Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What defensive players are acceptable at #18

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Maybe you mean the Bucs that drafted Derrick Brooks in 1995 in the first, at 28th overall.

Or Nate Webster in 2000, with the 90th overall pick.

Could be Lavonte David in 2012, who was picked 58th overall.

What is your reasoning for going ILB with our first round pick? If he is your BAP, why?
    ILB is one of the easiest positions to fill. Unless you're getting a Willis, Lewis, or Urlacher there's not much value in taking one that high.

All Pro
    Maybe you mean the Bucs that drafted Derrick Brooks in 1995 in the first, at 28th overall.

What is your reasoning for going ILB with our first round pick? If he is your BAP, why?
    Hey, I get it. The Jets have the worst receiving core in the NFL, Yada yada yada. Everyone and their mother think the Jets need to take a receiving playmaker because the team needs 1. In this draft, after Watkins, none of the WRs are better than Mosley is at his position. Presently, we have the old Marvin Jones in Harris at ILBer. We can do what we did and keep him for 1 more yr or we can pick a Player Mosley(if there) and improve our defense the way we did when we replaced Jones with Vilma. By the way, I happen to think that Mosley is a far better talent than Vilma was at the time we took him and we took Vilma at pick 9 in the 1st did we not.

Mosley is a defensive leader, capable of making plays sideline to sideline and deep in coverage. He would improve the play of our lousy safeties immediately.

If Mosley is as bad as u think he is, why do so many have him projected to go before the 15th pick?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;5149511]Hey, I get it. The Jets have the worst receiving core in the NFL, Yada yada yada. Everyone and their mother think the Jets need to take a receiving playmaker because the team needs 1. In this draft, after Watkins, none of the WRs are better than Mosley is at his position. Presently, we have the old Marvin Jones in Harris at ILBer. We can do what we did and keep him for 1 more yr or we can pick a Player Mosley(if there) and improve our defense the way we did when we replaced Jones with Vilma. By the way, I happen to think that Mosley is a far better talent than Vilma was at the time we took him and we took Vilma at pick 9 in the 1st did we not.

Mosley is a defensive leader, capable of making plays sideline to sideline and deep in coverage. He would improve the play of our lousy safeties immediately.

If Mosley is as bad as u think he is, why do so many have him projected to go before the 15th pick?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mosley is a bad player. He would never warrant a first round grade for the Jets at 18. I really don't care what the consensus points to as the perfect mock at this point. He's not even in the class of a Luke Kuechly and David was a second rounder. He's a late first/early second at a position we don't need.

Why would the Jets blow the 18th pick on a position of no need that is routinely filled with lower round picks? What are these huge attributes that jump out on film of him, that makes me go wow?

I absolutely loved Lavonte David and wanted us to draft him. Really felt he was 1st round material. Coples and Hill where both value drops though. In hinds site him over Hill and Sanu in the 3rd instead of David would have been a great draft. That was an a great WR class overall we could have waited given how many where still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If Barnes and Coples are healthy this is a 50 sack team so I wouldnt say dire at all. We could use a few cover LBs but as far as rushing that is all we have. We are forced to play our S shallow because we dont have LBs that can cover even a 5 yard buffer which is sad. S should be free to spy ours simply arent. That is what Reed does best. Slow or not he can read a QB and get to where the ball is going. If he has to worry about a TE or RB your taking his best attribute out of the game.
    Barnes had one freak 11 sack season, in his other 6 seasons, he's had 4.5 sacks or less.

Coples, who I know was hurt, has been up and down and hasn't shown enough to warrant his draft selection so far. He's entering his 3rd season and all we can do is throw the "potential" word out there. The undrafted Snacks has looked far more like the 1st rounder.

I don't think we should bank on either guy and certaintly not on both. I agree with your other point 100%... im looking to kill two birds... That's why a guy like Van Noy makes some sense IMO.

