Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Calvin Pryor should be on the Jets radar.

  1. #1

    Calvin Pryor should be on the Jets radar.

    I truly believe it's time to close the hole at safety once & for all. We need to stop wasting the efforts we get from our Dline to see yet another deep completion made by a QB in trouble.
    We might have 12 picks.
    Every single scouting report I have read has this draft with 98 underclassman entering the draft, the best draft for WRs in a very long time.
    Picking at 18 tells me that chances are the top 3 of those wideouts might be gone. Here is my idea of how to finally get this defense rocking & still fill the offensive Till for Geno.
    With so many WRs in the 2014 draft, free agent WRs are in for big surprise. Sure, Decker will get overpaid but for the most part teams will forgo big dollar free agent WRs & hope the price comes down after the draft.
    Most of the FA WRs have question marks anyway, so why pay big bucks?
    After the draft players like Britt & Nicks might still be available to fill out a receiving core.
    So with that in mind I'm looking three FA targets before the draft.
    1- Jeremy Maclin (knows MMs system, doesn't have to move far & I believe will play under a slightly elevated show me contract)
    2- TJWard (Idzik grabs a young safety to start the secondary makeover)
    3- Sign a CB from Cro, Shields, Verner, Thurmond (whichever player you can get for the best price)

    Draft
    18- Calvin Pryor (with TJWard, the Jets just went from some of the worst safeties to a kick azz duo that can do it all for Rex. Interchangeable players that even allow Rex to use Allen as a backup.)
    2nd- Dee Ford (I know, I know, your saying another defensive player? Yes. Dee allows us to let Pace go as Barnes will be the vet designated pass rusher with Ford getting his feet wet in games with a lead & Barnes needing a breather)
    3rd- Odell Beckham (here's your young WR you were all waiting for)
    3rd- Tre Mason (MM gets his shady McCoy lite, a player that can catch the ball out of the backfield, make that 1st guy miss, & be used on wheel routes like the Pats use Vareen.)
    4th- (I'm hoping a TE like Nicklas is here for us)
    We should have 7 more picks to go BPA & since we filled some glaring holes it allows Idzik to go BPA the rest of the way.
    In a perfect world a player like Nicks is still looking for a home & the Jets get him for a good FA deal.
    With Maclin, Kerley, Beckham, Nicks, Nelson, Sudfeld, Niklas, Cumby, Ivory, Mason, Powell, that should be enough talent around Geno to move into the middle of the pack on offense.
    If Idzik hits on a couple of Gems with those last 7 picks & the undrafted FAs available the Defense could be something to behold.
    Blast away fellow Jet fans.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Love the picks.

    But realistically, Ford won't be there with our 2nd round pick (looks like a late first now after Senior Bowl).
    Beckham almost certainly won't be there in the 3rd (might be late first to mid-2nd)
    FWIW, walterfootball.com has Tre Mason going in the 2nd as well but I could see him being there in the 3rd (or a similarly talented RB prospect).

    If we go Pryor in the 1st, I'd rather see us go WR in the 2nd (Adams or Landry should be there) and then grab the LB in the 3rd instead (Marcus Smith, Trent Murphy?). Value is value, but we really, really need to get some young talent on the offense and I just can't see us skipping the first two rounds unless there's a real surprise the falls in our lap in the 2nd.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,332
    Im sure he is

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Love the picks.

    But realistically, Ford won't be there with our 2nd round pick (looks like a late first now after Senior Bowl).
    Beckham almost certainly won't be there in the 3rd (might be late first to mid-2nd)
    FWIW, walterfootball.com has Tre Mason going in the 2nd as well but I could see him being there in the 3rd (or a similarly talented RB prospect).

    If we go Pryor in the 1st, I'd rather see us go WR in the 2nd (Adams or Landry should be there) and then grab the LB in the 3rd instead (Marcus Smith, Trent Murphy?). Value is value, but we really, really need to get some young talent on the offense and I just can't see us skipping the first two rounds unless there's a real surprise the falls in our lap in the 2nd.
    Agreed. I'm not opposed to a guy like Calvin Pryor per se, but those draft picks afterward are all out of whack. Ford will not make it to the 49th pick. Beckham will be gone in the late first/early second.There are much better pass catching RB's to be gotten later than Mason, unless you're going for Carey... Sims and Grice jump out as big time pass catching guys. If we go defense in the first, we'd better follow up with a lot of offense... If we have Maclin, I don't want Beckham anyway. Rather have a bigger possession receiver like Robinson or Matthews, or even ASJ if he's still there and take a receiver in the early 3rd. Niklas will be long gone by the 4th. TE is not very deep in this draft. We'd probably be talking somebody like Merrell Jensen in the 4th, who would probably be a reach, but that's the story with the pass catching TE's recently. They go way too fast and too high as a general rule. Take a RB in the 4th or 5th.... that's a deep position along with WR.

