Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kicker Nick Folk on Jets: 'We'd love to stay

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    There are plenty of other teams that have kickers that can do both - I for one am tired of settling.

Field position is just as important as kicking FG's.

It may not put points on the board, but, in terms of your opponents field position, it can help keep points off the board for the opposing team.
    Nick Folk ranked 8th in the NFL last year with a 22.3 yard average return, which counts touchbacks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still can't believe some of the thoughts in this thread. No one thinks he should get $4 mil+ a year. If he asks for that, then he may have to move on.

But people ready to cast aside Folk to "just get someone better" clearly can't recall how long it took to find someone as reliable as Folk has been for four seasons. The other ridiculous part of this argument is that if you find someone who is more reliable than Folk...well...won't they want more money too?!?!

Jet fans want the best at all positions...until they get it, then it's time to let them go so "we" can save money. You can't have a pro-bowler at every position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are plenty of other teams that have kickers that can do both - I for one am tired of settling.
    Well, according to Parafly's post above, Folk apparently is one of those "plenty" of kickers. That, or the coverage teams didn't have as hard a time as you intimated. What say you now?

Field position is just as important as kicking FG's.
    Your saying that doesn't make it true, you realize that, right? That you may actually believe it is baffling. It's not like the other team is starting at the 40 or something preposterous like that. And even if they were, the Jets have an elite D I am told, so there's that. Plus, I remember hearing that you don't take points off the board (when referencing FGs), which would seem to imply that they are kinda important and hard to come by.

It may not put points on the board, but, in terms of your opponents field position, it can help keep points off the board for the opposing team.
    Sure it can. For that matter, it can also help to put points on the board for your team. But so does a stout defense, a good return game and a quality punter, none of who are PRIMARILY tasked with scoring, something a FG kicker is. Get it?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Still can't believe some of the thoughts in this thread. No one thinks he should get $4 mil+ a year. If he asks for that, then he may have to move on.

But people ready to cast aside Folk to "just get someone better" clearly can't recall how long it took to find someone as reliable as Folk has been for four seasons. The other ridiculous part of this argument is that if you find someone who is more reliable than Folk...well...won't they want more money too?!?!

Jet fans want the best at all positions...until they get it, then it's time to let them go so "we" can save money. You can't have a pro-bowler at every position.
    Many fans operate on emotion where the cap requires cool judgement.

Tanny was a guy who consistently overpaid to keep his FA's. Eventually that gutted the depth of the roster.

Idzik is probably the antidote to that. He is very cerebral. But we will watch some of our FA's walk because of it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    Many fans operate on emotion where the cap requires cool judgement.

Tanny was a guy who consistently overpaid to keep his FA's. Eventually that gutted the depth of the roster.

Idzik is probably the antidote to that. He is very cerebral. But we will watch some of our FA's walk because of it.
    I certainly respect the impact of the cap and very rarely get emotional about players. But a couple extra million for the best kicker the franchise has had in 30 years? They can't swing that?

This is not Sanchez collecting $8 million while sitting on the bench. This is not Santonio making $500K per reception. This is a kicker who (at least to me) has solidified the position and is coming off his best year. If anyone deserves a raise, it's Folk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe there's one Jets fan here(ARod) who thinks that TOUCHBACKS are more important than KICKING AND MAKING FIELD GOALS.

Yes, that's what you're basically saying, Arod. You'd rather have a Kicker who causes touchbacks and just cross your fingers when he kicks FG's. SCREW THAT CRAP!!

RE-SIGN FOLK TO A 3-YEAR DEAL(Reasonable Money, I hope) AND WE'RE GOLDEN AT THE ONE POSITION THAT THE JETS HAVE TRIED FILLING IN TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN WITH NO SUCCESS UNTIL THESE PAST 4 SEASONS.
    Last edited by Vin; 02-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a kicker that can kick touchbacks on kickoff's consistently which is Folk's biggest weakness.

I think the Jets should find a kicker that is capable of doing that - and that definitely is not Nick Folk.

That's one of the reasons our special teams were so atrocious last season, our gunners didn't have enough time to get down the field and make tackles because Folk's KO's were always short and had no hangtime so we were always giving up good starting field position to the opposing team.

I am really surprised nobody else has mentioned that or seems to care and that most of you seem content to have Folk back.

There is alot more to a good reliable kicker then just kicking FG's.

I think Adam Vinateri is scheduled to be a free agent this off sseason, thats who I would target unless the Jets front office can find a young up and coming Kicker.

We need another punter too.
    What you're really saying here is that you want Nick Folk resigned, you just wish he'd get better on kicking touchbacks, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I can't believe there's one Jets fan here(ARod) who thinks that TOUCHBACKS are more important than KICKING AND MAKING FIELD GOALS.

Yes, that's what you're basically saying, Arod. You'd rather have a Kicker who causes touchbacks and just cross your fingers when he kicks FG's. SCREW THAT CRAP!!

RE-SIGN FOLK TO A 3-YEAR DEAL(Reasonable Money, I hope) AND WE'RE GOLDEN AT THE ONE POSITION THAT THE JETS HAVE TRIED FILLING IN TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN WITH NO SUCCESS UNTIL THESE PAST 4 SEASONS.
    Namath can kick.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets are going to overpay, let them overpay for a kicker. What's Folk going to get, like 200k more - and that means the Jets overpaid? It's worth it for him.

