Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: I think we are all selling Sudfeld short...

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    I think we are all selling Sudfeld short...

    What does any TE in this draft have outside of Ebron that Sudfeld doesn't have? Size? Sudfeld is 6.7 and is up to 260 with 33 inch arms... Speed? He ran a 4.71 40 with a 7.03 three ckne drill better than any TE at the combine... Blocking ability? He graded number one among all TE's in the nation in 2012, accounted for 24 TD resulting blocks 19 of them were at the LOS where he obliterated DE's usually finishing them all the way to the ground, textbook blocking when you watch tge highlights.

    Had Pat fans ranting and raving before we stole him, his preaseason action was very nice too and then he came in and played well in place of Winslow showing surprising ability to run after the catch. The only reason he wasn't drafted was his injury concerns-6 in 4 years and the fact he was an old 26 year old rookie. Other than that there's really not much wrong with the guy.

    I expect he will become a factor here once he gets a full camp under his belt, also looks and sounds very smart, articulate and good character. His coach at Nevada loves the kid you can tell.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not Sudfeld we are Trying to replace but Boston Market and Cumberland Farms . Sudfeld is a nice Dual Tightend but we need to bring in a Blocker and a Pass Catcher at the Position for Competition

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with Cumberland, he's still a nice young ascending player, fast and athletic. I want to see what he'll bring with an improved Geno.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ever happened to that Rugby player we signed a few seasons back?
    He's not ready yet?

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    What does any TE in this draft have outside of Ebron that Sudfeld doesn't have? Size? Sudfeld is 6.7 and is up to 260 with 33 inch arms... Speed? He ran a 4.71 40 with a 7.03 three ckne drill better than any TE at the combine... Blocking ability? He graded number one among all TE's in the nation in 2012, accounted for 24 TD resulting blocks 19 of them were at the LOS where he obliterated DE's usually finishing them all the way to the ground, textbook blocking when you watch tge highlights.

    Had Pat fans ranting and raving before we stole him, his preaseason action was very nice too and then he came in and played well in place of Winslow showing surprising ability to run after the catch. The only reason he wasn't drafted was his injury concerns-6 in 4 years and the fact he was an old 26 year old rookie. Other than that there's really not much wrong with the guy.

    I expect he will become a factor here once he gets a full camp under his belt, also looks and sounds very smart, articulate and good character. His coach at Nevada loves the kid you can tell.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w
    I was one of his biggest supporters, and I thought the pats hit a home run with him, but the guy just can't get open and when he does he dropped the ball. I don't know why you say the jets stole him, he was cut when the pats had no TEs.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I was one of his biggest supporters, and I thought the pats hit a home run with him, but the guy just can't get open and when he does he dropped the ball. I don't know why you say the jets stole him, he was cut when the pats had no TEs.
    Belichick let his emotions get away from him. He was completely frustrated with the mistakes the young players were making.
    Thompkins & Dobson were effing up like crazy then Sudfeld dropped a pass & motion penalty I believe & BB put him on waivers.
    The only reason Sudfeld couldnt separate is because the Jets had absolutely ZERO weapons last year!
    Hell, Talib shut out Graham last year, it happens.
    When the Jets trot out a group of Lee, Maclin & Kerley next year for example, I have a feeling Sudfeld won't have issues.
    I can't wait to see Sudfeld in preseason next year after a year in the Jets strength program & another year in MMs offense.
    The guy has all the measurables to be a good TE.
    If the Jets do take Ebron, that's going to be a really nice combo.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the jury is still out on Sudfield, but I'd love to see the Jets draft Ebron and use two TE alignments with Ebron being used as a hybrid H-back/TE. When you do not have an elite franchise QB who can ID and/or create mismatches by calling plays at the line, you need an OC who has the necessary parts to create unique schemes for the opposing D to deal with.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Sudfield, but I'd love to see the Jets draft Ebron and use two TE alignments with Ebron being used as a hybrid H-back/TE. When you do not have an elite franchise QB who can ID and/or create mismatches by calling plays at the line, you need an OC who has the necessary parts to create unique schemes for the opposing D to deal with.
    Agree, that would be a little like Gronk/Hernandez with Sudfeld obviously playing the substandard Gronk role, lol.
    But Ebron looks like he could definitely play the Hernandez role without the murdering & stuff.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like what Sudfeld can do. He's a big, athletic player. When he had a full time roll that one game, Saints i think? he played very well. I'd like to let Cumby (although he's a solid player) walk as well as Winslow and bring back Sudfeld and a rookie TE (Ebron/Amaro/Jenkins).

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    No reason to think that sudfeld cant be a good #3 TE and possibly a solid backup. He certainly has the size to play the position it just comes down to his physicality as a blocker and if he can continue to improve his hands/route running.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sudfeld has potential, but he's no reason to pass on a TE if one is available in the right spot. And Cumberland is a JAG.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Sudfield, but I'd love to see the Jets draft Ebron and use two TE alignments with Ebron being used as a hybrid H-back/TE. When you do not have an elite franchise QB who can ID and/or create mismatches by calling plays at the line, you need an OC who has the necessary parts to create unique schemes for the opposing D to deal with.
    The problem with this is an H-Back must be able to block and this cat can't block his way out of a paper bag. As a matter of fact, I think Dustin Keller is a better blocker than this cat. If an H-back can't block, when he's in the game everyone will know it's a passing play.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Nothing wrong with Cumberland, he's still a nice young ascending player, fast and athletic. I want to see what he'll bring with an improved Geno.
    I want to see what Geno can bring with an improved TE

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Nothing wrong with Cumberland, he's still a nice young ascending player, fast and athletic. I want to see what he'll bring with an improved Geno.
    I don't know how you can call Cumberland ascending. Isn't he going into his fourth year? He's had his moments but is extremely inconsistent (especially as a blocker), a bad special teamer, and doesn't show up in big games. In a year he could very well be out of football. I'd say he's already peaked.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I don't know how you can call Cumberland ascending. Isn't he going into his fourth year? He's had his moments but is extremely inconsistent (especially as a blocker), a bad special teamer, and doesn't show up in big games. In a year he could very well be out of football. I'd say he's already peaked.
    One more year.

    2011 - Injured
    2012 - Terrible QB play
    2013 - Showed flashes with rookie QB

    Give him a second year in the system with a better Geno Smith. His hands are questionable, but he has nice size and very good speed.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Around here if you're not Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez or Adrian Peterson you suck. Cumberland was not helped by Winslow otherwise he would've put up better numbers. People are too quick to forget his game at Atlanta but always remember when he drops a pass.

    I still say Cumberland is a young player with some upside and a chance to grow alongside Geno.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    you guys kidding? sudfeld stinks. you're good with passing on ebron cause we have sudfeld? is this freakin serious?

  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    What ever happened to that Rugby player we signed a few seasons back?
    He's not ready yet?
    Jets cut him in pre-season. He's back in the UK playing rugby, I think.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cumberland is going into the 5th year of his career and has never caught 5 passes in a game.


    JAG


    He had some potential. So did every other guy in the NFL at one point in time. Most of them don't amount to anything.

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brent Celek. Hurry up Mr Idzik.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us