Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 103

Thread: First JetsInsider VIP to Come Out

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    There may be a deeper reason why that was allowed.. http://godfatherpolitics.com/11890/h...nthony-weiner/
    Good thing Weiner was such a tool.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Wide awake, talking about present day US law. Citing pre 1967 some jurisdictions holding onto antiquated laws doesn't change it. Neither does bringing in Nazi Germany, the middle east, Russia etc.
    It's a good historical analogy. Laws change and it's a good example of something that once seemed preposterous, but now is taken for granted. Gay marriage is in that process right now.

  3. #63
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Wide awake, talking about present day US law. Citing pre 1967 some jurisdictions holding onto antiquated laws doesn't change it. Neither does bringing in Nazi Germany, the middle east, Russia etc.
    Defending yourself is unnecessary; the parallel was drawn, and you whiffed. Stay on topic.

  4. #64
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's a good historical analogy. Laws change and it's a good example of something that once seemed preposterous, but now is taken for granted. Gay marriage is in that process right now.
    There it is.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    There it is.
    My contribution

  6. #66
    I missed the first thread on this before it was locked, but just felt like adding my 2 cents. This isn't directed at any one poster in particular.

    Why does Michael Sam matter?
    He's the first. Once more and more players come out (most likely coming from college, similar to Sam) I guarantee it will be less and less of a story. No one blinks an eye at a black quarterback now, but when they were first starting to break into the league it was a huge freakin' deal. If a woman broke into the league, it would be just as big of a story.
    Also, it matters because in many states, you can be legally denied a job or fired if your boss finds out that you're gay, but if you're religious (which is 100% a choice, unlike being gay) you're fully protected. In many places, if it's found out that you're gay, you will be ostracized and ridiculed. Families will disown gay kids. The suicide rate among gay teens is way above the national average because of this. For kids to see someone like Michael Sam reach the pinnacle of his profession is a big deal.

    I don't care what he does behind closed doors/stop rubbing it in my face, etc.
    This response makes no sense. Michael Sam isn't inviting Jon Gruden into his bedroom to give him pre-draft tips. He just stated he's gay. Straight people flaunt the fact that they're straight all the time. Ever walk down the street holding hands with your girlfriend or wife? Have a wedding picture up at work? Put your arm around your girl at the movies? You're announcing to everyone that you're straight. And I guarantee that (almost) nobody is thinking about your sex life. Why is it when someone says they're gay, people say "Stop rubbing it in my face!" He's not hitting on you or shooting a porn that you'll be forced to watch, so it's real easy to not think about the sex part if you don't want to.

    The media circus will be too much to draft him
    If the media circus is such a big deal then I expect Johnny Manziel will go undrafted, right? He's going to attract as much, if not more media scrutiny as Sam will. If the media is such a big deal, then no one would ever want to use the first overall pick, right? It's the National Football League. There is going to be media around all the time (unless you're the Jaguars). If players can't handle the media, they don't belong in the league (and in New York especially). Michael Sam has shown so far that he's pretty adept at handling national interviews, so I don't think that will matter one bit.

    The fact of the matter is that this kid was the defensive player of the year in the SEC last year. If he goes undrafted, there's really only one reason why, and it will be a huge black eye for the league.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by OBENjet View Post
    I missed the first thread on this before it was locked, but just felt like adding my 2 cents. This isn't directed at any one poster in particular.

    Why does Michael Sam matter?
    He's the first. Once more and more players come out (most likely coming from college, similar to Sam) I guarantee it will be less and less of a story. No one blinks an eye at a black quarterback now, but when they were first starting to break into the league it was a huge freakin' deal. If a woman broke into the league, it would be just as big of a story.
    Also, it matters because in many states, you can be legally denied a job or fired if your boss finds out that you're gay, but if you're religious (which is 100% a choice, unlike being gay) you're fully protected. In many places, if it's found out that you're gay, you will be ostracized and ridiculed. Families will disown gay kids. The suicide rate among gay teens is way above the national average because of this. For kids to see someone like Michael Sam reach the pinnacle of his profession is a big deal.

