Thread: What we don't know about the Jets going into FA and the draft...

What we don't know about the Jets going into FA and the draft...

What do they really think of Matt Simms? If he holds zero long term potential in the teams eyes we draft a QB in this draft to go along with Geno Smith and the inevitable vet backup.

What do they really think of oline depth? We drafted Campbell and Aboushi last year and picked up Ijanala have these guys shown enough to slot into a guard position? If not we need to draft another guard, possibly Earlier than people expect.

What do they really think of Goodson? We all know about his troubles, if he is not reliable we may want to get a fast, smaller change of pace back. (More teams are getting very good production out of the Sproules, Woodheads of the world.)

What do they really think about Cromartie? Most feel he will be cut and then resigned, do the Jets still feel good enough about him, his health and play to rely on him for a few more years? If not we might have to draft a CB early.

What do the Jets really think about their developmental safeties? (Allen, Bush, Jarrett) All saw some time last year but Rex seems to have an affinity for veteran safeties, are any of the guys mentioned good enough to seize a starter spot? If not they may want to draft a play making Safety early.

What do the Jets really think about their Ilbs? A stout dline makes linebackers look good, are Harris and Davis solidly entrenched in those posts?

These are things that most of us will freely speculate on but I'm not sure what the team really and honestly feels about those spots and it could shape our draft.

I would add dalton freeman to the Oline discussion. We met with the center from Arkansas at the combine, but Im curious if they think freeman has long term potential.

I think Goodson's contract will dictate a lot. If we can save money by cutting him prior to camp, then I think we would. But if there is no savings prior to June 1, then there is no reason not to have him in camp competing.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I would add dalton freeman to the Oline discussion. We met with the center from Arkansas at the combine, but Im curious if they think freeman has long term potential.

I think Goodson's contract will dictate a lot. If we can save money by cutting him prior to camp, then I think we would. But if there is no savings prior to June 1, then there is no reason not to have him in camp competing.
    Goodson saves 1.3 million while carrying $660k in dead money. The question is IF he is even going to be healthy enough to start camp. They may have to reach an injury settlement if they cut him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I would draft a CB early regardless of the questions (no later then third round ). Crow is old , Wilson never panned out and we all know Rex loves his corners.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What's gonna happen with colon, winters, Austin Howard & Folk as well

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What do they really think of Matt Simms? If he holds zero long term potential in the teams eyes we draft a QB in this draft to go along with Geno Smith and the inevitable vet backup.

What do they really think of oline depth? We drafted Campbell and Aboushi last year and picked up Ijanala have these guys shown enough to slot into a guard position? If not we need to draft another guard, possibly Earlier than people expect.

What do they really think of Goodson? We all know about his troubles, if he is not reliable we may want to get a fast, smaller change of pace back. (More teams are getting very good production out of the Sproules, Woodheads of the world.)

What do they really think about Cromartie? Most feel he will be cut and then resigned, do the Jets still feel good enough about him, his health and play to rely on him for a few more years? If not we might have to draft a CB early.

What do the Jets really think about their developmental safeties? (Allen, Bush, Jarrett) All saw some time last year but Rex seems to have an affinity for veteran safeties, are any of the guys mentioned good enough to seize a starter spot? If not they may want to draft a play making Safety early.

What do the Jets really think about their Ilbs? A stout dline makes linebackers look good, are Harris and Davis solidly entrenched in those posts?

These are things that most of us will freely speculate on but I'm not sure what the team really and honestly feels about those spots and it could shape our draft.
    Nice writeup, but isn't this the case with every team every year (or more broadly, with any projection in any industry ever)?

