Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: Eagles to re-sign both Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Celek

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    I wonder how much he's getting per year. I'd guess around 6 mil a year. He didn't break 1000 yards so I can't imagine it being much higher.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No big deal. i would rather sign nicks and sanders anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Good news. Now we won't see the Jets overpay for these two scrubs.
    No matter who you want in FA, Maclin being resigned is not a good thing. Maybe they don't overpay for him (or Cooper), but the asking price for the guys that will hit the market just went up a little bit.

I liked Maclin because I thought he could be signed to a deal that wouldn't commit the Jets long-term. The other viable guys on the market aren't coming off injury and will be (understandably) looking for a payday with some security. Personally, I'm not in love with the thought of a 4-year deal for any of the guys we've been discussing...but that's likely what they'll want.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Maclin is still my #1 target. I can't understand how his management team would endorse signing a one year deal prior to letting the market establish his value. It doesn't make any sense.

1. No team is blowing him away with a deal coming off his injury. At most he was looking at a 2 year deal or an incentive laden type contract with very little if any guaranteed money.

2. Signing a 1 year deal with Philly and re entering FA next year is a pretty smart plan if you ask me. As long as he's healthy, in Chip Kelly's offense he's going to put up some pretty big numbers. Then you go back into the market coming of a nice year and get yourself a 4-5 year deal with big guaranteed money.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They stayed in Philly where they can be fairly certain they have a chance to get the ball. It's uncanny how the Eagles seem to find decent starting and backup QBs year after year: McNabb/AJ Feely, McNabb/Jeff Garcia, McNabb/Kolb, Vick/Kevin Kolb, Vick/somebody, Foles/Vick.

A decent starting QB and backup QB... dare to dream Jets fans. Dare to dream.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    They stayed in Philly where they can be fairly certain they have a chance to get the ball. It's uncanny how the Eagles seem to find decent starting and backup QBs year after year: McNabb/AJ Feely, McNabb/Jeff Garcia, McNabb/Kolb, Vick/Kevin Kolb, Vick/somebody, Foles/Vick.

A decent starting QB and backup QB... dare to dream Jets fans. Dare to dream.
    At 45 years and counting, we are way past the dreaming stage. Welcome to the Nightmare Zone.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
    Riley Cooper's 5-year deal done but Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin's is not. Sides are talking but not close to a deal, according to sources.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next!!! The Mornhinweg connection made Maclin attractive but a properly managed team should
    never freak out if a free agent signs with another team. And I expect Idzik to make us a "properly
    managed" team. If Maclin doesn't hit the market fine, look at:

Tate (SEA)
    Jones (GB)
    Sanders (PIT)

There's no way in the world I give Nicks what he's going to want. He's always hurt, never
    practices and in his free agent year he didn't produce. If he wasn't motivated to play to
    get a big free agent offer why would I expect him to be motivated if I gave him big $$$

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    1. No team is blowing him away with a deal coming off his injury. At most he was looking at a 2 year deal or an incentive laden type contract with very little if any guaranteed money.

2. Signing a 1 year deal with Philly and re entering FA next year is a pretty smart plan if you ask me. As long as he's healthy, in Chip Kelly's offense he's going to put up some pretty big numbers. Then you go back into the market coming of a nice year and get yourself a 4-5 year deal with big guaranteed money.
    This is just delusional.... IT's an ACL. THis isn't an injury any longer that really means much. It's a long term oil change and it's difficult to find someone who hasn't come back at a 100%. Thomas Davis is one of the best linebackers in the league and he has 3 ACL surgeries. Maclin isn't going to be ignored if he hits the FA market.

For me it remains, Maclin 1 and Manny Sanders 2.

James Jones makes no sense because the guy is 30 and he's essentially a speed receiver playing with a top 3 QB.

Nicks is awful... He's ALWAYS hurt.

Tate I'd be OK with. Either way, both Tate and Maclin are number 2 receivers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a second, Cooper got 25 million for 5 years:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...5/riley-cooper

He doesn't even have 100 catches in his four year career!!! PHI better hope
    they evaluated him properly otherwise they'll be hating that contract very
    shortly

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He probably won't be 100% until 2015. But since he tore his ACL during the summer, he should be pretty far along by week 1 of 2014.
    While maybe not 100%, being that its been 6 months since his injury, he's probably already running now and will be cleared for contact by TC. The 4 months of extra rehab time (by getting injured in August as opposed to December) can make all the difference

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

shortly
    Didn't know Eagles hired Omar Minaya.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think some of you people need to check up on what Veterans get paid... Rookies get nothing, but vets are the guys who get money now. Even ones who don't have a ton of production

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for comparison, Kerley has more catches in less years than Riley Cooper:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/.../jeremy-kerley

I'm sorry PHI is paying for what they "hope" Cooper becomes. That's dangerous
    if that contract isn't structured properly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    No matter who you want in FA, Maclin being resigned is not a good thing. Maybe they don't overpay for him (or Cooper), but the asking price for the guys that will hit the market just went up a little bit.

I liked Maclin because I thought he could be signed to a deal that wouldn't commit the Jets long-term. The other viable guys on the market aren't coming off injury and will be (understandably) looking for a payday with some security. Personally, I'm not in love with the thought of a 4-year deal for any of the guys we've been discussing...but that's likely what they'll want.
    Free Agent Wide Receivers are always expensive. Two years ago Pierre Garcon got a $42 million deal and Mario Manningham, a 3rd receiver on the giants, got big deal. If I'm spending the money I'd rather spend it on someone good like Nicks or Decker than on decent at best 2nd WR who just tore his ACL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

shortly
    Philly is falling in love with its offense-first philosophy under Kelly. Cooper is not a great WR by any means. Better the Eagles overpay him than us.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

shortly
    At least that hick's not coming to the Jets!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    **** THE EAGLES

****ING SCUMBAGS - ALL OF THEM!!!!

FIRST ASO, AND THEN MACLIN!!!!

**** THEM ALL!!!!!
    How dare the Eagles resign their good players!