15 sacks last year too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

Donald DL (Pittsburgh)
    Ford OLB (Auburn)
    Dix S (Alabama)
    Pryor S (Louisville)
    Agreed. Either one of those positions rounds out the defense and I wouldn't be mad if that's the way the team went.

That said, the next three picks better be dedicated to offense if they go that route.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I still think Trent Murphy is going to be a great player. At 6'6 261 he's versatile which Rex loves. He'd kill it playing OLB across from Coples and he can also play DE in a 4-3. I believe he lead college football with 15 sacks last year too.
    Despite measuring 6-6, 261 pounds, Murphy looks thin and frail battling offensive tackles on the edges. Consequently, he has struggled winning in 1-on-1 pass rush drills and made a minimal impact as a rusher in team drills.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...at-senior-bowl

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I saw that, and I hope he drops to round 2. However, I think he bounces back at the combine. The article also said they mostly played him at DE and not OLB which is his main position. When watching his game tape you'll see he can rush from all over the field and uses his hands well. He also bats down quite a few balls while rushing the passer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just from a Jet perspective Trent Murphy would be an intriguing player. He has the size Rex likes in
    his OLB's, he's played in a hybrid defense, you know he's smart (Stanford) and he had big time
    production. You combine him with Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Coples in our front seven
    and his "flaws" get covered up because the offense has to concentrate on our other pass rushers.
    The Combine will be important to him, he's going to need to show speed, flexibility and explosion.
    At this point though I would have to trade back from 18 before I would consider him

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Defensive players I wouldn't mind at pick #18 are

Khalil Mack OLB
    Kyle Van Noy OLB
    Anthony Barr OLB

Justin Gilbert CB
    darqueze Dennard CB
    Jason Verrett CB

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mack
    Clinton-Dix
    Pryor
    Ford

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Donald DL (Pittsburgh)
    Ford OLB (Auburn)
    Dix S (Alabama)
    Pryor S (Louisville)
    It will be tough if somebody like Dennard or Gilbert is on the board. Mack will never fall this far, but he would certainly be a no-brainer as well.

The other question is: which WR's and TE will be available if we wait until #49 to make our next pick. Perhaps Landry, Matthews, Adams for WR and probably Niklas or Fiedorwicz for TE. We need an elite weapon among the receiving corps, whether WR or TE. We won't get that if we pass at #18 unless we're talking about trading up in the 2nd, which would be unfortunate, given the value of that 2nd Round 2 pick.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I saw that, and I hope he drops to round 2. However, I think he bounces back at the combine. The article also said they mostly played him at DE and not OLB which is his main position. When watching his game tape you'll see he can rush from all over the field and uses his hands well. He also bats down quite a few balls while rushing the passer.
    Trent Murphy isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder. I'd guess 3rd rounder at this point in time unless he blows up the combine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just from a Jet perspective Trent Murphy would be an intriguing player. He has the size Rex likes in
    his OLB's, he's played in a hybrid defense, you know he's smart (Stanford) and he had big time
    production. You combine him with Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Coples in our front seven
    and his "flaws" get covered up because the offense has to concentrate on our other pass rushers.
    The Combine will be important to him, he's going to need to show speed, flexibility and explosion.
    At this point though I would have to trade back from 18 before I would consider him
    The knock on him right now is that he is not strong enough, and he simply does not have the kind of speed that will
    alter his draft status.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The knock on him right now is that he is not strong enough, and he simply does not have the kind of speed that will
    alter his draft status.
    Very true. I don't see how Murphy is even debatable at 18 right now. I would have a hard time justifying taking him in the second. Ford, Van Noy, Attaochu, Reilly, Crichton, and Jeffcoat are all guys I would take before Murphy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Very true. I don't see how Murphy is even debatable at 18 right now. I would have a hard time justifying taking him in the second. Ford, Van Noy, Attaochu, Reilly, Crichton, and Jeffcoat are all guys I would take before Murphy.
    I really like Kareem Martin. He was more effective when he got to rush from different alignments rather than simply with his hand in the dirt. If he is available in the 3rd round, he'd be a perfect replacement for Pace and his athletic ability would mesh well with the rest of the front 7.