Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Season Ticket Holder!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There were only 3 seasons in my Jets life in which we were considered Super Bowl candidates: 1999, 2010, and 2011.

2 of those 3 special seasons occurred in the first two years of the new stadium. No one knows about unmet expectations more than I do, but the fact is that those of us who bought our PSL's in 2008 got a really nice run in return:

2008: Brett Favre show, 8-3 before the wheels fell off.
    2009: Surprising success, 2 playoff wins.
    2010: Super Bowl mentions, dominant 11 win season, 2 playoff wins.
    2011: Super Bowl favorites, 8-5 before the wheels fell off.

2012 was an ugly season, 2013 was suprisingly uplifting. That's 5 of the last 6 seasons that were highly engaging and enjoyable, very few dog games. Since PSL owners opened their wallets we've had a nice run. Those who waited to join the party today are saving a few dollars but weren't attending 8 home games back when we were legitimate contenders.

SAR I
    I guess you don't remember the 1980s then. Or, for a moment, the Coslet era.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Not to mention the 70s, Charlie Winner and Lou Holtz and the
    Jets fight song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't met anyone yet who attends all 8 home games and buys the tickets on a game-by-game basis off the internet.

Those who attend games without season tickets or PSL's never sit next to the same people, they don't make new friends in their sections, they don't bond with the ushers, they don't get the regular-treatment from the concession staff. They have to deal with the stress of buying seats, downloading PDF's, finding parking passes, worrying that they weren't scammed, concerned that the barcode is valid.

Attending live NFL games is a frivolous luxury expense for the wealthy. I'm not sure when it became some sort of contest to game the system or save the most money. Anyone concerned with money should not be attending live games to begin with.

SAR I
    Most wealthy people became wealthy by not spending their money frivolously.
    Read the Millionaire Next Door, people become wealthy by making sure they pay themselves first.
    And they are careful with their expenses.
    Take a guess wat kind of car Warren Buffet drives. Hint it's not a lease and it's not an import.

Veteran
    Does anyone here without STH go to all or at least most games via Stubhub, etc? If so, how are you finding it? Are you getting good deals on seats you like? And does the process seem burdensome? I know Stubhub is pretty freaking easy....just wondering if it feels like a pain in the arse to have to think about where you'll be sitting, playing chicken as game day approaches on when to pounce on seats, etc.

Anyone here do this?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Does anyone here without STH go to all or at least most games via Stubhub, etc? If so, how are you finding it? Are you getting good deals on seats you like? And does the process seem burdensome? I know Stubhub is pretty freaking easy....just wondering if it feels like a pain in the arse to have to think about where you'll be sitting, playing chicken as game day approaches on when to pounce on seats, etc.

Anyone here do this?
    I do and I have 5 season tickets in 135. There were 3 games where we thought we wouldn't go and sold the tickets early in the season. As the week approached, 2 or 3 of us decided to go and we played chicken on Stub Hub waiting until the night before or the morning of the game and wound up in the Mezz club seats on the 20 and 30 for way less than we sold the 135's. It was fun actually. For Pittsburgh, 3 of us sat in the Mezz clubs on the 30 for free with the profit we made from the 135's. It's not something I would want to do all the time, but Stub Hub comes in handy. And of course, we lost about $40 per seat for Cleveland.

Mediocre team produces mediocre resale results. Sometimes good (great actually) and sometimes bad. If this team ever becomes a perennial playoff team, demand will be great. Demand was better than I thought for the sucky-mediocre predictions coming out in earl September. I'll say this... resales were a lot harder when I had Mezz A corners. Unless you're in row 1, they are a major bust for resales and the view pretty much sucks when the team is on the other side of the field. Glad I got out.
    Last edited by Dcat; 02-26-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post
    Most wealthy people became wealthy by not spending their money frivolously.
    Read the Millionaire Next Door, people become wealthy by making sure they pay themselves first.
    And they are careful with their expenses.
    Take a guess wat kind of car Warren Buffet drives. Hint it's not a lease and it's not an import.

I am the millionaire next door. Don't need a book, thanks.

SAR I

Anyone here do this?
    Biggest pain is the parking passes if you don't buy them from the Jets. You will always pay over face for them.
    As far as the seats last year I went to 3 games and I prefer 342 to get in and out and the sightline is not bad. The seats were in row 8 right next to the exit.
    I paid $12 for a preseason game, $64 for OD against TB and $46 against the Dolphins - 3 seats to each game - face on all 3 were $105. Total savings was $579.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I do and I have 5 season tickets in 135. There were 3 games where we thought we wouldn't go and sold the tickets early in the season. As the week approached, 2 or 3 of us decided to go and we played chicken on Stub Hub waiting until the night before or the morning of the game and wound up in the Mezz club seats on the 20 and 30 for way less than we sold the 135's. It was fun actually. For Pittsburgh, 3 of us sat in the Mezz clubs on the 30 for free with the profit we made from the 135's. It's not something I would want to do all the time, but Stub Hub comes in handy. And of course, we lost about $40 per seat for Cleveland.

