Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanaka

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    You must be as sore as Matt Harvey's elbow.
    Haha. These Mets fans beating their chests about the farm system. Only reason they got some decent prospects is b.c they have sucked for a long time and their owners went broke and couldn't sign anybody so they didn't lose picks by signing FAs.

Is Sandy still playing chicken with Drew over a couple million? LOL. This is NY for crying out loud.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Haha. These Mets fans beating their chests about the farm system. Only reason they got some decent prospects is b.c they have sucked for a long time and their owners went broke and couldn't sign anybody so they didn't lose picks by signing FAs.

Is Sandy still playing chicken with Drew over a couple million? LOL. This is NY for crying out loud.
    Actually, they made some very shrewd trades also, which is propping up that farm system. I didn't expect you to know that, as you would have been having to follow baseball.

The pattern that the Mets are using right now is the same template they have used every time they have been successful-Build the system up with pitching, use excess pitching to trade for hitters when the team is ready to succeed.

Not sure Drew fits that criteria. Would rather see what the Mariners want for Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    Actually, they made some very shrewd trades also, which is propping up that farm system. I didn't expect you to know that, as you would have been having to follow baseball.

The pattern that the Mets are using right now is the same template they have used every time they have been successful-Build the system up with pitching, use excess pitching to trade for hitters when the team is ready to succeed.

Not sure Drew fits that criteria. Would rather see what the Mariners want for Franklin.

Yeah yeah we get it Mets = Tampa Bay Rays now. Tell Matt Harvey its ok to wave hello - oh wait he can't do that right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yeah yeah we get it Mets = Tampa Bay Rays now. Tell Matt Harvey its ok to wave hello - oh wait he can't do that right now.
    When did I ever say the Mets are the Rays?

I do know they won as many playoff series last year as the Yankees

Rather have my stud pitcher coming back from TJ surgery, than Shoulder surgery, like Pineda is.

PS-Harvey is throwing already.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    When did I ever say the Mets are the Rays?

I do know they won as many playoff series last year as the Yankees

Rather have my stud pitcher coming back from TJ surgery, than Shoulder surgery, like Pineda is.

PS-Harvey is throwing already.

Yeah cuz Pineda and Harvey are so comparable. Pineda is fighting with Phelps and Nuno for the 5th spot in the rotation. The Mets are banking on Noodle-Elbow Harvey to be the face of their entire franchise next 10 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yeah cuz Pineda and Harvey are so comparable. Pineda is fighting with Phelps and Nuno for the 5th spot in the rotation. The Mets are banking on Noodle-Elbow Harvey to be the face of their entire franchise next 10 years.
    And Tommy John is not that terrible an injury to come back from. Many pitchers come back stronger.

I am sure they would be just as happy to have Wheeler, Niese, Syndergaard be their ace. Ace is only a designation. They all make comparably the same starts.

You sure have to like what is coming up from that Yank system though.

Hall Of Fame
    Two words. Generation K.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    Killer B's
    Difference is our hopes and dreams weren't tied to them. The Yankees have ruined more young pitchers than most teams but somehow they survive.

Difference is our hopes and dreams weren't tied to them. The Yankees have ruined more young pitchers than most teams but somehow they survive.
    You don't think our piss poor player devleopment has impeded the Yankees the last 15 years or so? Any other team would be crippled with the Yankees track record in player development. Except maybe the Dodgers now.

Hall Of Fame
    You don't think our piss poor player devleopment has impeded the Yankees the last 15 years or so? Any other team would be crippled with the Yankees track record in player development. Except maybe the Dodgers now.
    You're right about any other team but the Yankees aren't any other team. They operate exactly how they need to. They don't have the luxury of sucking for a decade and drafting like the Rays. The beast must be fed and the cost of that is prospects.

Our player development hasn't been piss poor. I think our training and medical staff has been piss poor. Injuries are inevitable but when you look back at guys like Wang, Joba and Pineda you see how they were mismanaged. Wang had a foot injury that was allowed to manifest into a shoulder injury b.c he was overthrowing to make up for his inability to push with his legs. That is on the coaching and training staffs to notice. They absolutely destroyed Joba with the Joba Rules and they let Pineda throw with a hurt shoulder which is what led to his injury. I also think they never even gave him an MRI after trading for him.

Also, Torre greatest weakness was managing pitching, mainly young pitching and bullpen pitching. This is why they came up with the Joba Rules. Torre was luck to have a guy like Mariano in the bullpen b.c he saved his skin plenty of times.

All that said, Cano is a HoF player, Robertson has been one of the top set-up men in the sport since he came up and Gardner is a GG caliber outfielder. Austin Jackson has become a pretty good player and they traded him for Granderson who was a very good player for us. And I happen to think highly of Nova and his potential. When you consider how many trades they make and FAs they sign I think they have hit on some good players. The failing of the Killer Bs has hurt b.c at that time it looked like the Yanks were restocked with pitching.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You're right about any other team but the Yankees aren't any other team. They operate exactly how they need to. They don't have the luxury of sucking for a decade and drafting like the Rays. The beast must be fed and the cost of that is prospects.