Overpaying and it hurting you is like when you pay a QB 13 million/year, and he's worth 1/10th of that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    If the Jets are going to overpay, let them overpay for a kicker. What's Folk going to get, like 200k more - and that means the Jets overpaid? It's worth it for him.

Overpaying and it hurting you is like when you pay a QB 13 million/year, and he's worth 1/10th of that.
    Pay Folk Hero. I've seen too many kickers who can't kick in a big spot. Folk Hero isn't bothered by pressure. If he misses, it's because of something that went wrong beneath his shoulders. As I said earlier in this thread, he has some big balls.

I've seen too many chokers. Brien, Kaeding, Cundiff, AJ Feeley, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Well, according to Parafly's post above, Folk apparently is one of those "plenty" of kickers. That, or the coverage teams didn't have as hard a time as you intimated. What say you now?
    I could give a sh!t about your posts or parafly's posts. The bottom line is kicker and punter are two positions within our special teams unit that we can improve upon and I think the front office should do it.

If we get stuck with Folk for another season, so be it but it's really hard to believe that we can't find a kicker that is good on KO's and can kick FG's too, the majority of teams in the NFL have been able to do it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could give a sh!t about your posts or parafly's posts. The bottom line is kicker and punter are two positions within our special teams unit that we can improve upon and I think the front office should do it.

If we get stuck with Folk for another season, so be it but it's really hard to believe that we can't find a kicker that is good on KO's and can kick FG's too, the majority of teams in the NFL have been able to do it.
    who do you think we should get?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    who do you think we should get?
    Thats the trick, we don't even know who will be available on the free agent market yet as cuts are still being made and we could always draft one in the late rounds, we have plenty of draft picks this year.

The Patriots drafted Stephen Gostkowski in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft with the 118th pick after they let Vinateri walk in free agency.

I am not saying we should draft a kicker that high, but, the draft is an option and then there is always a chance of bringing in a UDFA.

Folk is only 29 which is a plus and he made several game winning kicks for us last season, I get that. But I absolutely cringe everytime he kicks the ball off and it comes fluttering down at the 5 yd line - with a tail wind behind it.

You get a bad weather game (which tends to happen in the playoffs) where the battle for field position can often be the deciding factor in the game, and you have a kicker that can't kick the ball into the end zone in good weather, its just a matter of time before it bites you in the a$s.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 02-14-2014 at 03:20 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. Jay Feeley in 2009 was better than every Folk season before last year. Was Folk really the diamond in the rough we were desperate to find? Before 2013 he was very average, there's a reason he was playing on a year to year deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this at all. Jay Feeley in 2009 was better than every Folk season before last year. Was Folk really the diamond in the rough we were desperate to find? Before 2013 he was very average, there's a reason he was playing on a year to year deal.
    True, Feely was very good in '09. But do you remember what his worst game was that year? The AFCCG. He missed two kicks in that game...saved his worst for the big stage. By the way, that great playoff run in '09 was largely propelled by FIVE missed FGs (four within 40 yards) in two games from two kickers widely viewed as "good" at the time. Worth noting.

Folk meanwhile has hit countless game-winners for this team. 5 FGs in the rain against Min in '10. GW against Detroit where the Jets stole one the same year. GW against IND in the playoffs same year. He wasn't much of a factor in '11 or '12, because the team was blown out so often. This past year, when the team hung in, they were rewarded with money kicks (Bucs, Falcons, Pats, Saints-4 big FGs in that win).

I would just hate to see a position that has become solidified after 30 years of flux become an issue again because the team gets greedy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Namath can kick.....
    My ass? You betcha....

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick is a good kicker & because the team had such crap to work with last season he was a "hero" in helping win games by a field goal. I say pay the man, he earned it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The "majority of teams in the NFL" haven't been able to do it and the stats bear that out. As for units we can improve upon, I would say most of the Jets squad could fall into that category, same for many other teams.

As for "giving a sh!t", if you choose to wallow in the ignorance that is what you believe to be true, facts be damned, have at it. But make sure you have your big-boy pants on when you get taken to task for holding those views.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Pay Folk Hero. I've seen too many kickers who can't kick in a big spot. Folk Hero isn't bothered by pressure. If he misses, it's because of something that went wrong beneath his shoulders. As I said earlier in this thread, he has some big balls.

I've seen too many chokers. Brien, Kaeding, Cundiff, AJ Feeley, etc.
    Our last two kickers have been good and our castoff Novak has done pretty good in San Diego. Graham Gano was exiled from the NFL like 2 years ago now he's the Panthers star kicker. BL: Kickers are easy to find don't overpay them and definitely don't waste 2nd round picks on them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Our last two kickers have been good and our castoff Novak has done pretty good in San Diego. Graham Gano was exiled from the NFL like 2 years ago now he's the Panthers star kicker. BL: Kickers are easy to find don't overpay them and definitely don't waste 2nd round picks on them.
    +1. Offer Folk a reasonable deal making him a top 5-10 paid kicker. If that's not enough, replace him.