Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka

All Pro

Tanaka

So watched his 3 strike-out 2 inning spring training debut I gotta tell you he looks like advertised.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bad for a first outing. Two best things I took from that were the velocity on his fastball (94) and his splitter looked real good. No issues with the new ball for him.

I assume he will pitch the third game of the season right?

Time to buy tickets or any risk he might pitch 4th? My kids want to see him live and as a father who is not following baseball, I thought this thread is a good place to ask the question.

Jets Insider VIP
    FAT TOAD 2

Darvish and Tanaka are like on a different level than most Japanese pitchers. I think Tanaka will be very good.

Good news is I heard Pineda looked great, throwing the ball real easy and better than he did when he got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post

Time to buy tickets or any risk he might pitch 4th? My kids want to see him live and as a father who is not following baseball, I thought this thread is a good place to ask the question.
    since Kuroda and tanaka have a very similar style the thought is they may try and break them up by pitching nova 3rd and tanaka 4th. I'd wait to see how they open up the season before buying tickets.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not bad for a first outing. Two best things I took from that were the velocity on his fastball (94) and his splitter looked real good. No issues with the new ball for him.
    their should not be any issues i read somewhere that he used a major league ball all last year when he was doing his warm-ups and practicing because he knew he wanted to come to the mlb.

and that one pitch that sunk down and to the right against the lefthander for one of his strike-outs was the nastiest pitch i have seen since mo's cutter.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post

not sure alot of spring left never know with injuries and such

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    FAT TOAD 2
    link?

splitter looked good but its early...

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Darvish and Tanaka are like on a different level than most Japanese pitchers. I think Tanaka will be very good.

Good news is I heard Pineda looked great, throwing the ball real easy and better than he did when he got here.
    If these two pan out right away our rotation could end up looking very good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If these two pan out right away our rotation could end up looking very good.
    Rooting for the $22,000,000/year investment to pan out? Priceless.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Definitely encouraging as some of these guys who come from abroad seemed to have been measured with a metric system jugs gun. I'm thinking specifically about Contreras and Irabu, who were both billed as high 90s guys and ended up being more like low 90s guys. Plus Tanaka seems like more of a control guy anyway.

All Pro
    i bet tanka pitches more like smoltz than randy johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Agreed, but a few months ago the Yankees rotation and future rotations looked pretty damn bleak. If these two young starting pitchers pan out that changes in a big way. Either way, Yankees should have cleaned out in the minor leagues. Not sure why they didn't fire everyone involved in the draft, international scouting, and player development.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    i bet tanka pitches more like smoltz than randy johnson
    Take that in a heartbeat. Tanaka isn't known as a power pitcher he's more of a finesse guy who can touch 95mph when he needs to which is fine if you have the pitches.

Hall Of Fame
    Better than sucking for 5 years and waiting for a farm system that may or may not pan out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You are correct, the Yankees can't wait on that farm system. Bad collards there

You are correct, the Yankees can't wait on that farm system. Bad collards there

You must be as sore as Matt Harvey's elbow.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Take that in a heartbeat. Tanaka isn't known as a power pitcher he's more of a finesse guy who can touch 95mph when he needs to which is fine if you have the pitches.
    me to i want to keep the ball in the ball-park