Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Justin Gilbert might be BPA at 18...

CB Justin Gilbert might be BPA at 18...

The cliff is precipitous after Gilbert and Dennard are gone, on the other hand the Jets have plenty of chances to get their game changing WR in the second to fourth round. I know we're all enamored with the idea of a WR or TE with the first pick, but it may not be the way our board stacks up in the end. Another young talented corner with insane athleticism might make more sense, in my opinion a topnotch corner is way harder to find than a WR, thoughts?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Do you plan on re-signing Cro to a mid level #1 cb deal first?

If not, (and if nobody else brought in as a FA) still I don't pull the trigger on that .... But .... I could at least try and understand someone making that argument .

Sorry, I go best available OFFENSIVE player ... With a heavy leaning towards WR

That is where our biggest area of need is

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I probably will double dip in the 2-4 round range at WR as well

None of the CB in this draft are worth a 1st. I would be mad as heck if any of them are on our short board. 2 Ss but this is a very poor CB class IMO.

All League
    My thoughts EXACTLY.

There could be that possible predicament of BPA at #18 is, yet again as #13 in 2013, a defensive player. This draft is much deeper @ WR than defense or TE. It may be the way to go if the Jets are TRULY committed to amassing the best talent/player available in that slot.

The Wizard of Idz showed us last year that he'll pull the trigger on the BPA - #91 Shelly - that's on his board and recent draft history/critiques BE DAMNED!

I would prefer WR if the value is there (varies by opinion), but taking a STUD CB, S, TE, or OL (the scarcer positions of talent this year IMO) that has dropped into our laps and would go against the experts' "But, but , but . . . the Jets NEEDED yadda yadda yadda" is definitely a possibility.

If he went defense again, would Idzik be a maverick or Rex's lap dog? My opinion, he doesn't give a F*ck what we or anyone else thinks. I relate to & respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    None of the CB in this draft are worth a 1st. I would be mad as heck if any of them are on our short board. 2 Ss but this is a very poor CB class IMO.
    I agree with you I don't see any of the CBs high to mid first round talent. Honestly I think Verrett is probably better than Dennard and Gilbert. Dennard is very scheme specific. You can't play him off or he'll get burnt, and everyone loves Gilbert's speed and return ability. He's good but he's end of the 1st or early 2nd for me. I'd much rather spend a 3rd on EJ Gaines or Baptiste. Even a 4th on Phillip Gaines if he's projected to go there now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sweet sheezus.....if Rex goes defense at #18 there won't be enough server capacity in the world to keep Sooth's site up and running!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Sweet sheezus.....if Rex goes defense at #18 there won't be enough server capacity in the world to keep Sooth's site up and running!
    But do you think/believe/possibly see it happening?

I do.

And after being completely baffled and eventually wrong about Shelly last year. I'm starting to accept that possible scenario becoming reality.

All League
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-cb-metrics-10

When I read that, I don't want Gilbert - regardless of combine.

If Dennard fell, which I don't think will happen now, I'd take him if he was the BPA. Dee played great down the stretch, and the consensus is that Cro will be cut and re-signed, but Dee isn't a guarantee to be good, nor Cro to be here after next year (even this year).

Still would rather see an offensive player, but you've always gotta be prepared.

Good stuff, but you have to take into account that they let Gilbert play press on only 10% of snaps where Dennard made a living. A corner playing more cover two or 6-10 yards from the receiver will have a hard time breaking up passes in the 5-20 yard range but will have an easier time defending longer throws. It bears noting that Dennard performed equally well across the board, he appears to be more NFL ready to start from day one while Gilbert has the higher upside and all the tools to succeed but will take a while longer to develop, sort of like Miliner did.

Corners take at least a year to come on, even Revis took a while, but I have a feeling Rex can harness this kid's talent and fashion a CB to his liking, but if we draft him of course expect people to call him a bust if he's not Deion Sanders from day one.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 02-27-2014 at 03:37 AM.

