View Poll Results: The Grestest Band Ever

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beatles

    25 37.31%
  • The Rolling Stones

    5 7.46%
  • The Allman Brothers

    2 2.99%
  • Pink Floyd

    7 10.45%
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd

    2 2.99%
  • Led Zeppelin

    19 28.36%
  • The Who

    4 5.97%
  • U2

    2 2.99%
  • Queen

    1 1.49%
  • AC/DC

    0 0%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 248

Thread: The Greatest Band Ever

  1. #121
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,570
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #122
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    80's Metallica should be in the mix

    Cliff Burton was a goddamn beast


    Last edited by Untouchable; 03-05-2014 at 09:27 PM.

  3. #123
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    You rarely post completely wrong and clueless posts, so theres a first for everything
    You give me too mcuh credit, I post clueless things all the time.

    Have I mentioned I want the Jets to sign Schaub?

  4. #124
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remind me agin - how many times George Harrison ripped the roof off of MSG


    Like this guy


  5. #125
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Skynard blows so hard, Young owned them preemptively.
    never a mod in this or the next 5 lifetimes. pls autoban yourselfie post haste. grassyass.

  6. #126
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Remind me agin - how many times George Harrison ripped the roof off of MSG


    Like this guy


    ZEP is perhaps the greatest rock band , innovative and influenced many bands. But from Revolver, to the White Album, what the Beatles did was unfathomable.

  7. #127
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    always thought the Beatles were somewhat overrated. /shrug

  8. #128
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    always thought the Beatles were somewhat overrated. /shrug
    They were essentially the first boy band until they started getting stoned.

    I never got into them either.

    I respect the influence they had on rock and music as a whole, but most of their stuff is way too mellow and soft for me.

  9. #129
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lynyrd Skynyrd > Allman Brothers Band

    Better singer (Ronnie Van Zant > Greg Allman)
    Better songs (Skynyrd has a dozen famous hits, ABB has Midnight Rider (which I love, for the record) and a few meandering jams)
    Better guitar solos (Duane was a God, but a very shortlived one, Rossington/Collins/Gaines was he equal (3 vs. 1, true, but still)
    Better end (Epic plane crash death > slowly fading away into diehard-fan-only obscurity)

    Had Skynyrd not mostly died in the field, it wouldn't be close for "Greatest Southern Rock Band" today, everyone would say Skynyrd, their future (after Gaines joined and started writing) was that bright at that moment in time.

    Had Gaines lived......we might be talking about him today, and not SRV, for example. Gaines was SRV before SRV.
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!!!!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean.....DUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #130
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!!!!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean.....DUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!
    I stand by it.

    I like both bands, have all the studio albums and many live releases and a few bootlegs of both original-era bands (not the later/modern day touring nostalgia acts), and I stand by it, there is no comaprison IMO.

    As stated tho, music = subjective.

    Someone in this very forum is a HUGE Madonna Fan, and they just won't admit it for fear of the mocking that would ensue.

  11. #131
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lynyrd Skynyrd > Allman Brothers Band

    Better singer (Ronnie Van Zant > Greg Allman)
    Better songs (Skynyrd has a dozen famous hits, ABB has Midnight Rider (which I love, for the record) and a few meandering jams)
    Better guitar solos (Duane was a God, but a very shortlived one, Rossington/Collins/Gaines was he equal (3 vs. 1, true, but still)
    Better end (Epic plane crash death > slowly fading away into diehard-fan-only obscurity)

    Had Skynyrd not mostly died in the field, it wouldn't be close for "Greatest Southern Rock Band" today, everyone would say Skynyrd, their future (after Gaines joined and started writing) was that bright at that moment in time.

    Had Gaines lived......we might be talking about him today, and not SRV, for example. Gaines was SRV before SRV.
    It know this won't help the argument,,,,but I've always thought this.

  12. #132
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    re: the Skynyrd/ABB debate, obviously both favorites however imho very dissimilar groups, and the real reason they are compared is the fact that when Skynyrd released Freebird it was one of the longest jam recordings (aside from Light My Fire/Doors) on the radio. I think the jam factor drew the comparison more than anything else, as the ABB is much more than a southern rock band. There is nothing jazzy, for lack of a better word, in Skynyrd's music. they are straight southern rock.

  13. #133
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    It know this won't help the argument,,,,but I've always thought this.
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!!!!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean.....DUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

  14. #134
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    re: the Skynyrd/ABB debate, obviously both favorites however imho very dissimilar groups, and the real reason they are compared is the fact that when Skynyrd released Freebird it was one of the longest jam recordings (aside from Light My Fire/Doors) on the radio. I think the jam factor drew the comparison more than anything else, as the ABB is much more than a southern rock band. There is nothing jazzy, for lack of a better word, in Skynyrd's music. they are straight southern rock.
    Exactly. Skynyrd can rock a 5 note pentatonic scale till we're all blue in the face with excitement (some people dig that kinda thing) or boredom. I prefer bands who are capable of exploring the vast universe of musical space offered up to them. Maybe that's just my inner musician snob coming out, I don't know.

  15. #135
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Exactly. Skynyrd can rock a 5 note pentatonic scale till we're all blue in the face with excitement (some people dig that kinda thing) or boredom. I prefer bands who are capable of exploring the vast universe of musical space offered up to them. Maybe that's just my inner musician snob coming out, I don't know.
    same here, I play piano and can basically sight read any tune and begin playing immediately, Skynyrd's music is not nearly as challenging or musically interesting when I sit down and play.

  16. #136
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    same here, I play piano and can basically sight read any tune and begin playing immediately, Skynyrd's music is not nearly as challenging or musically interesting when I sit down and play.
    SNOB!! I bet you have real soft hands too ya bastard!




    lol J/K

  17. #137
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    same here, I play piano and can basically sight read any tune and begin playing immediately, Skynyrd's music is not nearly as challenging or musically interesting when I sit down and play.
    That something you do often, eh?

    Sit down.

    At the piano.

    And play Free Bird, solo?

    /rubs chin interestedly.

  18. #138
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    SNOB!! I bet you have real soft hands too ya bastard!




    lol J/K
    lol, unfortunately they cramp up on me like crazy these days

  19. #139
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    That something you do often, eh?

    Sit down.

    At the piano.

    And play Free Bird, solo?

    /rubs chin interestedly.
    I used to, the song bores me now. Tuesday's Gone is probably my favorite Skynyrd tune to play now, that and Curtis Lowe

  20. #140
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    lol, unfortunately they cramp up on me like crazy these days
    I've heard this helps:

    palmolive.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us