  5. #5
    Odell will be gone by the 2nd

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Odell will be gone by the 2nd
    With all of the underclassman in this draft there will be plenty of WRs still around in the 4th-6th/ or RBs
    I think this is where Idzik will make offensive hay. I'm sure you guys are correct with my choices being gone but you never know.
    If Idzik does get a combo of Maclin & Nicks, it would tough for a rookie WR to break in right away anway.
    Even rookie RBs would be slowly incorporated into the offense with Ivory & Powell here.
    At TE, Sudfeld might surprise with an entire offseason in the weight room & a full camp.
    He's a pretty athletic dude who Belichick used as a scapegoat to cut to shake up the young receivers there like Thompkins & Dobson, I don't think he thought a team like the Jets would claim him on waivers.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,289
    Drafting defense in the first and second round, and then expecting players like Beckham, Mason, and Niklas too be available in the later rounds is unrealistic. It would be a nice haul but it's not gonna happen because the players you like in the later rounds have no chance of being there.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Drafting defense in the first and second round, and then expecting players like Beckham, Mason, and Niklas too be available in the later rounds is unrealistic. It would be a nice haul but it's not gonna happen because the players you like in the later rounds have no chance of being there.
    Well we'll see?
    Weird stuff happens in drafts. I know Idzik doesn't like to trade picks but 12 players won't make this team anyway so you might see him use some of those later picks to hope to move up.
    As a fan I'm only picking the players & positions we need, so my point remains the same about fixing our safety & OLB position at the top of the draft. There will plenty of good picks at WR & RB when we pick in the 3rd (2 picks), and our 4th pick.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I truly believe it's time to close the hole at safety once & for all. We need to stop wasting the efforts we get from our Dline to see yet another deep completion made by a QB in trouble.
    We might have 12 picks.
    Every single scouting report I have read has this draft with 98 underclassman entering the draft, the best draft for WRs in a very long time.
    Picking at 18 tells me that chances are the top 3 of those wideouts might be gone. Here is my idea of how to finally get this defense rocking & still fill the offensive Till for Geno.
    With so many WRs in the 2014 draft, free agent WRs are in for big surprise. Sure, Decker will get overpaid but for the most part teams will forgo big dollar free agent WRs & hope the price comes down after the draft.
    Most of the FA WRs have question marks anyway, so why pay big bucks?
    After the draft players like Britt & Nicks might still be available to fill out a receiving core.
    So with that in mind I'm looking three FA targets before the draft.
    1- Jeremy Maclin (knows MMs system, doesn't have to move far & I believe will play under a slightly elevated show me contract)
    2- TJWard (Idzik grabs a young safety to start the secondary makeover)
    3- Sign a CB from Cro, Shields, Verner, Thurmond (whichever player you can get for the best price)

    Draft
    18- Calvin Pryor (with TJWard, the Jets just went from some of the worst safeties to a kick azz duo that can do it all for Rex. Interchangeable players that even allow Rex to use Allen as a backup.)
    2nd- Dee Ford (I know, I know, your saying another defensive player? Yes. Dee allows us to let Pace go as Barnes will be the vet designated pass rusher with Ford getting his feet wet in games with a lead & Barnes needing a breather)
    3rd- Odell Beckham (here's your young WR you were all waiting for)
    3rd- Tre Mason (MM gets his shady McCoy lite, a player that can catch the ball out of the backfield, make that 1st guy miss, & be used on wheel routes like the Pats use Vareen.)
    4th- (I'm hoping a TE like Nicklas is here for us)
    We should have 7 more picks to go BPA & since we filled some glaring holes it allows Idzik to go BPA the rest of the way.
    In a perfect world a player like Nicks is still looking for a home & the Jets get him for a good FA deal.
    With Maclin, Kerley, Beckham, Nicks, Nelson, Sudfeld, Niklas, Cumby, Ivory, Mason, Powell, that should be enough talent around Geno to move into the middle of the pack on offense.
    If Idzik hits on a couple of Gems with those last 7 picks & the undrafted FAs available the Defense could be something to behold.
    Blast away fellow Jet fans.
    Pryor and dee ford? No i'm sorry that's too much. And you expect beckham to be there in the 3rd? Why waste such a deep draft on non senseical defensive players when the team needs offensive help so badly.