If I'm Idzik I'm going balls to the wall to sign Verner in free agency!
    Anytime a team in transition & salary cap mess lets a young guy like him dangle in the free agency pool you pounce like a tiger.
    Verner can step right in!
    What the hell else are we going to do with our 35 million folks? Screw this signing old guys sh*t. No way Idzik pays any FA receiver big dollars, it's not cost effective, plus what free agent receiver this year is REALLY worth a HUGE contract?
    I say none of them!
    You keep working to get this Oline in shape & make sure we have that RG position covered. You keep looking for that pass rushing OLB.
    You solidify that porous secondary by signing Verner, maybe moving up in the 2nd for Pryor if he drops, or maybe HA Ha Clinton Dix drops to us at 18, (the guy is the real deal!).
    Idzik will make hay on offense from round 2 thru 4 with our 4 picks, that's where the value is in this draft!
    My guess is that BPA at 18 will be defense. We are in that spot where the no brainer picks on offense are gone. I can see a scenario where 2-4 ends up being WR, TE, LB, WR, and then a 5th round RB, with the rest of the draft concentrating on potential players that proved in college to be special teams standouts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Words can't describe how pissed and disappointed I'd be if we went CB in Round 1.

If we take someone like Clinton-Dix or an OLB like Barr falls to us, then I'm fine with going the defensive route.

But it would be ridiculous to take a corner in the 1st round 3 out of 5 years.

Don't see why it's so impossible for us to take a CB in the 3rd or 4th round and develop him into a respectable starter a year or two down the road.

i don't agree that gilbert could be BPA at 18. even if he is trade down is better and add a pick. just restructure/resign cro. We can't keep drafting defense with such a pathetic offense. we need at least 2 WR, 1 TE drafted and still FA brought in at the WR position. possibly even a guard as well.

what happens in free agency will shape our board going into the draft.

I really want the Jets to go offense early and often, but if the right defensive player is available I wouldn't be opposed. However, the one position I really don't want to draft is CB. Milliner looks like the real deal and Cro should be back with a smaller contract so no need for another CB. If we took a stud LBer/safety I would shrug my shoulders and be ok with it.

All League
    I could see a Sheldon Richardson situation at #18 where we draft a defensive player but
    I wouldn't be looking at CB. The defensive players I would be good with are:

Barr OLB (UCLA)
    Mosley ILB (Alabama)
    Ford OLB (Auburn)
    Donald DT (Pittsburgh)
    Clinton-Dix S (Alabama)
    Pryor S (Louisville)

I'm saying it, WE DESPERATELY NEED ANOTHER CORNER!!!! Cro SINGLEHANDEDLY blew several games for us, he
    was a JOKE, weak corners NEGATE our top notch D-line, not to mention put the onus on our offense to score/keep
    us in the game after our corners get SHREDDED! Cro is our new Bart Scott/Ed Reed/washed up Rex's boy, I don't
    care if we sign him cheap and he's 100% healthy next season, he WON'T be any faster or able to tackle!! The draft's
    deepest (quality) depth is in WRs, a number of decent TEs, WE ARE TOAST if we get corner play like last year! Resigned
    Cro and Millner starting? Our D will leak like a sieve, every WR we play next year will lick their chops in anticipation,
    Rexy, get over it, Cro is DONE, and I don't care if we get Watkins and Ebron, our offense will NEVER be able to keep
    up/win a shootout caused by our (perhaps) LEAGUE WORST corner play!

The level of craziness I will have for any jet pick will all depend on who else is on board at the time. As for BPA, when using the draft simulator lately pretty consistently the best player on the board is CJ Mosley for me. Would people hollar any louder for a CB than they would an ILB?

Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    i don't agree that gilbert could be BPA at 18. even if he is trade down is better and add a pick. just restructure/resign cro. We can't keep drafting defense with such a pathetic offense. we need at least 2 WR, 1 TE drafted and still FA brought in at the WR position. possibly even a guard as well.

what happens in free agency will shape our board going into the draft.
    This, if BPA is gilbert or Denard @18, trade back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The level of craziness I will have for any jet pick will all depend on who else is on board at the time. As for BPA, when using the draft simulator lately pretty consistently the best player on the board is CJ Mosley for me. Would people hollar any louder for a CB than they would an ILB?
    ILB is still a need for this team despite Harris rebounding this year, he's still a bit slow and a liability in coverage. As for Demario Davis, I think he's one of the more overrated guys on the team. Doesn't play the run nearly as well as Harris despite having very good speed and is poor in coverage as well. Tired of pass-catching RBs shredding us. I'm for upgrading @ any position besides DE/CB at this point.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    ILB is like RB these days... unless you're Luke Kuechly, which Mosley does not possess that speed or coverage ability, then you're not a first rounder.

IMO