Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets: Offseason

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets: Offseason

It is not obvious that the jets need a lot of help on offense. Their skill positions this past year was horrific and scary to watch. Once they release sanchez and holmes to free up some cap they need to upgrade every skill position. Out of the pool of FA WR they need to sign at least one known name (Maclin, Decker, Sanders). Once they obtain one of these players they MUST draft a WR with their 1st rd pick. What I would do in Izdiks position is to trade up and draft Sammy Watkins. This guy is special. Percy Harvin speed and has sure hands. He has the potential to be the number 1 receiver and can put up big numbers. I am a big fan of this guy if you can't tell already. I do not mind Cumberland at TE but they can use a later pick to draft a young TE and get lucky that he is good. No doubt they will also try to sign a qb to compete with Geno. I have no problem with that but GENO is the starter. I want to see what Geno can do with weapons that can get off press and catch the ball. I felt bad for the guy who was forcing throws to try to make a play because his receivers could do anything. This scheme is perfect for Geno coming from the air raid offense at dub v. They can't give up on him now. Ride and die with Geno another year, if he has another bad year then they can move on. My jets top 3 WR would be Maclin, Watkins, Kerley, Cumberland. It is winning record or pink slips in my eyes.

-JF

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CroMo3196 View Post
    It is not obvious that the jets need a lot of help on offense. Their skill positions this past year was horrific and scary to watch. Once they release sanchez and holmes to free up some cap they need to upgrade every skill position. Out of the pool of FA WR they need to sign at least one known name (Maclin, Decker, Sanders). Once they obtain one of these players they MUST draft a WR with their 1st rd pick. What I would do in Izdiks position is to trade up and draft Sammy Watkins. This guy is special. Percy Harvin speed and has sure hands. He has the potential to be the number 1 receiver and can put up big numbers. I am a big fan of this guy if you can't tell already. I do not mind Cumberland at TE but they can use a later pick to draft a young TE and get lucky that he is good. No doubt they will also try to sign a qb to compete with Geno. I have no problem with that but GENO is the starter. I want to see what Geno can do with weapons that can get off press and catch the ball. I felt bad for the guy who was forcing throws to try to make a play because his receivers could do anything. This scheme is perfect for Geno coming from the air raid offense at dub v. They can't give up on him now. Ride and die with Geno another year, if he has another bad year then they can move on. My jets top 3 WR would be Maclin, Watkins, Kerley, Cumberland. It is winning record or pink slips in my eyes.

-JF
    Why must they draft a wr in the first round? How many 1st round receivers did Seattle have? (Harvin was a trade) There are durable receivers to bring in that will upgrade. WCO does not require a dominant receiver. Just a durable receiver with hands. Sammy Watkins isn't going to be there. If I have to pick between HaHa and a TE, I pick HaHa. Look what seattle's secondary did. Jets will sign a durable receiver or two. Drafting a receiver in the 1st is not a must

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seattle's runs the ball more then they pass, which allows them to have guys like rice, tate, etc because they will catch the ball. West coast scheme means they need quick receivers that can catch. Watkins, Maclin fit that perfectly. Do I think they will trade up for Watkins, no, but I want them to because he is a beast. To be honest anything is an upgrade at the skill position. It is sad when david nelson leads a team in catches lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paragraphs are your friend, my friend
    But I agree. I would go with Nicks or Maclin on a flyer since they are coming off injured / subpar years. If we don't trade up, I think Lee will fall to 18. Dark horse pick could be Eric Ebron. (TE)

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sry I am new to this and learning lol.. Maclin over nicks. I am not a fan of Lee, rather go after fsu kelvin Benjamin if we do not trade up. Benjamin is a big body and sure hands.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seattle had a complete team which included a very good D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson is a much better QB than Geno so he can win without any great receivers. We need to build at the WR and Tight End positions to compensate for Geno's limitations as a QB. Wilson is the 5th best QB in the NFL right now. Where's Geno ranked? 28th?

