Thread: New York Jets trainers assist ailing woman on plane

New York Jets trainers assist ailing woman on plane

Jets trainers assist ailing woman on plane

Two athletic trainers from the New York Jets, on their way to the NFL scouting combine last week in Indianapolis, helped rescue an elderly woman in severe distress on an airplane at Newark Airport.

It happened on a Newark-to-Indianapolis flight last Monday. The door had just closed on the plane when a passenger alerted other passengers that an elderly woman sitting next to her needed immediate medical help.

As it turned out, there was a doctor on the plane. He identified himself as an ICU/cardiologist. Jets trainers Josh Koch and Dave Zuffelato also were on board. The three of them worked together to remove the woman from the plane to the jetway.

Once on the jetway, Kock and Zuffelato, along with the doctor, administered CPR for approximately five minutes until paramedics arrived. A short time later, the trainers got back on the plane and made their way to Indianapolis, where they would spend the next several days examining college prospects for the NFL draft. The item was first reported by David Chao, a former NFL doctor who writes a medical column for National Football Post.

“We’re conditioned to help people," Zuffelato said. "When the situation arose, the doctor, Josh and I did our best to help."

This marked the second time this offseason the Jets have made news on an airplane. A month ago, quarterback Geno Smith was involved in an altercation with a flight attendant that resulted in him leaving the plane before takeoff. The airline issue a public apology to Smith, but it came after a lot of unflattering publicity.

CLICK ME FOR ESPN LINK
    Idzik's plan is working. Jets are becoming less circus-y by the day.

Good for those guys.
    Last edited by John_0515; 02-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Sal Alosi saved a woman on a plane too. He tripped a choking woman as she ran down the aisle. When she fell the food dislodged. And look at how we repaid him.

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Sal Alosi saved a woman on a plane too. He tripped a choking woman as she ran down the aisle. When she fell the food dislodged. And look at how we repaid him.
    I sense much hate in you.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Did the woman live?

Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Hilarious. Reminds me of the joke...I saved your life. I killed a shlt eating dog.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I sense much hate in you.
    LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    This is all over the news and being covered widely, much like the Tebow signing, Rex's wife's feet, etc.

Not.

wtf is with the ending to that article? Just have to throw something negative in there huh? And even obfuscating the "airline issued an apology" with all this "unflattering publicity".

It's a media makeup call for the Smith coverage. After they messed that one up they owed the Jets one.

We need more of that kind of story from our media.

Bewildered Beast
    What's the big deal? They are trained to help those on the jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

She lucked out. It could've been the Mets' training/medical staff.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    wtf is with the ending to that article? Just have to throw something negative in there huh? And even obfuscating the "airline issued an apology" with all this "unflattering publicity".
    Right? Totally dickish and not at all relevant.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Obviously the Jets are getting the plane thing figured out

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    She lucked out. It could've been the Mets' training/medical staff.
    You sure got that right.

I'd fire the Mets training and medical staff before any player or coach.

Any word if she made it? CPR is a very low success rate intervention, but there is a better chance if it was a witnessed cardiac arrest, as opposed to somebody coming across a pulseless body or a trauma arrest.