Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Winters ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Never said he didn't have talent I just don't think he's ready to be a full-time starter yet. I guess watching him be a turnstile last season didn't convince you.
    I guess you failed to understand that the guy was learning a new position. He had little camp practice time due to an injury. Kids do struggle under the circumstances. Towards the end of the year he played rather decently. If you want to talk about being a turnstile, BRICK gave up a lot of sacks himself. Why dump on a kid and not a vet?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I guess you failed to understand that the guy was learning a new position. He had little camp practice time due to an injury. Kids do struggle under the circumstances. Towards the end of the year he played rather decently. If you want to talk about being a turnstile, BRICK gave up a lot of sacks himself. Why dump on a kid and not a vet?
    Who's dumping on him? All I said was he wasn't ready. I'm sorry if I don't already consider him all-pro unlike you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    Winters was terrible last season. Did anybody here even watch the games?

He was the worst o-lineman I've ever seen in my life.
    He might get better but I wouldn't let him on the field during a game if he didn't prove himself in practice first.

As much as I have been critical of Geno Smith, even he doesn't deserve to have Winters as the only thing standing between him and a blood thirsty Mario Williams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    New position or not, the NFL stands for Not For Long when you play like Winters did out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

Would be an enormous mistake to neglect the OL this off-season. Winters should be the depth guy not Vlad Suckasse.
    is vlad still on an nfl roster ? ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh really?

Well, once upon a time, the New York Jets had an offensive lineman named Wayne Hunter....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NoJokeJets View Post
    Oh really?

Well, once upon a time, the New York Jets had an offensive lineman named Wayne Hunter....
    Don't forget Anthony Clement. Hunter at least had a small stretch of good games before he imploded.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys - in all seriousness - Winters was abysmal last year. I saw no silver lining in his actual play. Sure, new position, nagging injuries, mean streak, rookie blah blah - bottom line is the tape on this kid was terrible. If we're basing future success on past accomplishments we're in trouble.

Demario Davis made the leap to a decent starter after a bad rookie year so it can be done but IMO he sucks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Guys - in all seriousness - Winters was abysmal last year. I saw no silver lining in his actual play. Sure, new position, nagging injuries, mean streak, rookie blah blah - bottom line is the tape on this kid was terrible. If we're basing future success on past accomplishments we're in trouble.

Demario Davis made the leap to a decent starter after a bad rookie year so it can be done but IMO he sucks.
    He was bad last year, no doubt. But he's the type of player that I call "all the tools are in the shed." The ability is there, the pulling, ability too locate blocker, young guy, athletic for a big guy, and a nasty streak that should come out with more confidence.

Will he ever put it together? I think he will because I can see these positives in his game. No difference on not giving up on Milliner because he always showed the ability even though he struggled. I hate relying on excuses, but Winters had some legit ones.

I know this won't help, but for comparison sake Vlad never possessed the upside that Winters has. OL is one of the many positions that rookies struggle at, I'm just looking for the traits that can move a prospect forward in his career and make him a viable starter. IMO Winters has a high upside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I would bring in a FA guard regardless. You need depth on the OL
    This. If Winters doesn't improve in his pass blocking at least we'd have someone other than Vlad to plug in.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

SOJF.

The worst lineman you've ever seen? Really? Vlad? Slauson's first year? And if you go back into Jets history, there are a bunch. In fact, every team has had a bout of inadequate linemen.

At least Winters has potential.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Vlad's last year. Drafted in 2010 and signed a four-year deal worth $3.25 million.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he did NOT have a " good " rookie season.
    i hope he becomes/develops into a quality nfl ol.
    we'll see...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, he did have a tough time making the transition to the NFL. Yet his play like Gino's seem to begin to stabilize towards the end of the season. Have to give him the full offseason and TC to prepare before making a judgement. The up coming season will be the one to judge him on. One thing for sure, the Jets need to continue to draft and develop young offensive linemen. The trenches is where we win or lose many game. It is my belief that as long as Rex is the HC, he will always want to pound the ball. In spite of NFL trends, a strong running game controls the clock and depletes the defense energy.
    If we can develop our O line as well as we have our D line, we could be down right scary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once again our G's were the weak link on the team last season. However, Winters is young and you can't give up on him after one season. He played better last season than Ducasse has played in his entire tenure. That is my belief.

Colon was more of a leader than he was a good player. Still would like to have him back however as he is serviceable and at the very least could be a solid 6th OL. If we remain a team who is determined to run the football, he should definitely be back as the starting RG. If we're going to become more of a passing team, he should no longer be considered a starter.

It will hopefully be addressed this off-season by Idzik & Co.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Once again our G's were the weak link on the team last season. However, Winters is young and you can't give up on him after one season. He played better last season than Ducasse has played in his entire tenure. That is my belief.

Colon was more of a leader than he was a good player. Still would like to have him back however as he is serviceable and at the very least could be a solid 6th OL. If we remain a team who is determined to run the football, he should definitely be back as the starting RG. If we're going to become more of a passing team, he should no longer be considered a starter.

It will hopefully be addressed this off-season by Idzik & Co.
    the " i - man " will bring in at least 2 og's

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no silver lining at all, but judging his performance in a vacuum, yeah, he was pretty bad. I do think he improved somewhat towards the end of the season. But overall, when you draft a Guard in the 3rd round, you'd like to be able to plug him at some point and get at least average play in return. Winters struggled a lot, but I think he had enough bright spots to think/hope he can improve in 14'. I wouldn't put all the eggs in his basket, but I wouldn't mind if he got a decent shot at the position again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NoJokeJets View Post
    Oh really?

And Vlad Ducasse.

Winters may or may not wind up being a decent player, and he struggled as a rookie, for sure. But guys like Hunter and Ducasse were game-decidingly bad when they played. Winters wasn't. Since he's coming from a mid-major conference in college, it's a bigger leap to the NFL. Decent chance he becomes serviceable this year, imo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    He was bad last year, no doubt. But he's the type of player that I call "all the tools are in the shed." The ability is there, the pulling, ability too locate blocker, young guy, athletic for a big guy, and a nasty streak that should come out with more confidence.

Will he ever put it together? I think he will because I can see these positives in his game. No difference on not giving up on Milliner because he always showed the ability even though he struggled. I hate relying on excuses, but Winters had some legit ones.

I know this won't help, but for comparison sake Vlad never possessed the upside that Winters has. OL is one of the many positions that rookies struggle at, I'm just looking for the traits that can move a prospect forward in his career and make him a viable starter. IMO Winters has a high upside.
    With all respect I disagree with almost everything in this post. He is not an athletic interior lineman, this is not Kevin Mawae running sweeps. He is actually unathletic, he has decent ability finding someone to block on the second level - that's the nicest thing I can say about him. At times he got absolutely pancaked on his ass by stunting LBers - indicating poor strength and poor recognition. He simply looked overmatched, getting beat by both speed and power, far too often IMO.

Furthermore, Vlad had a huge ceiling, Winters can't come close to how good Vlad's body could've let him be - the problem of course is he is mongoloid stupid. Vlad's bulk and strength with good agility are near ideal. The Jets almost drafted Vlad in the 1st round over Kyle Wilson because they thought his ceiling was that high, they were elated when he slipped to round 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Converting from Tackle to Guard is not as easy a transition as some think. Everything happens faster at guard, defenders get on you quicker and decisions need to be made faster. It was going to be a tough transition for Winters, especially coming from a smaller program and then getting injured early on did not help with that. I would expect a much smoother year for him this year, provided he stays healthy and has an entire off-season of work outs and a full camp.