Mediocre team produces mediocre resale results. Sometimes good (great actually) and sometimes bad. If this team ever becomes a perennial playoff team, demand will be great. Demand was better than I thought for the sucky-mediocre predictions coming out in earl September. I'll say this... resales were a lot harder when I had Mezz A corners. Unless you're in row 1, they are a major bust for resales and the view pretty much sucks when the team is on the other side of the field. Glad I got out.
    Nice, and I've thought about doing something like this a few times. Like pick a game or two in advance for which I want a crowd bigger than the 2 seats total I have in 135. Sell my two early hopefully at a profit like we've seen for many games in the past, then buy 3-4 seats last second hopefully at a discount and hopefully in a good section. Also talked about trying the early sell of my 135s with a late purchase of clubs for a game or two my wife may want to attend as she likes the to have the option to get out of the elements.

It's interesting since it can even be fun to closely monitor resale and look for deals. Though lately I have to balance that with large work and home commitments so last year for instance I was very thankful to just use my 135s as I was in a new and somewhat overwhelming role at work and that plus the kid took up basically all of my time

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Biggest pain is the parking passes if you don't buy them from the Jets. You will always pay over face for them.
    As far as the seats last year I went to 3 games and I prefer 342 to get in and out and the sightline is not bad. The seats were in row 8 right next to the exit.
    I paid $12 for a preseason game, $64 for OD against TB and $46 against the Dolphins - 3 seats to each game - face on all 3 were $105. Total savings was $579.
    Awesome. One other part of this for me - and this is circular logic - but I bet I wouldn't go to all of the games if I didn't have any season tix. There are weeks I'm just not that motivated to go but I wind up going since I already have tix and it's the default option. But in the end I'm happy about that. And I bet if I didn't already have tix I'd miss some of those games and maybe wind up regretting it

But yeah those are some great savings

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

There were only 3 seasons in my Jets life in which we were considered Super Bowl candidates: 1999, 2010, and 2011.

2 of those 3 special seasons occurred in the first two years of the new stadium. No one knows about unmet expectations more than I do, but the fact is that those of us who bought our PSL's in 2008 got a really nice run in return:

2008: Brett Favre show, 8-3 before the wheels fell off.
    2009: Surprising success, 2 playoff wins.
    2010: Super Bowl mentions, dominant 11 win season, 2 playoff wins.
    2011: Super Bowl favorites, 8-5 before the wheels fell off.

2012 was an ugly season, 2013 was suprisingly uplifting. That's 5 of the last 6 seasons that were highly engaging and enjoyable, very few dog games. Since PSL owners opened their wallets we've had a nice run. Those who waited to join the party today are saving a few dollars but weren't attending 8 home games back when we were legitimate contenders.

SAR I
    1982? Mud Bowl?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    1982? Mud Bowl?
    We were 6-3 that season, strike-shortened. The Dolphins went to the Super Bowl, we lost our head coach, didn't draft Marino, the defending AFC Champions did, I didn't think we were Super Bowl caliber that following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The 80's saw the Dolphins and Patriots stand in our way, we had a few blips but never had the quarterback or the head coach to compete. Coslet made the playoffs only once and at 8-8 at that, never came into a season in the whole decade feeling really confident that we had what it took. I did have that feeling going into 2010 and 2011. Rex turned it around very quickly, we had the running game, we had a defense, the QB seemed to be coming into his own, several wildcards broke through to win Lombardi's, we'd just taken care of the Patriots in January.

SAR I

Banned
    The Stubhub process is very easy and there are always good deals on seats about 2 hours before kickoff if you're close enough to the stadium to make that work. That's not the issue.

The issue is the other stuff. Parking passes command a premium and waiting until the last minute puts you in a bad place. Either you over-pay for the passes or you get to the stadium late and park in no-man's land. Next, sometimes you have a shady seller or some confusion in the upload process and you can get to the gate to find out that you have an invalid barcode. Let's say you get a seat at a good price, you get a reasonable parking spot, and the barcode works; next up is your seat which can often have an obstruction or be in a place that is hard to get out of. Worst of all are the people you sit next to. Many times they are fans of enemy teams who will annoy you throughout the game, sometimes they are Jets fans who don't like the fact that some stranger is sitting in their section.

