Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: The Players Who Will Be, Or Might Be, Cut in the Coming Days

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Celek is an obvious name to keep an eye on. Kolb too. definitely gotta consider the Miller's at TE.
    I would love to sign Celek. I doubt the Eagles keep him after drafting Ertz.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Would love to sign Heath Miller to a 1-2 year deal and pair him up with Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the draft.

    We need some TE's that can actually block worth a damn.
    I'd also like the addition of Miller with a Niklas in the draft. I doubt the Steelers let him go because he can still play at a high level, Polamalu is done and he should be the easy cut for them for cap savings.

    Too think we could have had Miller way back when, and ended up with Jolley and Nugent. Everyone had him mocked to us at the time. SMH

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If you think RB is the problem on this team, I think you need to look at the big picture of chris ivory's season.

    1. LG was a small school rookie OT, who graded out as one of the worst in the league.
    2. Not a single blocking TE on the roster and the 3 players at the position are all backups AT BEST
    3. A rookie QB learning a new system who had no WRs or TEs that opposing safeties and LBs had to respect

    Working against all that, both Ivory and Powell had good seasons.

    Instead of focusing on chris johnson, what do you think that ivory and powell can do if we add 2 WRs, a real TE, and winters/Geno get another year of experience?

    I was 50-50 on the ivory signing, and still worry about his violent style, but the guy accomplished a LOT last year with no help. I would much rather us address RB with late round picks in the draft and let ivory compete with a much improved offense.
    In your rush to point out WINTERS lack of experience you conveniently forgot to mention that he got much better in the run game as the season went along. Then towards the end of the season his pass game got better too. LT allowed quite a few sacks and has never been a force in the run game. Should that not be mentioned too? Or what about the whole OL needed playing time together to gain chemistry. At the end of the season we were doing very well re the OL. Our run game was 6th in the NFL I believe I read. Just sayin'...... No rb can get yards without an OL opening holes for him, even Ivory. Now if you said that with added consistency on the OL due to playing together longer that the run game can become a top 5 run game. I'd agree with you.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 02-26-2014 at 06:41 AM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'd also like the addition of Miller with a Niklas in the draft. I doubt the Steelers let him go because he can still play at a high level, Polamalu is done and he should be the easy cut for them for cap savings.

    Too think we could have had Miller way back when, and ended up with Jolley and Nugent. Everyone had him mocked to us at the time. SMH
    What a three-year stretch Terry Bradway had:

    '03 - loses the #1 offensive weapon (Coles), plus two good lineman in Thomas and McKenzie, then trades up for D-Rob
    '04 - loses Antoine Winfield (to his wife), then signs Justin F'n McCareins
    '05 - topped it all off with a disatrous first two rounds in '05, highlighted by the Jolley trade you referenced.

    Wheels came off for Tannenbaum in '11 & '12, but he was nothing compared to Bradway disaster.

  5. #25
    The Steelers are not going to let players like Polamalu and Miller go, so that dream can stop immediately.

    A more realistic option on that list is Brent Celek. The Eagles just drafted Zach Ertz and signed James Casey last off-season, Celek is getting up there, and if released knows MM's system. Would not be a bad security option if we lose out on a premier TE at 18 or a second hand option in the 2nd. Don't know if Cumberland will be back and even if he is he is no more than a No.2 TE. Having Cumberland, Celek and a draftee would not be a problem. You can never have enough weapons.

    It's easy say any of the Philadelphia WR's and TE's are good fits here, but truly they are. Players like Celek and Avant still have game left in the tank and Maclin is obviously still a stud. Would take any and all.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    In your rush to point out WINTERS lack of experience you conveniently forgot to mention that he got much better in the run game as the season went along. Then towards the end of the season his pass game got better too. LT allowed quite a few sacks and has never been a force in the run game. Should that not be mentioned too? Or what about the whole OL needed playing time together to gain chemistry. At the end of the season we were doing very well re the OL. Our run game was 6th in the NFL I believe I read. Just sayin'...... No rb can get yards without an OL opening holes for him, even Ivory. Now if you said that with added consistency on the OL due to playing together longer that the run game can become a top 5 run game. I'd agree with you.
    In all seriousness, WTF are you even talking about?

