Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think we are all selling Sudfeld short...

I think we are all selling Sudfeld short...

What does any TE in this draft have outside of Ebron that Sudfeld doesn't have? Size? Sudfeld is 6.7 and is up to 260 with 33 inch arms... Speed? He ran a 4.71 40 with a 7.03 three ckne drill better than any TE at the combine... Blocking ability? He graded number one among all TE's in the nation in 2012, accounted for 24 TD resulting blocks 19 of them were at the LOS where he obliterated DE's usually finishing them all the way to the ground, textbook blocking when you watch tge highlights.

Had Pat fans ranting and raving before we stole him, his preaseason action was very nice too and then he came in and played well in place of Winslow showing surprising ability to run after the catch. The only reason he wasn't drafted was his injury concerns-6 in 4 years and the fact he was an old 26 year old rookie. Other than that there's really not much wrong with the guy.

I expect he will become a factor here once he gets a full camp under his belt, also looks and sounds very smart, articulate and good character. His coach at Nevada loves the kid you can tell.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w

It's not Sudfeld we are Trying to replace but Boston Market and Cumberland Farms . Sudfeld is a nice Dual Tightend but we need to bring in a Blocker and a Pass Catcher at the Position for Competition

Nothing wrong with Cumberland, he's still a nice young ascending player, fast and athletic. I want to see what he'll bring with an improved Geno.

What ever happened to that Rugby player we signed a few seasons back?
    He's not ready yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    What does any TE in this draft have outside of Ebron that Sudfeld doesn't have? Size? Sudfeld is 6.7 and is up to 260 with 33 inch arms... Speed? He ran a 4.71 40 with a 7.03 three ckne drill better than any TE at the combine... Blocking ability? He graded number one among all TE's in the nation in 2012, accounted for 24 TD resulting blocks 19 of them were at the LOS where he obliterated DE's usually finishing them all the way to the ground, textbook blocking when you watch tge highlights.

Had Pat fans ranting and raving before we stole him, his preaseason action was very nice too and then he came in and played well in place of Winslow showing surprising ability to run after the catch. The only reason he wasn't drafted was his injury concerns-6 in 4 years and the fact he was an old 26 year old rookie. Other than that there's really not much wrong with the guy.

I expect he will become a factor here once he gets a full camp under his belt, also looks and sounds very smart, articulate and good character. His coach at Nevada loves the kid you can tell.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w
    I was one of his biggest supporters, and I thought the pats hit a home run with him, but the guy just can't get open and when he does he dropped the ball. I don't know why you say the jets stole him, he was cut when the pats had no TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I was one of his biggest supporters, and I thought the pats hit a home run with him, but the guy just can't get open and when he does he dropped the ball. I don't know why you say the jets stole him, he was cut when the pats had no TEs.
    Belichick let his emotions get away from him. He was completely frustrated with the mistakes the young players were making.
    Thompkins & Dobson were effing up like crazy then Sudfeld dropped a pass & motion penalty I believe & BB put him on waivers.
    The only reason Sudfeld couldnt separate is because the Jets had absolutely ZERO weapons last year!
    Hell, Talib shut out Graham last year, it happens.
    When the Jets trot out a group of Lee, Maclin & Kerley next year for example, I have a feeling Sudfeld won't have issues.
    I can't wait to see Sudfeld in preseason next year after a year in the Jets strength program & another year in MMs offense.
    The guy has all the measurables to be a good TE.
    If the Jets do take Ebron, that's going to be a really nice combo.

I think the jury is still out on Sudfield, but I'd love to see the Jets draft Ebron and use two TE alignments with Ebron being used as a hybrid H-back/TE. When you do not have an elite franchise QB who can ID and/or create mismatches by calling plays at the line, you need an OC who has the necessary parts to create unique schemes for the opposing D to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Sudfield, but I'd love to see the Jets draft Ebron and use two TE alignments with Ebron being used as a hybrid H-back/TE. When you do not have an elite franchise QB who can ID and/or create mismatches by calling plays at the line, you need an OC who has the necessary parts to create unique schemes for the opposing D to deal with.
    Agree, that would be a little like Gronk/Hernandez with Sudfeld obviously playing the substandard Gronk role, lol.
    But Ebron looks like he could definitely play the Hernandez role without the murdering & stuff.

Veteran
    I like what Sudfeld can do. He's a big, athletic player. When he had a full time roll that one game, Saints i think? he played very well. I'd like to let Cumby (although he's a solid player) walk as well as Winslow and bring back Sudfeld and a rookie TE (Ebron/Amaro/Jenkins).

No reason to think that sudfeld cant be a good #3 TE and possibly a solid backup. He certainly has the size to play the position it just comes down to his physicality as a blocker and if he can continue to improve his hands/route running.

Sudfeld has potential, but he's no reason to pass on a TE if one is available in the right spot. And Cumberland is a JAG.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The problem with this is an H-Back must be able to block and this cat can't block his way out of a paper bag. As a matter of fact, I think Dustin Keller is a better blocker than this cat. If an H-back can't block, when he's in the game everyone will know it's a passing play.

Nothing wrong with Cumberland, he's still a nice young ascending player, fast and athletic. I want to see what he'll bring with an improved Geno.
    I want to see what Geno can bring with an improved TE

I don't know how you can call Cumberland ascending. Isn't he going into his fourth year? He's had his moments but is extremely inconsistent (especially as a blocker), a bad special teamer, and doesn't show up in big games. In a year he could very well be out of football. I'd say he's already peaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I don't know how you can call Cumberland ascending. Isn't he going into his fourth year? He's had his moments but is extremely inconsistent (especially as a blocker), a bad special teamer, and doesn't show up in big games. In a year he could very well be out of football. I'd say he's already peaked.
    One more year.

2011 - Injured
    2012 - Terrible QB play
    2013 - Showed flashes with rookie QB

Give him a second year in the system with a better Geno Smith. His hands are questionable, but he has nice size and very good speed.

Around here if you're not Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez or Adrian Peterson you suck. Cumberland was not helped by Winslow otherwise he would've put up better numbers. People are too quick to forget his game at Atlanta but always remember when he drops a pass.

I still say Cumberland is a young player with some upside and a chance to grow alongside Geno.

you guys kidding? sudfeld stinks. you're good with passing on ebron cause we have sudfeld? is this freakin serious?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    What ever happened to that Rugby player we signed a few seasons back?
    He's not ready yet?
    Jets cut him in pre-season. He's back in the UK playing rugby, I think.

Cumberland is going into the 5th year of his career and has never caught 5 passes in a game.

JAG

He had some potential. So did every other guy in the NFL at one point in time. Most of them don't amount to anything.

Brent Celek. Hurry up Mr Idzik.