With season tickets or PSL's you avoid all of this. You get a consistent seat, you get your affordable parking, you bond with the people you sit next to, there is no gameday drama of MetLife Roulette to deal with.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Stubhub process is very easy and there are always good deals on seats about 2 hours before kickoff if you're close enough to the stadium to make that work. That's not the issue.

The issue is the other stuff. Parking passes command a premium and waiting until the last minute puts you in a bad place. Either you over-pay for the passes or you get to the stadium late and park in no-man's land. Next, sometimes you have a shady seller or some confusion in the upload process and you can get to the gate to find out that you have an invalid barcode. Let's say you get a seat at a good price, you get a reasonable parking spot, and the barcode works; next up is your seat which can often have an obstruction or be in a place that is hard to get out of. Worst of all are the people you sit next to. Many times they are fans of enemy teams who will annoy you throughout the game, sometimes they are Jets fans who don't like the fact that some stranger is sitting in their section.

With season tickets or PSL's you avoid all of this. You get a consistent seat, you get your affordable parking, you bond with the people you sit next to, there is no gameday drama of MetLife Roulette to deal with.

SAR I
    I would agree. If you are going to go to all or most games why wouldn't you get STs? Sell off a premium game for a profit and cover some of your losses for the preseason. Doing a season piecemeal makes no sense.

I am the millionaire next door. Don't need a book, thanks.

SAR I
    Me too, several times over. Have had a very lucrative career in Finance directly reporting to one of the legends of Wall Street.
    And I'm proud to sit it the 300s. It's against my religion to pay a inherited
    Billionaire my hard earned money to
    increase his wealth.
    When you look back at the number of seasons I've had season tickets versus the number of seasons the on field product is competitive the justification for a seat license expense doesn't exist.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We were 6-3 that season, strike-shortened. The Dolphins went to the Super Bowl, we lost our head coach, didn't draft Marino, the defending AFC Champions did, I didn't think we were Super Bowl caliber that following year.

The 80's saw the Dolphins and Patriots stand in our way, we had a few blips but never had the quarterback or the head coach to compete. Coslet made the playoffs only once and at 8-8 at that, never came into a season in the whole decade feeling really confident that we had what it took. I did have that feeling going into 2010 and 2011. Rex turned it around very quickly, we had the running game, we had a defense, the QB seemed to be coming into his own, several wildcards broke through to win Lombardi's, we'd just taken care of the Patriots in January.

SAR I
    Stop it. BB and Brady were the odds on favorites every year to win the AFCE. No one has dominated the division like they have and continue to do.

The bottom line is that there have been several years the Jets have had legit SB aspirations since the early 1980s, and they have never delivered.

Practice Squad

Anyone here do this?
    i don't go to all games, but i go to a decent amount and stubhub couldn't be easier. the best aspect to the stubhub route is being able to get how ever many tickets i need for the size of the group i have. i couldn't care less about making new friends in the stands or building a relationship with the ushers or the concession stand workers, as if they give a sht about seeing you once or fifty times... seriously who would care about that?

[QUOTE=Shea319now314;5155831]Me too, several times over. Have had a very lucrative career in Finance directly reporting to one of the legends of Wall Street.
    And I'm proud to sit it the 300s. It's against my religion to pay a inherited
    Billionaire my hard earned money to
    increase his wealth.
    When you look back at the number of seasons I've had season tickets versus the number of seasons the on field product is competitive the justification for a seat license expense doesn't exist.

Wow I never knew you worked for me.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Doing a season piecemeal makes no sense.
    it makes total sense. you can buy tickets below face on stubhub and you don't deal with losing money on pre-season games.

Quote Originally Posted by E4orBust View Post
    it makes total sense. you can buy tickets below face on stubhub and you don't deal with losing money on pre-season games.
    The 20% preseason loss is what really gets me and we all know it is not the Jets but the NFL. And I know I am not alone on this. I have 3 very trustworthy guys I met on Craigslist surprisingly that when I need parking passes (I prefer the Green so I am in and out) they hook me up for a modest up-charge early in the season. Just for sh*ts and giggles a bunch of my buddies and I went to the Jacksonville PS for $12 a head. Had a blast and no one felt extorted. Then OD and the Miami game on the secondary market for huge discounts. Had no issues with parking, neighbors in the seats next to me or anything of that sort. Sat in 342 all 3 times, left the games as the gun sounded and was out on Route 3 heading west in 2 minutes. Call me crazy but I don't like to overpay for anything. And I had as good a time as any STH. Was a former one myself. Not any more.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by E4orBust View Post
    As I said if you have season tickets, sell off a premium game to cover your losses. What happens when there is a home playoff game? The premium you will pay on stubhub will blow away any savings you think have. Stubhub is great for fans who only want to do 1-3 maybe 4 games.