Complete team my ass your not winning s with Stephen Hill and Jeremy Maclin. That's not even a playoff team.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 02-12-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Paragraphs are your friend, my friend
    But I agree. I would go with Nicks or Maclin on a flyer since they are coming off injured / subpar years. If we don't trade up, I think Lee will fall to 18. Dark horse pick could be Eric Ebron. (TE)
    Not that i'm a huge Nicks fan,but would he sign w the JETS for a little less than another new team,so he just has to change locker rooms & Jerseys not his or his families whole life?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Wilson is a much better QB than Geno so he can win without any great receivers. We need to build at the WR and Tight End positions to compensate for Geno's limitations as a QB. Wilson is the 5th best QB in the NFL right now. Where's Geno ranked? 28th?

Complete team my ass your not winning s with Stephen Hill and Jeremy Maclin. That's not even a playoff team.
    We need TE, WR's no matter who is QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    We need TE, WR's no matter who is QB.
    Exactly so why do I keep hearing scrubs like Jeremy Maclin or Sidney Rice who are coming off major injuries? Enough with the cheapo negligent nonsense or "complete team" nonsense. We're going to parade out trash at the WR and TE positions just so we have the NFL's best backup punter next year? Michael Vick and Matt Schaub running the wildcat is winning me a Super Bowl?

Trade up for Watkins and sign Nicks or Decker. No more BS

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly so why do I keep hearing scrubs like Jeremy Maclin or Sidney Rice who are coming off major injuries? Enough with the cheapo negligent nonsense or "complete team" nonsense. We're going to parade out trash at the WR and TE positions just so we have the NFL's best backup punter next year? Michael Vick and Matt Schaub running the wildcat is winning me a Super Bowl?

So you are certain enough that sammy watkins (6 feet 205) will be a better player than marquise lee (6 feet 195) that you want to give up at least a 3rd and probably more one of the deepest drafts in years to get him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with this. If there's a QB worth getting, I think they should trade up for that. The QB position is far from solved. The WR spot will not ultimately be solved in one FA period either unless Idzik wants to go crazy spending money. I don't believe that is Idzik's way. I think he'll sign more second tier FA's and make a big splash in the draft. With 12 draft picks, they'll likely have the ammunition to trade up and grab a big name.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also would like to see Watkins in green and white but it would be too expensive for the Jets to trade up to get him
    Atlanta had "Matty Ice" before going all in on Julio Jones, they made a run but dropped out last year when Julio got hurt
    Jets can't go all in for Watkins, the Tanny days are over and Idzik needs all of the picks to re-build this team

Agree with Maine that QB is not solved, if the goal is to really compensate for QB limitations then Jets should continue to draft defense, Bengals have talent in the offensive skill position and no playoff wins...

Remember Keyshon with no QB, how did that work out? great for TB who won with a great defense

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting defense would be a slap in all our faces lol. Worse case if they draft a TE or G instead of trading up, but I still believe Watkins is going to put up big numbers for any team hes on. I am not a fan of drafting a TE in 1st rd but anything is better then what the jets had last year on offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So you are certain enough that sammy watkins (6 feet 205) will be a better player than marquise lee (6 feet 195) that you want to give up at least a 3rd and probably more one of the deepest drafts in years to get him?
    Sammy Watkins = Victor Cruz

Watkins is the best WR in this year's draft and if you pair him up with someone legit like Nicks or Decker and he only has to match up against #2 Cover Corners then yes that mediocre JAG we get with the 3rd round pick is absolutely worth the trade up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry man but I just don't follow your logic here. Maclin is a scrub because he's coming off an injury, but Nicks (who has been plagued by injuries, has questions of his commitment, and character questions) is legit? Decker has put up tremendous numbers but there are concerns about his ability to be a number 1 guy and concerns about his stats being inflated because of his qb, but you automatically label him as legit.

