Thread: Jetsters off season plan

Jetsters off season plan

Cuts:
    Holmes
    Sanchez
    Cromarty (grabs to much/losing his athleticism & still wants too much $)

Resign:
    Howard
    Colon (depth/not a starter)
    Folk
    Douzable

Free Agents
    Alteran Verner (young upcoming CB that should have been franchised)
    Jeremy Maclin (not convinced he's resigning with Philly/Jersey is not far away)
    Graham TE ( Houston)
    * Idzik stops there & waits for the draft

Draft
    1- Ha Ha Clinton Dix drops- (Jets jump & finally get a 5 year safety)
    2- Brandon Cooks (Jets start to rebuild WR position)
    3- Jordan Tripp (Jets get the depth & a Swiss Army knife to get Harris off the field on 3rd downs)
    3- Allen Robinson (sure he had a so so combine but he was super productive & underrated)
    4- CJ (Tough guy TE that gives the Jets some power in the running game)
    5- Dri Archer (special teams ace & nifty 3rd down back & gadget maker
    BPA the rest of the way regardless of position/ versatile players that can contribute on special teams.
    Probably another LB, CB, RB, QB

After the draft, Idzik will bargain shop. Nicks not out of the Question if Healthy & pretty cheap
    Jones? & he will sign a bargain vet RB after free agency & the draft when teams make salary cap cuts.
    Jets will be one of the few teams out there with money & a need for a veteran back that becomes a late surprise cut.
    Last edited by jetster; 02-27-2014 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Cuts:
    Holmes
    Sanchez

Resign:
    Howard
    Folk
    Douzable

Free Agents
    Graham TE ( Houston)

Draft
    3- Jordan Tripp (Jets get the depth & a Swiss Army knife to get Harris off the field on 3rd downs)
    3- Allen Robinson (sure he had a so so combine but he was super productive & underrated)
    BPA the rest of the way regardless of position/ versatile players that can contribute on special teams.

After the draft, Idzik will bargain shop. Nicks not out of the Question if Healthy & pretty cheap
    Jones? & he will sign a bargain vet RB after free agency & the draft when teams make salary cap cuts.
    Jets will be one of the few teams out there with money & a need for a veteran back that becomes a late surprise cut.
    So, you want colon as depth but aren't signing another guard? Makes sense. Cooks isn't falling to the second round and Jones and nicks will have contracts well before the draft

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    The overall concept is pretty good Jetster, I like it. Here are my thoughts:

I like the concept of letting Cro leave and signing Verner except Verner is the best FA CB on the market and teams like the Raiders will be all over him. It's not out of the question to do it, I just think knowing Idzik it's less likely especially if you can get Cro back healthy on a much cheaper contract than you can get the best CB in FA. It would be a dream to get Maclin in this offense b/c he's a legit #1 and gives us the ability to draft any player with the #18th pick and come back in the 2nd round and gets a solid WR like Matthews or Cooks. Cooks to me is Steve Smith when he came out of college, small and gifted and will blow you away if you get past the height. So with that said I think if you go after Cooks and you have Maclin you have some height limitations in the redzone which is why instead of drafting Ha-Ha I would draft Ebron or ASJ instead. Why? Because it would give us a middle of the field and redzone threat that we haven't had in years. If you pair a player like Ebron with Maclin and Cooks you have a legitimate pro caliber offense especially with our running game and defense.

Dri Archer won't make it to the 4th round let alone the 5th, I would change Tripp for Ward (S) and pick up Archer with our other 3rd rounder. If Robinson is there in the 4th I would jump on him, if not get Tripp who I like in our defense.

Great job bro.

Cuts:
    Holmes
    Sanchez

Resign:
    Howard
    Folk
    Douzable

Free Agents
    Graham TE ( Houston)

Draft

Jetster I love reading your posts...good job for the most part here with some blemishes IMO. I am not a big fan of Allen Robinson, he has freakish athletic abilities but his head is not in the game a lot and he drops too many passes. I would much rather draft a guy like Brandon Coleman here. You know how I feel about Archer great pick here hopefully he is there in the 5th.
    I also think we need to address the Guard spot...we let Colon and his injury history go as well as douzable and try to sign a decent guard like Jon Asomouah. Looks like Maclin will be signed and I would much rather get a guy like James Jones who is a reliable veteran to have opposite a younng rookie WR like Cooks.

Otherwise Great job man!

Jets Insider VIP
    So who's starting at RG if you're re-signing Colon strictly for depth?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So who's starting at RG if you're re-signing Colon strictly for depth?
    Agreed. I mentioned on my post that they need to get a guard in free agency and/or address it in the draft. The guard situation is shaky to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Agreed. I mentioned on my post that they need to get a guard in free agency and/or address it in the draft. The guard situation is shaky to say the least.
    They drafted guys last year, Campbell or Aboushi, and they signed another guy that I forget his name?
    How about 1 of those three?