    A potent offense or even an offense that grinds and owns time of possession will help the defense as much as pryor or god forbid dee ford will.

    Pryor in the first maybe but not the rest of the draft you laid out.

    sorry.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    Pryor and dee ford? No i'm sorry that's too much. And you expect beckham to be there in the 3rd? Why waste such a deep draft on non senseical defensive players when the team needs offensive help so badly.

    A potent offense or even an offense that grinds and owns time of possession will help the defense as much as pryor or god forbid dee ford will.

    Pryor in the first maybe but not the rest of the draft you laid out.

    sorry.
    Well, your welcome to your opinion just like I am to mine, we will see how this plays out in free agency & the draft.
    I just do not think that Idzik is gonna come blasting away with his top 4 picks all offense. Just my opinion.
    And if Beckham is not there in the 3rd I'm sure another talanted WR will still be there. All I keep hearing is "this guy won't be there & that guy won't be there", well 98 underclassman have entered the draft (most in draft history)! Like I have said an another thread NOT EVERY GOOD COLLEGE PLAYER WILL BE GONE IN THE 1ST 68 picks before we take our 1st third rounder!

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    Watch those highlights & imagine a TJ Ward/Calvin Pryor combination on the Jets over the next 4 years!
    I am so sick of the Jets having this kickazz Dline & weakazz safeties & LBs like Harris that can't cover!
    Grab Maclin-Jones-Ward in free agency
    Draft Pryor, WR, TE, OLB, RB, WR

  13. #13
    I like some of the ideas for sure there Jetster. (obv I don't think the 2nd 3rd picks will be there but like you I feel positive there are other good picks to be had)

    Chances are Watkins won't be there so were automatically supposed to take a TE or another WR because that's NFL's latest fad? Fck that.

    I take the best football player on the board and if that happens to be Pryor then by all means you pick the best football player. Also, there are mega WR to be had in rounds 2 3 4. I wanted TJ Ward coming out and still wouldn't mind him.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Well we'll see?
    Weird stuff happens in drafts. I know Idzik doesn't like to trade picks but 12 players won't make this team anyway so you might see him use some of those later picks to hope to move up.
    As a fan I'm only picking the players & positions we need, so my point remains the same about fixing our safety & OLB position at the top of the draft. There will plenty of good picks at WR & RB when we pick in the 3rd (2 picks), and our 4th pick.
    12 picks can make the team the Team has holes every where and most of the back up special teams can be upgraded.
    If Idzik can find four or more starters and 7-8 backups at a Million or lower for the next 4 or five years than you can go for the cherry on top Free Agents. I count at least 13 spots where we can upgrade. That's counting we resign Howard and Folk and bring back Cro.

    1 Backup Qb
    1 3rd Down Back
    2 Tightends
    3 Wideouts
    1 RG
    1 Punter

    2 OLB 1 Starter 1 Backup
    1 ILb backup
    1 Safety Starter
    1 Corner backup

  15. #15
    @NFL_CFB: Mayock: Calvin Pryor like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    @NFL_CFB: Mayock: Calvin Pryor like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders.
    Earl Thomas started the transformation for the Seahawks....Wilson busted the door down.
    I am praying that Pryor is sitting there at 18, Idzik likey I believe.

  17. #17
    I hope we resign Ed Reed if we take Pryor or any other safety that high. He would be an amazing teacher, and I don't think it's a coincidence Millner started playing better after we signed him.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    @NFL_CFB: Mayock: Calvin Pryor like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders.
    Hopefully he isn't injury prone like Sanders

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    @NFL_CFB: Mayock: Calvin Pryor like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders.
    I get the comparison, but Sanders was 5'8" and Pryor is 6'2". That's a huge difference, especially when covering TE's and bigger receivers.

  20. #20
    I like Pryor better than Clinton Dix, there's a lot of hype with that dude.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us