As you can see they are not the normal LB size but they both
    have great speed (4.4-4.5) and showed incredible movement skills
    at the Combine. If you added either one of them to Demario Davis
    you could have two LB's on the field that could cover a slot WR,
    a RB or a TE. And with the size and strength of our DLine maybe
    their lack of size wouldn't be a factor

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I like the idea of taking one these smaller speedy LBs in the later rounds. Maybe they can actually catch one of these little offensive players that always seem to burn us.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    And I've been wondering if Rex could incorporate them into our
    defense. They are:

Telvin Smith (6-3 220) Florida St
    Kevin Pierre-Louis (6-0 230) Boston College

As you can see they are not the normal LB size but they both
    have great speed (4.4-4.5) and showed incredible movement skills
    at the Combine. If you added either one of them to Demario Davis
    you could have two LB's on the field that could cover a slot WR,
    a RB or a TE. And with the size and strength of our DLine maybe
    their lack of size wouldn't be a factor
    Few thoughts on this and I think is a great point/thread.

1. We also need to add Denicos Allen to this list (5'10 225, LB Michigan State). He was actually a combine snub, but played both inside and outside LB at MSU, which was a tough defense. When he played outside he was an excellent blitzer and I think even had 10 sacks as a soph. A guy who can really run and who I think would be great on special teams.

2. I went to BC and followed Pierre-Louis a lot. His first 3 years our defense was schemetically atrocious. Bend but dont break to the maximum degree, so he was never really put in position to rush the passer, and frankly Keuchly made so many tackles, i think it hurt KPLs stats. That being said, he also can really run, and was effective as a pass rusher this year. I think he is a better player than his college stats show and would present a solid value in the 6th-7th round

Overall I think the smaller faster LBs are more and more important in the league and are something we dont have. Lavonte David and Alonso on the bills have been phenomal players and both were considered undersized. Looking at our team in particular, our Dline is HUGE and in my opinion, can protect a smaller, faster LB.

Any of these 3 guys could come in, play special teams, and hopefully develop into a possible starter in 2015 and allow us to let david harris (way to slow for today's nfl) go.

Hall Of Fame
    I think Telvin Smith is really light to be a LBer in the NFL. He is less than 220 pounds right now. Maybe a safety, but in a 3-4 defense he is a little undersized to play inside LBer. Even Alonso who is on the smaller size is 240 pounds. I don't know any starting LBers that are less than 220 pounds.

I predict Telvin Smith is going to be used/moved to Safety and play as a bigger more physical Safety in the mold of Kam Chancellor. I do like Telvin Smith but dont know if hes big enough to be an every down LB in the NFL. He may be better suited playing Safety and walk up LB

All League
    Perhaps when ya have Mo, Sheldon and DH up front, you can afford to be lighter and faster at LB.

They sound like safeties to me

Do these guys fit a 3-4 scheme?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Do these guys fit a 3-4 scheme?
    Pierre maybe at ILB, Smith no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Perhaps when ya have Mo, Sheldon and DH up front, you can afford to be lighter and faster at LB.
    Smith's dimensions look like a hybrid LB/safety. If he could put on 15 pounds (shouldn't be too hard with a good offseason of weights and proper nutrition) he'd be in a much better position to contribute. Lord knows we need impact players at the 2nd and 3rd level of our D.

Why look at Smith as a safety when Ha Ha Clinton Dix or Calvin Pryor will be staring us in the face at 18.
    We have way to good of a defensive line to have the weakness we have covering the field behind these monsters.
    There are up to 20 really good WRs & we will probably get 2 of them.
    I want Rex to finally have the speed he needs to narrow the throwing lanes that teams keep finding! I want another LB (Jordan Tripp), that gets off blocks & has the speed & agility to shut down those damn wheel routes that teams like the Pats use Vareen against us.
    I want 2 years of having an OLB that can make left & right tackles nervous enough to cause false starts, (if Ware gets cut Rex & Idzik should jump all over him!)
    The Dallas defense was horrific inside! Their Dline was the worst in football in 2013. I don't care how old Ware is, you put him & Barnes out there on the edge who do you block? Big Mo? Sheldon? Snacks? Ware? The blitzing MLB?, the Blitzing Safety?, corner blitz?
    It's not my 35 million! There really are no free agent WRs worth big dollars while Geno is still learning.
    Any big time edge rusher that gets cut needs to be on the Jets radar! Plus, these players aren't idiots, they would look at that young Jet Dline & say, "holy sh*t, I could dominate with that group!."