Thread: Salary Cap Explained

All League

Salary Cap Explained

Very good article on the management of the cap:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/26/nfl-salary-cap-explained/

The writer (Andrew Brandt) used to be in GB front office

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Much like paying on credit with some of these contract renegotiations to defer cap spending. I certainly agree with the authors thought to pay as you go as much as you can and avoid being a cap slave.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Much like paying on credit with some of these contract renegotiations to defer cap spending. I certainly agree with the authors thought to pay as you go as much as you can and avoid being a cap slave.
    Tanny special.

Just look at the Fitzgerald restructure. It is just a bandaid. His cap number is $23.6 million in 2015. All they did was kick the can down the road.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-26-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Tanny special.

Just look at the Fitzgerald restructure. It is just a bandaid. His cap number is $23.6 million in 2015. All they did was kick the can down the road.
    With the way job security is in this league I can certainly see the temptation though. It's win now or win short term or you are gone in many cases and people don't care if they leave things a mess. The surprises are teams that have long term stable3 front offices like a Baltimore that could get themselves in a mess.

Hall Of Fame

Salary Cap Explained

With the way job security is in this league I can certainly see the temptation though. It's win now or win short term or you are gone in many cases and people don't care if they leave things a mess. The surprises are teams that have long term stable3 front offices like a Baltimore that could get themselves in a mess.
    You're right. Part of the reason why Tanny got away with it was bc he was extending players he drafted. Unfortunately you cant really do much of that either (especially if they are all getting top $$ relative to their position). You just have to keep drafting well and make tough decisions.

We went for broke and came up short. Now if we can get some good QB play we will probably have another 3 or so year window with all the cap space and picks.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Tanny special.

Tanny COMPLETELY destroyed this team!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    But to be fair, it's always about winning now and dealing with next year's problem....next year. It's like US Presidents.....let's spend now and we'll see the benefits later. Give me my program now and we'll balance the budget in 3 years when the next guy is in office. GMs aren't much different. Get me my player, make it cap friendly now and then pay him a $37 million bonus in 2017.

Great article

This section is in my opinion, what we need to do with our cap space:

For example, say a team and player agree on a $10 million cash spend in the first year of a contract. With optimal cap management, the team would not use a signing bonus but rather pay the $10 million in monies not subject to proration (salary, roster bonus, etc.) This would contain the cap cost, giving the deal a clean cap–no remaining charges—if things ever went south with the player. This pay-as-you-go strategy—with cash and cap aligned—puts teams ahead of the curve.

Taking the cash-cap idea above one step further, I think we are in a situation where rather then splurge on FA, we can front load some of our RFAs and save money later. For instance, if we are gonna give Howard a 4 year $16 million deal, why not give no signing bonus, guarantee his first 2 years and make his 2014 cash and cap number $6 milllion, 2015 $4 million and the next 2 years $3million each so that in essence we have extra money in those years to pay guys like richardson.

We have cleared SO much space, without losing any production (looking at you holmes and sanchez) that we can really look to spend cash AND cap now, while still preserving the future.

Side note - i also thought the suggs thing they referenced could apply to cro as well. I really dont want to restructure him. I know some people want him here (I dont) but if we do, id rather see a series of 1 year deals. I dont want a single dollar of pain in the future for him.

Hall Of Fame
    The Tanny years were a bitter memory. I still cannot believe that so many people around here were taken in by his "I would gladly pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today" strategery. The whole notion that he was a "cap genius" is doubly absurd give the state he left the team in.

Lock up Wilkerson now but at a total number which reflects the fact that the club controls him for the next three years.

Lock up Snacks asap and his rotational compliment, Kenrick Ellis (should be cheap) - Snacks may be expensive but he has outperformed hi UDFA deal and other teams would have no problem swooping in if we try to get too cute here.

We can wait a little on Richardson but if we do the other three then, barring catastrophic injury we will have a defensive foundation like Plymouth rock for the next 5 years at least. Five years is a lifetime in the NFL.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

You're right. Part of the reason why Tanny got away with it was bc he was extending players he drafted. Unfortunately you cant really do much of that either (especially if they are all getting top $$ relative to their position). You just have to keep drafting well and make tough decisions.

We went for broke and came up short. Now if we can get some good QB play we will probably have another 3 or so year window with all the cap space and picks.
    We did, but in reality, it wasn't so much the spend as it was spending it on the wrong players. If Sanchez and Holmes were even 80% as good as their contracts, we were probably in the playoffs last year. For as much as the Jets doled out some big deals to Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, etc., its not like they had to let a marquee player (like Mario Williams) walk. Its somewhat understood that cap spending is cyclical. There are some years you have the money to spend freely and grab a bunch of FAs, and then afterwards you have a few lean years. Its not like Idzik made this cap room - it was the way Tanny structured it. Of course, we know now (and had inklings or more then) that these deals sucked because the players were not what they should have been, but the spending was basically par for the course for the league.

Batman made the point yesterday that these deals were structured so that they would be cuttable now and that's a good point. Unfortunately we are making use of the strucutured "out" in these deals (I'd much rather have a #1 WR and franchise QB than the cap space), but at least its there to use.

Great drop KRL as always informative