    I don't care what he does behind closed doors/stop rubbing it in my face, etc.
    This response makes no sense. Michael Sam isn't inviting Jon Gruden into his bedroom to give him pre-draft tips. He just stated he's gay. Straight people flaunt the fact that they're straight all the time. Ever walk down the street holding hands with your girlfriend or wife? Have a wedding picture up at work? Put your arm around your girl at the movies? You're announcing to everyone that you're straight. And I guarantee that (almost) nobody is thinking about your sex life. Why is it when someone says they're gay, people say "Stop rubbing it in my face!" He's not hitting on you or shooting a porn that you'll be forced to watch, so it's real easy to not think about the sex part if you don't want to.

    The media circus will be too much to draft him
    If the media circus is such a big deal then I expect Johnny Manziel will go undrafted, right? He's going to attract as much, if not more media scrutiny as Sam will. If the media is such a big deal, then no one would ever want to use the first overall pick, right? It's the National Football League. There is going to be media around all the time (unless you're the Jaguars). If players can't handle the media, they don't belong in the league (and in New York especially). Michael Sam has shown so far that he's pretty adept at handling national interviews, so I don't think that will matter one bit.

    The fact of the matter is that this kid was the defensive player of the year in the SEC last year. If he goes undrafted, there's really only one reason why, and it will be a huge black eye for the league.
    I guarantee he won't go undrafted, but in all honesty the media circus would concern me if I were a HC. You are going to have non-football media ala Tebow, a huge distraction at least initially.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    Being anti-gay marriage is being anti-gay. How can you be for a group if you don't believe that they have the same rights? Change gay to black and then tell me that you aren't being anti-black if you feel that blacks shouldn't marry whites. That is intellectually dishonest.
    Not necessarily. The understanding of marriage as being between one man and one woman is an understanding of marriage that shows why laws against interracial marriage are WRONG. If the nature of marriage is such that marriage is between one man and one woman, then laws that say the man and woman have to be the same race are simply unjust discrimination.

  9. #69
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gateway to the Catskills
    Posts
    1,840
    As long as people on this site think that calling others on this site gay is some kind of witty insult, acts like Michael Sam's and Ellen Page's will be significant. As long as implying that someone is gay is a weapon that people will wield thinking it will hurt the target of their insult, it will matter. How many of you who say it's no big deal are also happy to call FF2 or Tyler Durden 2.0 gay in the thought that you are somehow insulting them? If you truly think it's no big deal, you wouldn't use it as a weapon.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    As long as people on this site think that calling others on this site gay is some kind of witty insult, acts like Michael Sam's and Ellen Page's will be significant. As long as implying that someone is gay is a weapon that people will wield thinking it will hurt the target of their insult, it will matter. How many of you who say it's no big deal are also happy to call FF2 or Tyler Durden 2.0 gay in the thought that you are somehow insulting them? If you truly think it's no big deal, you wouldn't use it as a weapon.
    You made it move.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    As long as people on this site think that calling others on this site gay is some kind of witty insult, acts like Michael Sam's and Ellen Page's will be significant. As long as implying that someone is gay is a weapon that people will wield thinking it will hurt the target of their insult, it will matter. How many of you who say it's no big deal are also happy to call FF2 or Tyler Durden 2.0 gay in the thought that you are somehow insulting them? If you truly think it's no big deal, you wouldn't use it as a weapon.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by OBENjet View Post
    I missed the first thread on this before it was locked, but just felt like adding my 2 cents. This isn't directed at any one poster in particular.

    Why does Michael Sam matter?
    He's the first. Once more and more players come out (most likely coming from college, similar to Sam) I guarantee it will be less and less of a story. No one blinks an eye at a black quarterback now, but when they were first starting to break into the league it was a huge freakin' deal. If a woman broke into the league, it would be just as big of a story.
    Also, it matters because in many states, you can be legally denied a job or fired if your boss finds out that you're gay, but if you're religious (which is 100% a choice, unlike being gay) you're fully protected. In many places, if it's found out that you're gay, you will be ostracized and ridiculed. Families will disown gay kids. The suicide rate among gay teens is way above the national average because of this. For kids to see someone like Michael Sam reach the pinnacle of his profession is a big deal.

