Thread: Crazy thought to get Geno the weapons he needs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy thought to get Geno the weapons he needs.

I know the general concensus is Idzik will sit still with his picks but can he really find positions for 12 draft picks?
    I was thinking about this new NFL & how defenders can barely touch offensive players anymore.
    Rex wants a chain moving crew that can rest his defense, Marty wants to take some shots to get some quick scores out of WCO.
    I would love to see us do something a little unconventional.
    In this scenario we get a little bit of both, power & speed.
    1st round- Evans falls to 18, 6'-5" 234 LBs
    2nd round- Jets trade up for ASJ & create absolute nightmare matchup problems with 2 guys that Geno can throw it up to & let them go get it!
    Free agents WRs- Jeremy Maclin- James Jones
    Now you have 3 WRs adept at working in space.
    Idzik adds a RB in the 3rd or 4th that excels in catching the ball & you have created a balance of speed, size & power to your offense.
    If you add in the factor that Geno has already proven that he is very adept at running the ball, the Jets & Marty could create some real matchup problems.
    You could have a double TE offense with ASJ & Sudfeld
    You could go 4 wide with Maclin, Kerley, Jones, Hill, Powell/fast rookie
    You could go all big with Evans, ASJ, Sudfeld, Nelson, Ivory
    Just imagine that these scenarios are realistic & happen with only 2 free agent signings & one trade up in the draft.
    A late round Speedster at WR to develop?
    We haven't even begun to discuss defensive additions or Oline additions with our other 8 draft picks we would still have left.
    It's going to be so interesting what direction Idzik takes in free agency & this draft. I love the idea of being able to morph into 2 different offenses depending on our competition.
    I also believe that the new rules make a combination of Evans & ASJ almost unfair in the redzone.
    Genos short accuracy throwing to those two giants that can both high point balls would be like Brees throwing to 2 Jimmy Grahams!
    Last edited by jetster; 02-17-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    look, I think everything except for your first round pick is at least possible, and if the cards fell that way, I'd be pretty stoked. That said, barring something TRAGIC at the combine, mike evans will not be there at 18. If you want to say we take Lee (who I doubt will be there) or a guy like benjamin or odell from LSU, then I'm on board for this. If you want to stay with a bigger guy, maybe jordan matthews is a trade down option (making the move back up into the second easier).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    look, I think everything except for your first round pick is at least possible, and if the cards fell that way, I'd be pretty stoked. That said, barring something TRAGIC at the combine, mike evans will not be there at 18. If you want to say we take Lee (who I doubt will be there) or a guy like benjamin or odell from LSU, then I'm on board for this. If you want to stay with a bigger guy, maybe jordan matthews is a trade down option (making the move back up into the second easier).
    I hear ya. Evans numbers vs Bama & Auburn alone make it a pipe dream that he falls down to the Jets at 18 but stranger things have happened in the draft.
    Obviously my theory was "IF" we grab Evans than doubling up on size ASJ/Amaro could be pretty intriguing with only two FA WRs like Maclin/Jones.
    Idzik would still have money to shore up safety & possibly the Guard position.
    It's wild how many scenarios are legitimate & not far fetched at all with this free agent class (35 million available) & possibly 12 draft picks.
    I would love to be a fly on the wall in those meeting with Idzik & the scouts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With 12 picks, you've got to expect that quite a few won't make the roster. or will at best be PS material. However much we lack in talent, we don't have 12 open spots on the current roster. So I'm hoping we pick up a few guys later on with good potential ... even if only one makes it, that's still better than drafting a lot of "safe" guys who project to being nothing special.

So a few late round picks of guys who have the size or speed, but lack the technique, could pay off well in the next year or so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    With 12 picks, you've got to expect that quite a few won't make the roster. or will at best be PS material. However much we lack in talent, we don't have 12 open spots on the current roster. So I'm hoping we pick up a few guys later on with good potential ... even if only one makes it, that's still better than drafting a lot of "safe" guys who project to being nothing special.