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    So, you want colon as depth but aren't signing another guard? Makes sense. Cooks isn't falling to the second round and Jones and nicks will have contracts well before the draft

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    The overall concept is pretty good Jetster, I like it. Here are my thoughts:

I like the concept of letting Cro leave and signing Verner except Verner is the best FA CB on the market and teams like the Raiders will be all over him. It's not out of the question to do it, I just think knowing Idzik it's less likely especially if you can get Cro back healthy on a much cheaper contract than you can get the best CB in FA. It would be a dream to get Maclin in this offense b/c he's a legit #1 and gives us the ability to draft any player with the #18th pick and come back in the 2nd round and gets a solid WR like Matthews or Cooks. Cooks to me is Steve Smith when he came out of college, small and gifted and will blow you away if you get past the height. So with that said I think if you go after Cooks and you have Maclin you have some height limitations in the redzone which is why instead of drafting Ha-Ha I would draft Ebron or ASJ instead. Why? Because it would give us a middle of the field and redzone threat that we haven't had in years. If you pair a player like Ebron with Maclin and Cooks you have a legitimate pro caliber offense especially with our running game and defense.

Dri Archer won't make it to the 4th round let alone the 5th, I would change Tripp for Ward (S) and pick up Archer with our other 3rd rounder. If Robinson is there in the 4th I would jump on him, if not get Tripp who I like in our defense.

Great job bro.
    I hear you about Ward, I just can't believe that Idzik would ignore our problems at safety (he oked bringing in a clearly fading Reed)
    We have arguably the best young Dline in football & the lowest TOs?
    Makes no sense. We are gonna get the WRs we need to slide up into an average offensive team next year, but a truly kickazz safety combo could produce the TOs that puts that same offense in great field positions. What are we going to spend our money on?
    I'm not a fan of paying WRs too much, especially since this coming draft is loaded with them.
    I'd rather spend money on taking this defense to the next level, top 5 level!

They drafted guys last year, Campbell or Aboushi, and they signed another guy that I forget his name?
    How about 1 of those three?
    Yeah I guess we will see but I am skeptical. Aboushi looked confused out there last year during preseason and Campbell seems to be a project that has a ways to go. Its conceivable that he becomes our next Brandon Moore but I wouldnt bet on it.

Well...so much for Maclin, he must really love Philly. I mean how many free agents dont test the open market? I guess he wants his 1 year tryout with an offense that can show off his skills.
    So back to the drawing board.
    Looks like Emanuel Sanders, Edelman, Jones, Nicks, Britt, Rice?
    Edelman pretty much plays the slot & we have Kerley. Jones is old, Nicks sucked last year, Rice was injured, ugh. Not a lot to choose from. I have to say out of that bunch I like Sanders.

Well...so much for Maclin, he must really love Philly. I mean how many free agents dont test the open market? I guess he wants his 1 year tryout with an offense that can show off his skills.
    Edelman pretty much plays the slot & we have Kerley. Jones is old, Nicks sucked last year, Rice was injured, ugh. Not a lot to choose from. I have to say out of that bunch I like Sanders.
    Eh 30 years old is not old it's more like In the prime for James jones who would be the ideal veteran pickup opposite the young guy they intend to draft. Jones catches everything thrown to him and he can also be a red zone threat. I actually thought he'd be a better option than Maclin.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Eh 30 years old is not old it's more like In the prime for James jones who would be the ideal veteran pickup opposite the young guy they intend to draft. Jones catches everything thrown to him and he can also be a red zone threat. I actually thought he'd be a better option than Maclin.
    Hey, for all we know Maclins agent could have called Idzik to gauge interest & the answer from the Jets was "not interested".
    Very rare to see a player not test free agency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Emmanuel Sanders is definitely my first choice.

After him, I'd probably have Andre Roberts second in line. sec101 brought him up the other day. Didn't realize he was a FA. Makes a lot of sense now that Rod Graves is the assistant GM (he drafted Roberts in Arizona).

I really wanted James Jones...4 years ago when we opted to bring in Burress instead. I'm just not too keen on signing him at this point.

Nicks I want absolutely nothing to do with. Supposedly he's looking for #1 receiver money despite his lackluster, injury prone play the past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Emmanuel Sanders is definitely my first choice.

After him, I'd probably have Andre Roberts second in line. sec101 brought him up the other day. Didn't realize he was a FA. Makes a lot of sense now that Rod Graves is the assistant GM (he drafted Roberts in Arizona).

I really wanted James Jones...4 years ago when we opted to bring in Burress instead. I'm just not too keen on signing him at this point.

Nicks I want absolutely nothing to do with. Supposedly he's looking for #1 receiver money despite his lackluster, injury prone play the past 2 years.
    I'm convinced that Idzik won't overpay for receivers. Decker, forget it & Geno just isn't good enough yet to get everything out of someone like Decker.
    We can make a killing in this draft with the receivers available. I also don't want cheaper guys because they were hurt, maybe Maclin resigning with Philly was one of those "not getting what you want can be a stroke of luck" scenarios.
    Picture will get much clearer after March 11th.
    If we bring in a bunch of young wideouts, I hope our wide receiver coach Sanjay Lal
    is competent enough to groom them, he hasn't impressed me so far.