Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honor Student Suing Parents for not supporting her. What's your thoughts?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honor Student Suing Parents for not supporting her. What's your thoughts?

Reading this article, I'm not sure how I would handle it. She's a smart honor student yet a seeming entitled spoiled brat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1709440

New Jersey honor student sues parents for school fees after they cut her off at age 18

Rachel Canning, 18, claims her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, threw her out of their Lincoln Park, N.J., home last year and stopped paying for her private high school, where she excelled as a cheerleader and lacrosse player. But Sean Canning says Rachel left voluntarily after she refused to abide by simple rules of the house.

An 18-year-old New Jersey honor student and cheerleader has been tossed from her parents’ Lincoln Park home, but demands that her mother and father continue to pay her private high school and impending college costs — as well as her mounting lawyer fees, according to her lawsuit.
    Rachel Canning claims she’s been out of her parents’ home since her 18th birthday, Nov. 1, after her parents vowed to cut her off “from all support both financially and emotionally.”

But Sean and Elizabeth Canning say their “spoiled” college-bound daughter doesn’t live by their house rules and left the home because she didn’t like the law of the land — overseen by her father, a former Lincoln Park police chief.
    The Morris Catholic High School senior and lacrosse player instead has lived at the Rockaway, N.J., home of a classmate, whose father, John Inglesino, has foot the bill for the suit.

“My parents have rationalized their actions by blaming me for not following their rules,” Rachel said in her court papers, according to The Daily Record of Morristown, N.J. “They stopped paying my high school tuition to punish the school and me and have redirected my college fund, indicating their refusal to afford me an education as a punishment.”

Canning filed suit last week and is scheduled to appear with her attorney, Tanya Helfand, at 3 p.m. Tuesday in Morristown Family Court.
    The teen will demand her parents pay a Morris Catholic tuition bill of $5,306 as well as $12,597 in accrued legal fees.

And the accomplished student, who has been accepted to several colleges, wants her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, to pay her secondary schooling costs.
    The unique suit could stand a chance because of a New Jersey court decision that found young adults can be dependent on their parents beyond their 18th birthday, long considered the age a person is legally an independent adult.
    “A child’s admittance and attendance at college will overcome the rebuttable presumption that a child may be emancipated at age 18,” the decision found, The Daily Record reported.

Rather, it comes down to “a face-sensitive analysis that looks at whether the child has moved beyond the sphere of influence and responsibility exercised by a parent and has obtained an independent status of his or her own,” Helfand, the teen’s attorney, writes in her court papers.
    Further complicating the matter is Rachel Canning’s allegation of domestic abuse last October and a teacher who witnessed the teen and her mother engaged in a rough conversation that ended in a nasty way.

But Sean Canning, furious that the family feud has reached the courts, claims a Division of Child Protection and Permanency representative visited the family home and found Rachel was a “spoiled” and petulant child and ended the investigation, The Daily Record reported.

Sean Canning says the athletic, brainy teen refused to follow the rules of his home, like being respectful, doing chores, coming home by curfew and breaking off a relationship with a boyfriend the parents dislike.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife. We have a child we want home,” Sean Canning told the newspaper. “We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’”

Before the bizarre family fued went public, Canning took to Facebook to explain how not only is his baby girl a brat, but she's a liar, as well.
    "Although we do not owe anyone an explanation, we did want you all to know that the allegations that Rachel has claimed – amongst which include our abandoning her, as well as emotional and physical abuse – simply never happened," he wrote last Saturday.

Canning insisted that his conniving child would be welcome back in the family home whenever she ceases the legal temper tantrum.
    "Rachel has and will always have a place in our home. Deep down she knows that," he wrote.

The family, in court documents, instead contends Rachel Canning “emancipated” herself from her parents by voluntarily moving out, thus freeing the parents from the responsibility of paying her bills.