    I don't care what he does behind closed doors/stop rubbing it in my face, etc.
    This response makes no sense. Michael Sam isn't inviting Jon Gruden into his bedroom to give him pre-draft tips. He just stated he's gay. Straight people flaunt the fact that they're straight all the time. Ever walk down the street holding hands with your girlfriend or wife? Have a wedding picture up at work? Put your arm around your girl at the movies? You're announcing to everyone that you're straight. And I guarantee that (almost) nobody is thinking about your sex life. Why is it when someone says they're gay, people say "Stop rubbing it in my face!" He's not hitting on you or shooting a porn that you'll be forced to watch, so it's real easy to not think about the sex part if you don't want to.

    The media circus will be too much to draft him
    If the media circus is such a big deal then I expect Johnny Manziel will go undrafted, right? He's going to attract as much, if not more media scrutiny as Sam will. If the media is such a big deal, then no one would ever want to use the first overall pick, right? It's the National Football League. There is going to be media around all the time (unless you're the Jaguars). If players can't handle the media, they don't belong in the league (and in New York especially). Michael Sam has shown so far that he's pretty adept at handling national interviews, so I don't think that will matter one bit.

    The fact of the matter is that this kid was the defensive player of the year in the SEC last year. If he goes undrafted, there's really only one reason why, and it will be a huge black eye for the league.
    Couldn't of said it better myself.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Defending yourself is unnecessary; the parallel was drawn, and you whiffed. Stay on topic.
    Whatever makes you happy.

    You want to believe a couple of states in 67 is an answer to my saying there is no law today, go for it.

  14. #74
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    That's fine, there are also plenty of people who believe white people should only marry white people, and black people should only marry black people. It's not illegal to hold those views, nor should it. But that doesn't mean our government should ban those marriages, does it?
    This is another intellectually disingenuous argument. We're talking about what you CALL something. The most amicable solution to the gay marriage debate would be to legally recognize civil union between same sex partners as they do marriage between a man and woman. Ultimately this is a civil recognition issue, not a civil rights issues. Throwing in your false equivalencies is not making your argument.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    ..I am a lesbian trapped in a male body!
    I've been saying that in a long long time.

    I am out as well. I am a male lesbian.

  16. #76
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    The logic to hate crime is that includes elements of terrorism. Burning a cross on a lawn is not like like having a common trespass. It's meant to invoke terror and should be treated as such.
    Well, that would make sense if "elements of terrorism" were a prerequisite for prosecution of a hate crime. They are not. It's pretty arbitrarily apllied.

  17. #77
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    Being anti-gay marriage is being anti-gay. How can you be for a group if you don't believe that they have the same rights? Change gay to black and then tell me that you aren't being anti-black if you feel that blacks shouldn't marry whites. That is intellectually dishonest.
    No, it's not. As stated above, this is not a civil right issue. It's a civil recognition issue. By your logic, Obama and most democrats were anti-gay until 2 years ago.

    The whole interracial example is a false equivalency. Men and women are different. For thousands of years it served as social pact for the express purpose of procreation. The definition of marriage is obviously evolving, but to characterize those who believe in tradition marriage is a great example of progressive intolerance.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    This is another intellectually disingenuous argument. We're talking about what you CALL something. The most amicable solution to the gay marriage debate would be to legally recognize civil union between same sex partners as they do marriage between a man and woman. Ultimately this is a civil recognition issue, not a civil rights issues. Throwing in your false equivalencies is not making your argument.

    Separate, but equal, is not equal. Besides marriages and civil unions are not equal under the eyes of the law. There is a big difference between them.

    http://www.glad.org/uploads/docs/pub...s-marriage.pdf
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 02-17-2014 at 03:59 PM.

  19. #79
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,772
    Social climbing preposterousness to suit .03 of the population that doesn't suit society will never be accepted, approved or "taken for granted" by most.

    Especially when bakers are forced to bake them wedding cakes by gubmint order....

    And despite what some glib, ign'ant pukes have to say here, the GOP cares not about what people do in their bedroom, (D) does,
    for those .03 voting bloc of course.

    The Jets and a few other teams had a guy with skills like Sam I am, named Maybin.

  20. #80
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,373
    He, Maybin, gay?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us