Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis Trade Rumors? Buckle Up

Revis Trade Rumors? Buckle Up

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...uld-be-on-move

Teams are exploring dealing for Bucs corner Darrelle Revis, according to league sources, with some believing there is a good chance he will be dealt by the start of the league year.

During the combine, sources from several teams began reaching out to the Bucs about the possibility they might deal corner Darrelle Revis, and rival executives believe a deal could be possible.

At this stage no one is making offers, and the Bucs haven't contacted other teams about the Pro Bowl player, and are not shopping him, but talks could certainly progress as we approach the start of the league year next month. Revis makes $16 million this season and counts $16M against the cap (that holds true for every season through 2018), and Tampa has several other tricky contracts to sort through, particularly along the offensive line with an aging and highly paid group, many of whom are nearing the ends of their contracts.

This is the first year of Tampa's new regime with general manager Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith. They did not acquire Revis and Revis may not the best fit in their new defense, with more Cover-2 principles. Smith has talked about retaining Revis publicly, but as the free agency period begins, teams are seemingly more convinced he could be had via trade. Hence the calls of inquiry.

Revis got no guaranteed money, so he could be traded or released without cap or cash ramifications (no cap acceleration) and thus Tampa could conceivably get assets in return for him, and then use his cap and cash savings to address several other positions. A sampling of general managers during the combine asked what they thought Revis would earn per season on the open market, put him in the $8M-$9M million range given his ACL injury from 2012 and what has transpired in the corner market in recent years. They figured Revis might earn in the range of the Titans' Alterraun Verner, the top free agent corner, might get on the open market. Verner is younger.

Would all of that be enough to convince Licht and Smith to part with him? And how much could Tampa actually get in return for him?

League sources anticipate the degree of conversations to intensify as March 11 approaches. Revis had a strong return from his surgery and played at a Pro Bowl level last season, and his agents, Neil Schwartz and Jon Feinsod did a tremendous job in getting him $16M/season, or roughly $6M more per year than any other corner in the game. But with Revis turning 29 in July, there is a growing sense among general managers that Tampa could end up moving Revis in the coming weeks if there is sufficient interest.

Note: timing of trade could impact whether Jets get a 3rd or 4th rounder from TB in this years draft.
    Last edited by SINYJets; 02-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.

If he were truly the "best" at his position, he wouldn't be getting shuttled off to a new team every year. Dude has got to be bring something negative to the table that doesn't get talked about...

Think about it. In his past 3 seasons we've seen the team he plays for turn into circus atmosphere. Coach more or less losing players. Interesting that Rex arguably lost the team in years 3 and 4, but not this past year after Revis was sent to TB. Where Revis was speaking out against the coach down there before mid-season.

If he gets cut and signs someplace for $8m to $9m, I will laugh my a$$ off. And then cry.

Bucs wouldn't get close to the 1st and 3rd round pick we got.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    If he were truly the "best" at his position, he wouldn't be getting shuttled off to a new team every year. Dude has got to be bring something negative to the table that doesn't get talked about...

Think about it. In his past 3 seasons we've seen the team he plays for turn into circus atmosphere. Coach more or less losing players. Interesting that Rex arguably lost the team in years 3 and 4, but not this past year after Revis was sent to TB. Where Revis was speaking out against the coach down there before mid-season.
    By all accounts, Revis was/is a great presence in any lockerroom he's ever been in. He's a pain in the ass to deal with in the GM's office.

''At this stage no one is making offers, and the Bucs haven't contacted other teams''

L O ****ing L

All League
    And the word is starting to spread . . ..

per Roto:

Darrelle Revis - DB - Buccaneers

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, some rival executives believe Darrelle Revis is "ripe to be dealt" at the start of the new league year on March 11.
    Per La Canfora who swung and missed on his Sam Bradford report last week teams have been calling to inquire on Revis, but the Bucs have "not shopped (him) at all." Sources tell La Canfora that Tampa hasn't received any firm offers, but that "inquires could ramp up in coming weeks." New coach Lovie Smith has insisted he'll find a spot for Revis in his Tampa-2 zone, while Revis' salary would make any deal a long-shot. We'd consider him highly unlikely to be dealt.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter Feb 25 - 4:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    ''At this stage no one is making offers, and the Bucs haven't contacted other teams''

L O ****ing L
    Imminent.

All League
    All I care about is how it affects our 3rd rounder from them.

REvis would have to be traded by March 14th and that likely isn't going to happen.

I'd put our money on us getting the 3rd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    REvis would have to be traded by March 14th and that likely isn't going to happen.

Thanks. Was just about to ask what the deadline date was for him being off of TBs roster.

I knew they would cut him or trade him, no team pumps 16 mil a year into the CB position without a long term answer QB.

Disappointed we could lose this extra 3rd.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Thanks, I hope you are right. At this point, I don't care what the Bucs do with him, as long as we get our 3rd rounder.

Joke's on Tampa. They are paying $16 million/year for a CB to play the flat in a cover 2. If Lovie and his GM have any brains they will trade him for zero cap hit, and use the free money more wisely to rebuild their o-line. They have a good QB to build around now.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...uld-be-on-move

Note: timing of trade could impact whether Jets get a 3rd or 4th rounder from TB in this years draft.
    Why does it affect us? I thought we had to pass a certain date to acquire the 3rd rd pick?
    Like the 3rd day into the off-season or Free Agency or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Why does it affect us? I thought we had to pass a certain date to acquire the 3rd rd pick?
    Like the 3rd day into the off-season or Free Agency or something?
    If he's traded before the date (3/14) the 3rd rounder we get from TB becomes a 4th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Joke's on Tampa. They are paying $16 million/year for a CB to play the flat in a cover 2. If Lovie and his GM have any brains they will trade him for zero cap hit, and use the free money more wisely to rebuild their o-line. They have a good QB to build around now.
    These new bastards in Tampa are seeing how damn deep this draft is & keeping that 3rd & getting rid of the 16 million dollar albatross is a win freaking win for a team that has zero chance of winning a Super Bowl & even with the great Darelle Revis played in front of an invisible fan base & a chitload of blacked out games!
    This is not looking good, a lot can happen in a few weeks if the new brass with the Bucs tell his deekhead agents that there is no way in hell that Revis is even sniffing 16 mill!
    Someone here said Revis & his agents will just be highest bidder mercenaries the rest of his career, I think we are starting to hear the rumblings of just that without the championships like Deion Sanders.

Ultimate worst case scenario: New England trades for him, he's back to 100% health, and Belichick let's him play man

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    By all accounts, Revis was/is a great presence in any lockerroom he's ever been in. He's a pain in the ass to deal with in the GM's office.
    He spoke out against his coach this year, then had to back-pedal, but his point was made before mid-season. I say, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

We may "think" he's fine in the lockerroom, but all we have to prove that is an assumption... meanwhile, we have proof of him literally undermining his coach this past year. So, it's just as safe an assumption (if not safer, since it's informed by actual examples of him doing it) to think he's probably done it before.

Why would a team trade picks for him and take on a 16 million salary? Why not wait to see if Tampa cuts him? This sounds like Tampa trying to generate business, but teams would likely wait til he was cut so they can renegotiate a contract for him.