For those that so desperately want a speed rushing OLB who gets 15 sacks, consider the fact that the seahawks got great pressure and no one even had as many as 9 sacks and the team had 44.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    For those that so desperately want a speed rushing OLB who gets 15 sacks, consider the fact that the seahawks got great pressure and no one even had as many as 9 sacks and the team had 44.
    Their lbers, CB's and safeties all run much better than what the Jets have so they dont need that kind of pass rusher. Would take an incredible stroke of luck to nail on all those picks.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    How would you feel about Michael Sam in the 4th round as a developmental OLB to sit behind Calvin Pace next year or two? Yea yea I know the media will go nuts but he was elite in the SEC as a pass rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The draft has proven over & over that WRs can be found after the 1st round. Personally if Watkins is gone I see no way in hell that the Jets go WR at 18.
    Find me a WR after Watkins that is a "better football player" than Ha Ha Dix, Dee Ford, CJ Mosely? WRs drafted this year will have a minimal impact on the 1st half of our season anyway.
    Look at how many WRs the Pats picked high in the draft over the years, all of them average & that's with Tom Brady throwing the ball.
    We have 3 picks from 52-100 of the best players in college football. Using #18 on the best defensive player on the board other than a Dlineman is not crazy.
    Idzik will sign either 2 WRs or a WR & TE in free agency. We have to spend the money we have, where else can he spend it, other than safety as true absolute needs.
    The middle of the 2nd rd was the highest pick the pats used on a wr since terry glenn

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    How would you feel about Michael Sam in the 4th round as a developmental OLB to sit behind Calvin Pace next year or two? Yea yea I know the media will go nuts but he was elite in the SEC as a pass rusher.
    His sacks came in clumps as opposed to being consistent game to game.

Personally i don't think he has the speed to play OLB and would be a bad fit opposite coples as coples isn't a speed guy either

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The middle of the 2nd rd was the highest pick the pats used on a wr since terry glenn
    That's what I'm saying, Belichick stopped picking WRs high until last year when he took Dobsen I think?
    2nd round is a HIGH pick.
    Earlier in his career, BB chose Branch, Bethel Johnson & Chad Jackson with 2nd round picks.
    Brady made branches career, Johnson & Jackson were busts!
    Jets have two 3rd round picks, this is where I think they go WR.

All League
    The draft has proven over & over that WRs can be found after the 1st round.
    You can really say that about any position.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    His sacks came in clumps as opposed to being consistent game to game.

Personally i don't think he has the speed to play OLB and would be a bad fit opposite coples as coples isn't a speed guy either
    I don't know. The tape I've seen on him he looks pretty good. He's not going to be an every down player in the NFL but he can be a situational pass rusher and Rex loves using the 46 Bear which he'd be good in. Plus we have no depth at OLB.

All Pro
    That's what I'm saying, Belichick stopped picking WRs high until last year when he took Dobsen I think?
    2nd round is a HIGH pick.
    Earlier in his career, BB chose Branch, Bethel Johnson & Chad Jackson with 2nd round picks.
    Brady made branches career, Johnson & Jackson were busts!
    Jets have two 3rd round picks, this is where I think they go WR.
    RIDICULOUS to make comparisons with a team that's had the best QB playing for over decade. He elevates everyone's game - so much so that the Pats rostering a stable of mid-level talent WRs has become part of their identity.

Just like ANY other position, if you have a glaring need, and a player fits the bill/value, then you draft him. Evans, Lee would be those guys in Rnd 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    RIDICULOUS to make comparisons with a team that's had the best QB playing for over decade. He elevates everyone's game - so much so that the Pats rostering a stable of mid-level talent WRs has become part of their identity.

Just like ANY other position, if you have a glaring need, and a player fits the bill/value, then you draft him. Evans, Lee would be those guys in Rnd 1.
    Ridiculous?
    Do you just like to state your superiority to others on this board?
    Brady didn't make Bethel or Chad Jackson stars! 2nd rounders both of them.
    Sorry that I don't agree with you, after Watkins I don't see another 1st round WR that is better at being a WR than some other players that are better at their respective position, maybe Evans? We'll see who's right in May.
    Personally, I don't see Idzik going WR at 18. Only if Evans is still there is what I'm thinking.

All Pro
    Ridiculous?
    Sorry that I don't agree with you, after Watkins I don't see another 1st round WR that is better at being a WR than some other players that are better at their respective position, maybe Evans? We'll see who's right in May.
    Personally, I don't see Idzik going WR at 18. Only if Evans is still there is what I'm thinking.
    No, i don't come on here to state my superiority. It's not my intention - and I don't mean to come across that way. I do get a little excited though and mash my keyboard from time to time.

Honestly, i wouldn't take back what I said. It's flat out ridiculous to compare the Jets recent draft history with the Patriots. There's no deeper understanding that needs to be delineated.

Ridiculous?
    118 catches 1700 yards and 14 TDs from a guy who is 6 feet tall, 195 and will run sub 4.4.

Is that someone who if they came out after that season wouldn't have a solid first round grade form you?