    Thre was no negativity in my post about our run game, actually the complete opposite. With all the obstacles, (winters inexperience, Geno etc) I said ivory had a good season. Then i went on to say I expect bigger things in 2014 with many of these holes being fixed (ie "much improved offense").

    Lastly, still shocked anyone can possibly criticize DBrick. "Quite a few sacks" - do you think any of that at all has to do with the QB he has been blocking for for the past FIVE Seasons has had no clue about NFL protections or how to get rid of the ball quickly? Geno made strides, and im no knocking him, he was just a rookie, but if you gave us a QB with even mediocore understanding of a protection and how to get rid of the ball, Brick would be top 5 every single year.

  7. #27
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,372
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In all seriousness, WTF are you even talking about?

    Thre was no negativity in my post about our run game, actually the complete opposite. With all the obstacles, (winters inexperience, Geno etc) I said ivory had a good season. Then i went on to say I expect bigger things in 2014 with many of these holes being fixed (ie "much improved offense").

    Lastly, still shocked anyone can possibly criticize DBrick. "Quite a few sacks" - do you think any of that at all has to do with the QB he has been blocking for for the past FIVE Seasons has had no clue about NFL protections or how to get rid of the ball quickly? Geno made strides, and im no knocking him, he was just a rookie, but if you gave us a QB with even mediocore understanding of a protection and how to get rid of the ball, Brick would be top 5 every single year.
    Just focusing on your last point, I'm somewhat disappointed in D'Brick. He should be better than he is. He seems to get lazy at times and lets up sacks/pressures that he shouldn't be. The guy should be a no questions asked dominant LT and he falls short of that. Its frustrating because you know he has the tools and football IQ to be that guy.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,761
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'd also like the addition of Miller with a Niklas in the draft. I doubt the Steelers let him go because he can still play at a high level, Polamalu is done and he should be the easy cut for them for cap savings.

    Too think we could have had Miller way back when, and ended up with Jolley and Nugent. Everyone had him mocked to us at the time. SMH
    Yep

    Dumbest move Bradway ever made.

    Even worse than the trade up for Robertson.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Just focusing on your last point, I'm somewhat disappointed in D'Brick. He should be better than he is. He seems to get lazy at times and lets up sacks/pressures that he shouldn't be. The guy should be a no questions asked dominant LT and he falls short of that. Its frustrating because you know he has the tools and football IQ to be that guy.
    I personally think he has been subject to some exccerbated bad luck.

    IMO, one of the worst plays in the last 10 years as a Jet fan was the sack/fumble sanchez had to end the half in pitts, which Brick takes a lot of blame for. However the fact is sanchez made zero adjustments even when pitts had 3 guys lined up on brick, plus brick took the inside guy. That play definitely has stuck in peoples minds, even though it wasnt his fault.

    More then that though, the prime of Brick's career (when he hasnt missed a single game btw) has been played with a QB who offered him no help whatsoever as far as protections. Look at how well denver did when their all pro LT went down - that is because manning never let the guy get stuck alone on an island. Sanchez never, ever understood the nuances of offense or protection, which has made Bricks job more difficult then any of us fans will ever truly be able to comprehend.

    I really think we are a bit spoiled when it comes to him as far as his level of consistent, near-elite play

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Very intrigued by Chris Johnson. I think he's still got some tread left and needs a change of scenery (and a better OL).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    looks shot to me he was all about speed and that may be fading

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Man, if we sign Ware we will have that premier pass rusher we've been missing the past 5 years!