Rookie
    You'd also have to add Cumberland and Sudfeld to the list. The consensus, on JI, is that neither one of them can be anything more than a #2..... which I don't necessarily agree with. But, this is the first OC, for Cumberland, that has any idea how to use a TE. The Jets' coaches may not think an upgrade is needed, at starter.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Nice writeup, but isn't this the case with every team every year (or more broadly, with any projection in any industry ever)?
    Yes for sure but I'm hoping to get some input or guesses on some of these things. For instance, our ILB's I think a lot of people assume we are all happy with them and not looking for an upgrade. Are the Jets really that happy with those players? Would they draft a Mosely at 18?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    You'd also have to add Cumberland and Sudfeld to the list. The consensus, on JI, is that neither one of them can be anything more than a #2..... which I don't necessarily agree with. But, this is the first OC, for Cumberland, that has any idea how to use a TE. The Jets' coaches may not think an upgrade is needed, at starter.
    I didn't include those because in my opinion they are borderline #3 guys. I really do not like either one of them. Sudfeld was not drafted and showed nothing special to me, Cumberland is a 2nd class pass catching TE.

I think ILB is fine but who do we have for depth at that position? I'd focus on a replacement for Pace going into the future.

I think they'll resign howard, folk.

I don't personally think losing cumberland and sudfeld is a big deal. IMO they're nothing more than average to below average. I still can't get the image of cumberland being unable to jump more than a foot to make a catch 2 years ago. quite frankly i can't stand he and s. hill.

Woodson I think they'll replace. I really wouldn't mind tate from houston but he could be cost prohibitive. if not him then at least a 3/4th round pick on a rb who can run and catch out of the backfield. competition and depth are paramount going into camp i think.

I think idzik will make some good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Freeman's name doesn't come up often enough, but Jets were very high on him C/G.... Goodson is coming off of ACL... personally with off the field issues , injury etc... hard to imagine he stick's around.... Would be shocked if Jet's added another FA rb or possible draft choice...

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    What's gonna happen with colon, winters, Austin Howard & Folk as well
    I would not be shocked if the Jets choose to let Howard go and draft a guy like Morgan Moses in rd 1. They can use the money $5-6 mil to resign Howard to sign 2x Veteran Wide Receivers instead of just one.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Goodson saves 1.3 million while carrying $660k in dead money. The question is IF he is even going to be healthy enough to start camp. They may have to reach an injury settlement if they cut him.
    If that's the case they absolutely need to cut Goodson. Bad knee, off-field baggage and not really a good player to begin with.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I would not be shocked if the Jets choose to let Howard go and draft a guy like Morgan Moses in rd 1. They can use the money $5-6 mil to resign Howard to sign 2x Veteran Wide Receivers instead of just one.
    There's no reason to let a good RT, that the Jets spent time developing, walk away..... not for a draft pick, which is a total unknown. Unless his contract demands are unreasonable, or he makes it to FA and some team gives him a ridiculous contract, I would bet that he'll be re-signed at a fair market rate. He's been good, and is getting better..... no reason to send him to another team, so he can be good for them. OLs are all about consistency and continuity..... there's already a vacancy at RG, a 2nd year converted OT at LG, and a new starting TE, most likely. Why take a solution and make it a question?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    There's no reason to let a good RT, that the Jets spent time developing, walk away..... not for a draft pick, which is a total unknown.
    I know it's counterintuitive and I like Howard but there are some good OT prospects in the first round of the draft that would cost a fraction of what it would cost to resign Howard. Yes we have cap room but we also have holes at WR, TE, RG, LG, OLB, Both Safety positions, and CB. Plus we really need to grow a pair and break the bank at WR - no more JAG free agent 2nd or 3rd wideouts we need Nicks and/or Decker plus a slot guy like Edelman or McCluster.

3 years ago if I said the Jets would be dumb to resign Sione Pouha it would have been scoffed at. Well, he got cut one year later. Not saying same thing will happen with Howard it won't but sometimes you don't need to make the obvious resign.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

For the most part, I don't think they think very much of it. This team has strengths, none of them are listed above.

I feel like much of what is listed (outside of ILB) are situations ripe for upgrading if FA and the draft dictate it. Lack of talent at WR and TE are a priority. Safety too; pick one, FS or SS. The rest fall into the Richardson rule. Huge need, no? Good enough to pass on talent? not a chance.