Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Dri Archer - RB

Trindon Holiday 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I don't put much stock in the bench for short guys. It's a lot easier for guys with short arms to do a lot reps. It's a good number, but he's not like Sproles. Like sec.101row23 said Sproles is 20lb heavier. That's a HUGE difference. Have you ever seen his thighs? They're incredibly thick. I'd love to have Archer on the Jets, but I'm not taking him before round 5. He's too much of a gadget player.
    I hear ya on the short arms/bench thing, but still the kid did one less rep than clowney.....Thomas only did 8 which is a pretty big difference as far as strength.

I just think if a guy kerleys size 5'9 188 can handle 8 catches a game and we wouldnt blink an eye, a guy who is 5'7 177 can handle a slightly smaller workload and will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Let's not be enamored with 40 times. Yeah, dude looks fast but look who he's playing against.
    Best run on the tape was at 0:50 in - kid's got vision and can cut on a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    Trindon Holiday 2.0.
    Holiday is the shortest person in the league at 5'5 so basically 3 inches shorter and 18 pounds lighter.

He also has multiple punt and kick returns on his career resume.

Archer would be good (and so would De'Anthony Thomas), but there is a reason why these guys were low round picks even before the combine (and it's not like we didn't know they were fast). They are luxury picks that can take advantage on teams where other players take up the defense's attention. For us, we would need to have a No. 1, and legit No. 2 WRs for Thomas or Archer to be effective because they are one on one nightmares. We all saw what happened with Tavon Austin last year with the Rams, and he was a better prospect that both of these guys. They didn't have the weapons around him nor the system to take advantage of his skills, so all he seemed to do was catch short passes and get tackled.

I would love to take Archer/Thomas, but it would have to be AFTER we secure a No. 1 and No. 2 WR in FA/Early Round in the Draft before it would actually be as effective as all of us hope.

My dream scenario has always been to pair Decker/Maclin, Lee/Evans, Moncrief/Richardson as offseason additions, and then add a speed RB/WR hybrid like Thomas or Archer. This would allow us to have a pistol formation with Ivory and Thomas/Archer in it, and give Geno and MM a plethora of options to choose from at the line depending on what the defense is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    I don't put much stock in the bench for short guys. It's a lot easier for guys with short arms to do a lot reps. It's a good number, but he's not like Sproles. Like sec.101row23 said Sproles is 20lb heavier. That's a HUGE difference. Have you ever seen his thighs? They're incredibly thick. I'd love to have Archer on the Jets, but I'm not taking him before round 5. He's too much of a gadget player.
    It's impressive for a 175lbs man.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    It's impressive for a 175lbs man.
    I'm not saying they're bad numbers, but I don't think it makes him more than gadget player. Personally I wouldn't draft him till round 5 at the earliest in this deep draft.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Holiday is the shortest person in the league at 5'5 so basically 3 inches shorter and 18 pounds lighter.

He also has multiple punt and kick returns on his career resume.
    2 inches shorter. Not a big difference between 5'7" and 5'5".

All Pro
    rushing 325 2342 receiving 99 1194 scrimmage 424 3536 kick returns 51 1436 28.2 looks like he produced a little, and held up. Doesn't exactly look like a gadget player to me. He's just small. He runs nice routes for a WR, and out of the backfield. I wouldn't be upset if we used a 4th on him. Could look very good in the WCO. MM could do a lot of things with him. I'm seeing him split out wide, and dropping back. Would look very good as a deep back in the shotgun. Teams would have no idea what we were going to do.

I'm liking the sound of this, more and more

All Pro
    The only thing I don't like is that he doesn't return punts. Why do scouts never specify. I mean returner is not generic, but they use it that way all the time. That would be like grouping punters, and kickers.

I'm also pissed off that he ran such a good 40. Now GMs, and owners are going to be looking extra hard at him. MM is usually one of the few that grabs the mighty mites. Hopefully this hype will settle down, and most GMs/OCs will go back to their old ways of discounting anyone under 5'10. Most of them wouldn't know what to do with him anyway. See Tanny in SL.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    2 inches shorter. Not a big difference between 5'7" and 5'5".
    How about 5'10 180 lbs to 6' 200lbs. Is there a difference there?

Speed kills. This guy won't make it to rd. 3 now where the Jets are selecting.
    same size as Austin, only tested considerably better (faster, stronger, better overall combine #'s)...
    Just like us fans who are falling in love with the Chris Johnson like speed, there will be team's in rd. 2-3 who feel the same way + can afford to take a chance.

Not bad for a guy who up until a month ago was considered in many circles a 7th rounder/FA pickup...

Jets Insider VIP
    The thing with Archer. Yes, he is obviously very fast, but after watching his highlight videos, nothing really jumps out at me. He seems to have decent hands, burst etc. But... Most of his highlights show him basically outrunning inferior MAC defenses. He was obviously much faster than the defenses he faced, I would have liked to seen him challenged where he would have had to shown more of his quickness and elusiveness.

I like Archer, but, IMO, he is not a RB at the next level. He's a project as a slot guy who can do a little RB work for you at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Zeppelin View Post
    I like Archer, but, IMO, he is not a RB at the next level. He's a project as a slot guy who can do a little RB work for you at times.
    I dont think anyone believes he is a 10-20 carry guy. But he is definitely someone who can carry the ball 3-4 times as a RB in select situations and definitely in jet-sweep runs, and operate out of the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont think anyone believes he is a 10-20 carry guy. But he is definitely someone who can carry the ball 3-4 times as a RB in select situations and definitely in jet-sweep runs, and operate out of the slot.
    Right…. out of the slot. That's the key. He has to be good enough in the slot or he's just a gimmick/special teamer. I like Archer, but he's more back than receiver at this point and he needs to be more receiver than RB as a pro. He'd add an element to the Jets if they could get him on the field enough. They have a ton of late picks, so he's worth a shot at some point. I just hope they don't reach.