Guys like Maclin are not trash, hes coming off a major injury following four very solid to very good years. Rice is different, always seems dinged up, so yes I'd pass on him as well. No one here is advocating we sign bargain basement players so we can afford a backup punter. What people are saying is that they'd rather not blow a huge stack of cash on someone like Decker who has questions regarding his ability to be a #1 guy because despite our 8-8 record last year, there's still a lack of talent on this team and there are several positions that need upgrading. In terms of your "complete team nonsense", I ask what would you call Seattle? A very good-great defense, very good special teams, and a very good offense. Sounds like a complete team to me, how'd that work for them this year? I'd rather try to build a complete adaptable team rather than one that's loaded with name players, which seems like what you're leaning towards (not trying to put words in your mouth, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Many also don't want to trade away draft picks in what most call a very deep draft. Mike T traded away lots of picks (he did bring in solid pieces with some of those picks like Cro, Braylon, etc) but by trading those picks he left us with an alarming lack of depth. With all the injuries that an nfl suffers throughout the season, you need as much quality depth as possible.
    Last edited by Led Halen; 02-13-2014 at 01:51 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    I'm sorry man but I just don't follow your logic here. Maclin is a scrub because he's coming off an injury, but Nicks (who has been plagued by injuries, has questions of his commitment, and character questions) is legit? Decker has put up tremendous numbers but there are concerns about his ability to be a number 1 guy and concerns about his stats being inflated because of his qb, but you automatically label him as legit.

Guys like Maclin are not trash, hes coming off a major injury following four very solid to very good years. Rice is different, always seems dinged up, so yes I'd pass on him as well. No one here is advocating we sign bargain basement players so we can afford a backup punter. What people are saying is that they'd rather not blow a huge stack of cash on someone like Decker who has questions regarding his ability to be a #1 guy because despite our 8-8 record last year, there's still a lack of talent on this team and there are several positions that need upgrading.

Many also don't want to trade away draft picks in what most call a very deep draft. Mike T traded away lots of picks (he did bring in solid pieces with some of those picks like Cro, Braylon, etc) but by trading those picks he left us with an alarming lack of depth. With all the injuries that an nfl suffers throughout the season, you need as much quality depth as possible.
    Maclin was never that good to begin with and he's a speed receiver coming off a Torn ACL he missed an entire season with. Hakeem Nicks is the picture of health compared to Jeremy friggin Maclin I don't get you guys every year there's some scrub #2 WR out there you think if he just comes to the Jets will turn into the next Terrell Owens. Two years ago it was Robert Meachem and Mario Manningham. Meachem especially people on this site were going wild over.

I'm not a huge Eric Decker fan and I'm against giving him big money but if you pair him up with a Sammy Watkins I can definitely support that.

If we sign Maclin, sit pat in the draft, and say resign Cumberland and/or go after waiver wire guy like Zach Miller this is not a playoff team next year. We'd be lucky to even go 8-8 again.

I'm so sick and tired of this organization being negligent at WR and TE.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sry I am new to this and learning lol.. Maclin over nicks. I am not a fan of Lee, rather go after fsu kelvin Benjamin if we do not trade up. Benjamin is a big body and sure hands.
    Actually, the knock on Benjamin is he occasionally drops easy passes. If the Jets want a big-bodied, sure-handed WR, they better trade up for Mike Evans.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Cro & Detjets, there's no way we're trading up for Watkins. He is easily a top 5 pick, if he doesn't go there he wont fall past 7 and thats an expensive trade up from 18. We stand put at 18 and select BPA whether thats TE, WR or a S, OL, or OLB. If Watkins, Lee, and Evans are off the board, that means some stud defensive player is going to fall. Could you pass on a prospect like CJ Mosley or Clinton-Dix (who seems to be a better prospect than Vacarro last year) for Ebron or another WR who you might get in the 2nd?

Personally, I don't think Watkins is the best WR in the draft, but I'm not an expert. I like Lee a lot, but I can see the reasoning why others see Mike Evans as the top WR in the draft. I also don't agree with TE at 18. Im not sold on Ebron, who is only 6'3 240. I would love to get ASJ in the second, but I fear he's going late 1st or early second.

As far as the free agent WR's go, I think Maclin would be a good pickup. Obviously he is not a number 1 receiver, but he is good and could come back strong from that injury. I'm not a fan of Decker, and I think Nicks is absolutely worth a flyer.

I just don't think we should force ourselves into settling for an offensive skill player because he is the best guy left on the board in that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Benjamin is big and can probably run a 4.5. He's a beast fighting for the ball (the exact opposite of Stephen Hill in that category). The knock on him is his hands. Drops a lot. If Idzik can find a trade-down partner, I'd be happy with him 10 or more picks lower if we can get another late 2d rounder or early 3rd. Not sure Benjamin is a great value at 18. Frankly, I'd rather have him than Lee.