Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 234

Thread: Coldest air of season since January for next week

  1. #1

    Coldest air of season since January for next week

    The polar vortex is coming back next week and especially by mid week we will feel it's affects. Temps in the teens again and a snow shot on Wendesday and then Saturday. The first being ahead of the arctic front as it marches in and then as it exits. Right now the nature of the air is gona be very cold and likely to last for a long time per the Gfs and Ecmwf models. I am searching for Spring but as far out as the model runs go out, still no signs.

  2. #2
    http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_12z/test8.gif
    The polar vortex is basically a very cold upper air cyclone that originates at the poles. It can be a south or north pole and is basically jump started by the Earth's rotation and since its very cold in these regions the low pressure absorbs the cold air and you have a polar vortex. You can clearly see on both the Gfs/Ecmwf models here as I posted it is surging south and will bring the huge arctic air for 1 - 2 weeks starting next midweek.

  3. #3
    You know what we used to call this?

    Winter.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You know what we used to call this?

    Winter.
    Temps will be 30 degrees below average. Also this is highly unusual for us in this area to be in the path of this massive arctic air twice. We might get hit once in 4 or 5 years by this cold air, but twice in a year is unseen. This is historic.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Temps will be 30 degrees below average. Also this is highly unusual for us in this area to be in the path of this massive arctic air twice. We might get hit once in 4 or 5 years by this cold air, but twice in a year is unseen. This is historic.
    Cataclysmic.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Cataclysmic.
    I posted the link of the Gfs/Ecmwf models if you wana check it out for yourself http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_12z/test8.gif. This is the models I use for the long range and seeing both in agreement and maybe slightly oriented differently. But you see the idea of the vortex sending the arctic air here for next week.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    I posted the link of the Gfs/Ecmwf models if you wana check it out for yourself [url]http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_12z/test8.gif[/url]. This is the models I use for the long range and seeing both in agreement and maybe slightly oriented differently. But you see the idea of the vortex sending the arctic air here for next week.
    This woulda looked great on the acid I used to do in college. Now meh

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Cataclysmic.
    E.L.E.

  9. #9
    Cookie Monsta, Is it gonna stay in the 60s in GA?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Temps will be 30 degrees below average. Also this is highly unusual for us in this area to be in the path of this massive arctic air twice. We might get hit once in 4 or 5 years by this cold air, but twice in a year is unseen. This is historic.
    what happened to global warming? i enjoyed that very much the past few winters.

    a more serious question - will this just be affecting the northeast or will it be another countrywide cold snap.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    what happened to global warming? i enjoyed that very much the past few winters.

    a more serious question - will this just be affecting the northeast or will it be another countrywide cold snap.
    I'm not sure I totally understand the map, but it looks like it's mostly affecting the east and Plains states, and it will be quite warm in central europe, northwest canada and the north pole.

    I'm curious, I'm basing this all of this on where it's blue and red... but perhaps Cookie would like to enlighten us as to what the negative/positive numbers actually mean. I'm thinking it's not temperature.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    what happened to global warming? i enjoyed that very much the past few winters.

    a more serious question - will this just be affecting the northeast or will it be another countrywide cold snap.
    Global Warming, since you are trying to make a joke that it doesn't exist... You should learn about what it actually is (supposedly)

    It causes extremes. As in hotter summer and COLDER winter.

    I love when it's freezing and some idiot says "Global Warming!" it just proves that they don't know sh*t.

    I don't believe global warming is a thing. Pollution exists... That is not good for the stability of the planet. Colder winters, hotter summers.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Cataclysmic.
    You're the best

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Global Warming, since you are trying to make a joke that it doesn't exist... You should learn about what it actually is (supposedly)

    It causes extremes. As in hotter summer and COLDER winter.

    I love when it's freezing and some idiot says "Global Warming!" it just proves that they don't know sh*t.

    I don't believe global warming is a thing. Pollution exists... That is not good for the stability of the planet. Colder winters, hotter summers.
    That's actually not true. It does cause extreme weather patterns, but it's not reserved for temperature or limited by season (Hot in Summer, cold in winter)... Also, it's worth noting that there are parts of the country that have had record heat this season, California has had a massive drought, and Alaska had among it's warmest winter in history.

    However, I don't think Batman was being serious.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,929
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You know what we used to call this?

    Winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Cataclysmic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    E.L.E.


    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    You're the best
    Link?

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,114
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Temps will be 30 degrees below average. Also this is highly unusual for us in this area to be in the path of this massive arctic air twice. We might get hit once in 4 or 5 years by this cold air, but twice in a year is unseen. This is historic.
    Well cut it out already. Thank you.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I'm not sure I totally understand the map, but it looks like it's mostly affecting the east and Plains states, and it will be quite warm in central europe, northwest canada and the north pole.

    I'm curious, I'm basing this all of this on where it's blue and red... but perhaps Cookie would like to enlighten us as to what the negative/positive numbers actually mean. I'm thinking it's not temperature.
    yah, i don't totally understand the map.

    i was just worried about the united states. for purposes of natural gas prices.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Global Warming, since you are trying to make a joke that it doesn't exist... You should learn about what it actually is (supposedly)

    It causes extremes. As in hotter summer and COLDER winter.

    I love when it's freezing and some idiot says "Global Warming!" it just proves that they don't know sh*t.

    I don't believe global warming is a thing. Pollution exists... That is not good for the stability of the planet. Colder winters, hotter summers.
    So explain the last 10 mild winters, and summers. Also explain the lack of hurricanes. You can't. It's way to complex for you or anyone else, and no model ever predicted anything that actually came true. You don't question it because that would be blasphemous. You enjoy your faith, and I won't commit anymore heresy. I promise.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Global Warming, since you are trying to make a joke that it doesn't exist... You should learn about what it actually is (supposedly)

    It causes extremes. As in hotter summer and COLDER winter.

    I love when it's freezing and some idiot says "Global Warming!" it just proves that they don't know sh*t.

    I don't believe global warming is a thing. Pollution exists... That is not good for the stability of the planet. Colder winters, hotter summers.
    it was a joke about global warming, don't mean to offend you. i don't know much about it nor claim to.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    However, I don't think Batman was being serious.
    correct!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us