So a few late round picks of guys who have the size or speed, but lack the technique, could pay off well in the next year or so.
    Definitely! Those late rounders are where you find the speed guys that might not have put it all together yet. Also special teams aces, return guys with crazy speed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone seems to think all the top tier offensive players will be gone by the time the Jets are on the clock. I personally think the opposite. With the depth in the draft on the offensive side of the ball I think D players will be at a premium (barring QB). The SB proved that D is essential to winning the big one. All 32 teams know the can get quality O players later in the draft. Other than Cleveland, Baltimore, and Oakland, all the teams before us have atleast 1 top three need on Defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-all-32-teams

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Watkins. Pipe Dream : So then I want Landry . possible : If not I want Mathews . Quite Possible : After that I am interested in receivers who have proven they can catch a football , are not problems to their teams and show some desire to block downfield on running plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I want Watkins. Pipe Dream : So then I want Landry . possible : If not I want Mathews . Quite Possible : After that I am interested in receivers who have proven they can catch a football , are not problems to their teams and show some desire to block downfield on running plays.
    Your not an Evans fan? He literally tore up Bama & Auburn. That's playing with the big boys, crazy numbers like 556 yards & 5 TDs.
    Tells me he gets up for challenges.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Your not an Evans fan? He literally tore up Bama & Auburn. That's playing with the big boys, crazy numbers like 556 yards & 5 TDs.
    Tells me he gets up for challenges.
    No, I am not a fan of a guy who catches passes that are thrown up to him because of his size regardless of the coverage.Usually after the QB is flushed and the play breaks down. Evans will not be going up against Kyle Wilson if he's on the Jets unless we trade or cut him. Most of the good CBs in the NFL know how to play the ball when it's in the air. Most of em.

This kid is in for a rude awakening when he hits the NFL.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 02-17-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I am not a fan of a guy who catches passes that are thrown up to him because of his size regardless of the coverage.Usually after the QB is flushed and the play breaks down. Evans will not be going up against Kyle Wilson if he's on the Jets unless we trade or cut him. Most of the good CBs in the NFL know how to play the ball when it's in the air. Most of em.

so you don't like Calvin Johnson?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    so you don't like Calvin Johnson?
    WOW. really.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think that is all he can do, just win the jumpballs?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st round- Evans falls to 18, 6'-5" 234 LBs
    2nd round- Jets trade up for ASJ & create absolute nightmare matchup problems with 2 guys that Geno can throw it up to & let them go get it!
    Put it any way you want to, but if we end up with Evans and ASJ I'd be doing flips. My guess at this point is that Evans goes top 15 and ASJ top 25 so both will be first rounders. I think Ebron will fall and ASJ will rise. It's pretty obvious that ASJ can block like a machine and is very athletic for his size. A classic dual mismatch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I missed the sarcasm in this post, I took it literally. my bad. but isn't winning the jump ball what makes him who he is? must be too much kettle one

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to politely disagree, you don't put up 556 yards by just catching jump balls, but, most teams need a red zone threat that can just go up & get it so Evans would be better than Burress was with us, I'll take it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to politely disagree, you don't put up 556 yards by just catching jump balls, but, most teams need a red zone threat that can just go up & get it so Evans would be better than Burress was with us, I'll take it.
    Understandable.

Tell me something. Of all the CBs Evans went up against vs Alabama and Auburn, which 1 do you believe have the talent to be a 2nd round pick ?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

when you match up guys Like Mike Evans you have to take in consideration of our schemes if you look at the tape of Evans he runs 3 Routes Everytime a deep comeback , slant Route and or a curl Route. He arm bars to get seperation a lot of his catches he can get seperation because the incredible agility of Manziel and the extra time he provides .

Definitely Evans will have a tough time with the different routes that Morinhweg runs because of quickness and agility that he doesn't have like a lee or Watkins or Cooks etc. he just doesn't grade out high in our system and you have to take account for that.

Look at the eagles wideouts desean Jackson, macklin, cooper. Etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    when you match up guys Like Mike Evans you have to take in consideration of our schemes if you look at the tape of Evans he runs 3 Routes Everytime a deep comeback , slant Route and or a curl Route. He arm bars to get seperation a lot of his catches he can get seperation because the incredible agility of Manziel and the extra time he provides .

Definitely Evans will have a tough time with the different routes that Morinhweg runs because of quickness and agility that he doesn't have like a lee or Watkins or Cooks etc. he just doesn't grade out high in our system and you have to take account for that.

Look at the eagles wideouts desean Jackson, macklin, cooper. Etc.
    MM likes to control the ball, move the chains, & take shots in the seams when teams adjust to the short routes. I see Evans causing many, many, PI calls in the NFL, you can't teach size plus he's excellent at hand catching & high pointing balls.
    That makes the area for Geno to throw the ball pretty darn large.
    Plus he's a redzone nightmare for teams.
    And your point about "NFL" corners, they are still way shorter than Evans.