    It'll be interesting to see what Idzik has in mind for the OLB position. It seems he values speed on defense and pass rush. While Ware will have a lot of suitors, there seems to also be a number of nice prospects/DE converts coming out this draft. This will be an exciting FA/Draft.
    Another guy who is shot do you only watch jets games people his production has been declining

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    Another guy who is shot do you only watch jets games people his production has been declining
    Injured for most of last year, and playing out of position as a DE in a Tampa 2, he had 6 sacks. The year before, healthy, he had 11.5. The year before that, 19. I'll take a healthy DeMarcus Ware to replace Calvin Pace at OLB any day of the week.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,194
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    What a three-year stretch Terry Bradway had:

    '03 - loses the #1 offensive weapon (Coles), plus two good lineman in Thomas and McKenzie, then trades up for D-Rob
    '04 - loses Antoine Winfield (to his wife), then signs Justin F'n McCareins
    '05 - topped it all off with a disatrous first two rounds in '05, highlighted by the Jolley trade you referenced.

    Wheels came off for Tannenbaum in '11 & '12, but he was nothing compared to Bradway disaster.
    The irony is MT lost his job for not listening to his scouts(TB) in '11/'12.... You can't make this **** up

  14. #34
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Very intrigued by Chris Johnson. I think he's still got some tread left and needs a change of scenery (and a better OL).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A couple of back breaking runs, and the defense shuts em down. Where do I sign?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    A couple of back breaking runs, and the defense shuts em down. Where do I sign?
    Highly improbable that Johnson will sign for a team-friendly salary, but the Jets did a decent job getting Powell in space last year. Imagine if those touches went to CJ? With Ivory coming in to clean up?

    Pipe dream, but that's the 1-2 punch the Titans thought they were getting with Johnson and Lendale White a few years back.

  16. #36
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,372
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I personally think he has been subject to some exccerbated bad luck.

    IMO, one of the worst plays in the last 10 years as a Jet fan was the sack/fumble sanchez had to end the half in pitts, which Brick takes a lot of blame for. However the fact is sanchez made zero adjustments even when pitts had 3 guys lined up on brick, plus brick took the inside guy. That play definitely has stuck in peoples minds, even though it wasnt his fault.

    More then that though, the prime of Brick's career (when he hasnt missed a single game btw) has been played with a QB who offered him no help whatsoever as far as protections. Look at how well denver did when their all pro LT went down - that is because manning never let the guy get stuck alone on an island. Sanchez never, ever understood the nuances of offense or protection, which has made Bricks job more difficult then any of us fans will ever truly be able to comprehend.

    I really think we are a bit spoiled when it comes to him as far as his level of consistent, near-elite play
    You definitely bring up a good point about having QBs who have no idea how to make adjustments in protections. Too often we've seen a guy like D'Brick down block only to let the outside guy go free on a 4 man rush. That's not on D'Brick - its the protection call (most likely anyway).

    But, we've also seen D'Brick get flat out beat by guys he simply shouldn't get beat by. Of course, we've also seen him dominate some of the best Dlineman for a whole game. That's why I find him so frustrating at times. He should be the guy we never have to worry about, the guy that is always there (which he is) and will shut down the opponent's best pass rusher 98% of the time and does a competent job in the run game (he'll never be a mauler, that's just not who he is).

    Hopefully he proves me completely wrong this year - he definitely has the ability to do so.

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,381
    Celek might be the best all around TE in the game. A true inline full sized blocking TE, that also happens to catch 68% of the balls thrown his way, and average 8.5 yac. The fact that he's not the best at anything should work against him come payday. I'd love to sign him.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Celek might be the best all around TE in the game. A true inline full sized blocking TE, that also happens to catch 68% of the balls thrown his way, and average 8.5 yac. The fact that he's not the best at anything should work against him come payday. I'd love to sign him.
    Jets had Antony Becht and he was all but run out of town by the fans. Loved the guy as our TE, but that just my opinion.

  19. #39
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    441
    Surprised to read this morning that the Brownies have cut D'Qwell Jackson. Locker room leader and only 30. He did take up some cap room, but I thought the Browns would be flush with cap space. Head-scratching move, for mine.

  20. #40
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    441
    Michael Oher not on that list, either. Seems to be a monty for the chop.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us