“We’re heartbroken, but what do you do when a child says ‘I don’t want your rules but I want everything under the sun and you to pay for it?’” Canning told The Daily Record.

sgoldstein@nydailynews.com or follow on Twitter

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shes 18? My thoughts:

And whats up with this Ahole:

The Morris Catholic High School senior and lacrosse player instead has lived at the Rockaway, N.J., home of a classmate, whose father, John Inglesino, has foot the bill for the suit.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wtf is the world coming to, this chick must have a couple of bronze balls on her. How could she possibly win this lawsuit?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a brat, but the parents aren't blame-free either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    What dey doing wrong?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Reading this article, I'm not sure how I would handle it. She's a smart honor student yet a seeming entitled spoiled brat.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1709440

Sean Canning says the athletic, brainy teen refused to follow the rules of his home, like being respectful, doing chores, coming home by curfew and breaking off a relationship with a boyfriend the parents dislike.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife. We have a child we want home,” Sean Canning told the newspaper. “We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’”
    I think most teenagers can be a pain in the ass, and I really feel for this family considering the level this argument has now risen too, but I just can't help but think the crux of the matter lies in the boyfriend thing mentioned above.

Affairs of the heart between kids don't always make sense to adult minds. I remember a friend growing up had a ridiculous relationship that got him in trouble for years, legally and emotionally.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    What dey doing wrong?
    Raising a brat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is outrageous. If an 18 yr old wants out, then go out. Don't expect your parents to support you under that condition. Maybe the high school tuition to finish, but that is it.

That's friend's father is a real trouble maker. This is not a case of child abuse, he really should be minding his own business.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    This is outrageous. If an 18 yr old wants out, then go out. Don't expect your parents to support you under that condition. Maybe the high school tuition to finish, but that is it.

That's friend's father is a real trouble maker. This is not a case of child abuse, he really should be minding his own business.
    I would make her finish our high school in the public school system no law saying she has to be in private school.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When do you think she becomes a stripper?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Shes 18? My thoughts:

Yeah, very uneasy 'bout that dude interceding on her behalf. WOnder what his motives truly are...

If it was my kid, this guy had better be listening for footsteps coming up behind him

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post

Not alot of facts in this story about her upbringing but I'm gonna guess they were as guilty as the rest of us in spoiling their kids.

My son's a great kid, but I sometimes see evidence of him being spoiled and developing a sense of entitlement. You try to keep on top of it and keep an open dialogue about being blessed and having things others dont...then you hope for the best.

They glossed over the boyfriend thing, but methinks it looms larger in this story than the author indicated.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    When do you think she becomes a stripper?
    Possibly soon.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    Maybe the high school tuition to finish, but that is it.
    1343325611349_459952.jpg

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Green View Post
    I would make her finish our high school in the public school system no law saying she has to be in private school.
    Agreed. She's 18, legally an adult. I don't see how she wins this case. I agree with JT too -- you have to do some major coddling to raise a brat of this caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shes 18? My thoughts:

He hasn't. He has added his legal fees, over 12 grand, into the lawsuit. He's getting his piece of the pie too.

Thing is, even if they win, the parents will spend 20K fighting this moronic lawsuit.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Lol...here's her parents.

canning-lawsuit.jpg

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    She's a spoiled brat, and the lawsuit should not even be allowed.

Parents at fault for crappy parenting skills that caused said brat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....and me and have redirected my college fund
    I'd redirect that right into a new hot tub, a trip to the Islands and a new ****ing car.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol...here's her parents.

canning-lawsuit.jpg
    uh oh the guy probably posts here

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with parents. My daughter came home from college for a weekend (years ago), "something transpired" and I put her weekend bag on the curb, told her to call her friends from a pay phone as I took her phone (I paid for it). I said, go to the bursar at school and ask about loans because in our house, you do it our way or I stop paying. She screamed, left in a huff, 4 letter words the hole shooting match etc... she was back in 2 days and its been peaceful ever since.

Same with TATS. You want a TAT? Really. No problem. Thats an adult decision and you are 18. Ill drive you there. Just make sure you can pay for college because I pay for childrens college NOT adults. Both my daughters graduated top of their class, went to good schools and have great jobs. They both thank me for not allowing them to get a TAT. Nothing against TATS, but it was more a "line in the sand".