Our player development hasn't been piss poor. I think our training and medical staff has been piss poor. Injuries are inevitable but when you look back at guys like Wang, Joba and Pineda you see how they were mismanaged. Wang had a foot injury that was allowed to manifest into a shoulder injury b.c he was overthrowing to make up for his inability to push with his legs. That is on the coaching and training staffs to notice. They absolutely destroyed Joba with the Joba Rules and they let Pineda throw with a hurt shoulder which is what led to his injury. I also think they never even gave him an MRI after trading for him.

Also, Torre greatest weakness was managing pitching, mainly young pitching and bullpen pitching. This is why they came up with the Joba Rules. Torre was luck to have a guy like Mariano in the bullpen b.c he saved his skin plenty of times.

All that said, Cano is a HoF player, Robertson has been one of the top set-up men in the sport since he came up and Gardner is a GG caliber outfielder. Austin Jackson has become a pretty good player and they traded him for Granderson who was a very good player for us. And I happen to think highly of Nova and his potential. When you consider how many trades they make and FAs they sign I think they have hit on some good players. The failing of the Killer Bs has hurt b.c at that time it looked like the Yanks were restocked with pitching.
    The Yankees-Ruining baseball players for decades

Jets Insider VIP
    Impeded them from what? Winning every single World Series in that time period?

In the last 15 seasons, they've won 9 division titles, 5 pennants and 3 championships.

Their player development is not stellar, but you're overblowing the issue with that. They don't exactly have the luxury of drafting high and often forfeit picks for free agents that were well worth it. There's definitely room for improvement, but let's not pretend the Yankees have had a rough stretch of baseball here in the past 2 decades. Try living through the 80's and telling me that.

All Pro
    Take that in a heartbeat. Tanaka isn't known as a power pitcher he's more of a finesse guy who can touch 95mph when he needs to which is fine if you have the pitches.
    +1

What young pitchers did the Yankees ruin? Kennedy was garbage in the AL and looked good for a while in the soft NL West. If anything Hughes actually overachieved for a couple years he was never that good to begin with. Wang had an unfortunate lis en franc injury that could have happened to anyone. Joba - please the guy got hot for half a season and the media blew him up like crazy. Joba went back to da pen and was straight up ass crack. The Killer B's just were never good to begin with. Yankees fans are almost as bad as Mets fans when it comes to overrating their pitching prospects.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What young pitchers did the Yankees ruin? Kennedy was garbage in the AL and looked good for a while in the soft NL West. If anything Hughes actually overachieved for a couple years he was never that good to begin with. Wang had an unfortunate lis en franc injury that could have happened to anyone. Joba - please the guy got hot for half a season and the media blew him up like crazy. Joba went back to da pen and was straight up ass crack. The Killer B's just were never good to begin with. Yankees fans are almost as bad as Mets fans when it comes to overrating their pitching prospects.
    Cause Bobby Mercer told him so

First off, Drew sucks for the money he's asking. That's why he's still available. Personally, I think he sucks for less than what he's asking.

Secondly, yes, the Mets have sucked for the last few years. You can maybe link that to drafting Matt Harvey. But Wheeler was a trade (Beltran) and so were Syndergaard and D'Arnaud (Dickey). You can argue they made those trades cause they sucked and were retooling, but try to be accurate. When Harvey, Wheeler, and Syndergaard are pitching to D'Arnaud the next few years, that's not because they were stockpiling draft picks due to lack of FA signings.

Good news for Pineda. APparently he looked really good tonight. Scouts say he looks healthy and has good command of his pitches and was throwing a nasty slider. Had 4 SO in 2 IP. HE was throwing 91-93 MPH, but with good control and movement. Pineda's first spring here he was struggling to hit 90, so its encouraging. Scouts were impressed with Pineda tonight.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...rc=desktop&wjb

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Good news for Pineda. APparently he looked really good tonight. Scouts say he looks healthy and has good command of his pitches and was throwing a nasty slider. Had 4 SO in 2 IP. HE was throwing 91-93 MPH, but with good control and movement. Pineda's first spring here he was struggling to hit 90, so its encouraging. Scouts were impressed with Pineda tonight.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...rc=desktop&wjb

glad to hear it I was pretty sure he would come back.....after pitching in seattle as a young guy who would not want the chance to be in pinstripes.

I think he has a chip and is ready to show the league why he was traded for. I don't envision him to be another pavano

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    or try being a fan of pretty much any MLB franchise.

Why a Yankee fan would want their team to change the SOP of acquiring talent is beyond me.