Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dennard might be the best pick for us at this point...

Was teh defense good last year? Was the offense good last year? Since there's depth at WR and CB this year wouldn't it be more prudent to try and help the D get better with a good O? Wouldn't it be better if we added talent on offense?

The depth reasoning goes both ways for WR and CB. Draft bpa WR in 1st, if bpa is a defensive player ok in teh 2nd, in the 3rd go back to offense.

How many years will offense be ignored? BPA will not be a defensive player at 18. So no dennard or gilbert or dix shouldn't be our pick at 18 but any of the best WR should be.

Talking Does Rex like Justin Gilbert..?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Dennard isnt 1st round talent IMO. Maybe he sneaks into the 1st I dont even think he is the best CB in this class. He with out a doubt doesnt fit Rex's views on CBs. Justin Gilbert would be the better fit in a man up Dennard will need to be in a zone. S, TE, G, or ILB in the 1st. HAHA or Pryor looking more likely after today. ILB looking very much a possibility now too IMO. C.J. Mosley could very well be BPA and Ryan Shazier has to be on our short list. We still have Milliner, Wilson, Walls, and Lankster. I would almost say TE is a lock but given out team history it is going to be hard for them to sell that.
    ...OK, I said in an earlier post that CB Justin Gilbert could be our pick if he's avail. at 18. He was given a super write up in Lindy's Draft magazine. Reasoning is that WR this year is very deep-- logically we could get a terrific WR in Round 2. Maybe Odell Beckham or Allen Robinson. Not sure what round Donte Montcrief will go in--- he is one of those sleepers whose not a sleeper anymore.

-- Lets see if Idzik is as smart as we all are.

All Pro
    There has been some talk that Jonathon Joseph could be had for a 2nd round pick. IF the Jets could offer say a 3rd and 4th, that might actually be a better way to go. The four pressing needs for the Jets are CB, WR, Safety, and TE. If we could go WR and TE with the first two picks, get Joseph, we would still have two 4's, a 5 and 3 6's to deal with the Safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    totally agree..be surprised if he is still there at 18...not at all shocked if he goes top 10
    I'll be very happy if he goes top 10, better plays fall to us.

Rookie
    BPA,
    I could see us going CB in the 1st if value is there at 18 and WR in the 2nd since it's a deep class

i'm perfectly fine with Dennard, but i refuse to believe that WR isn't still a pressing need. even if Decker is a true #1, where's our #2? why not have two legit #1's?

at this point i'd still say WR is a bigger need than CB. you can mask negligence at CB. it's a lot harder to do that on offense, where it's really best to have as many weapons as possible. Cro was miserable last year but it didn't really lose us many games. how many games did we lose for not being able to put points on the board? Decker will help, but he needs help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    i'm perfectly fine with Dennard, but i refuse to believe that WR isn't still a pressing need. even if Decker is a true #1, where's our #2? why not have two legit #1's?

at this point i'd still say WR is a bigger need than CB. you can mask negligence at CB. it's a lot harder to do that on offense, where it's really best to have as many weapons as possible. Cro was miserable last year but it didn't really lose us many games. how many games did we lose for not being able to put points on the board? Decker will help, but he needs help too.
    just b/c rex loves cbs it doesn't mean they have to keep drafting them in the first round. idzik was not in a strong position to fix the offense in last year's draft but he is this year. i think woody is tired of hearing how the jets have the worst skill positions in the league and i'd wager idzik knows this as he got decker. there are cbs that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (not to mention any steals in later rounds), and this is a rather unusual opportunity to transform an offense given the talent in the draft and the picks the jets have.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    There has been some talk that Jonathon Joseph could be had for a 2nd round pick. IF the Jets could offer say a 3rd and 4th, that might actually be a better way to go. The four pressing needs for the Jets are CB, WR, Safety, and TE. If we could go WR and TE with the first two picks, get Joseph, we would still have two 4's, a 5 and 3 6's to deal with the Safety issue.
    The S issue concerns me well more then the CB issue. I think the reason the coaching staff felt good cutting Cro outright was because they where impressed by Walls and already picked up Patterson as a backup plan. Milliner looked very good at the end of last year and we still have Wilson who is a OK CB. I also liked Ras-I Dowling coming out of the draft. He actually looked better then any of the guys I see this year. Maybe Rex can get something out of him. That is actually more then you see on most teams. It it certainly better then what Balt or Pitts put out there last year. Most of the passing yards we give up are a few yards off the line because we dont have Ss or LBs that can cover the 10 yard buffer up front.

ITT dude who watched a few highlights thinks he knows what he's talking about...

I'm not going to argue taking a CB is the right move, we don't know what the board will look like. But I watched every game the kid played. He's 100% worth the first round grade and attention he's getting. He was a monster in college.

All League
    Best Defense player in the conference last year. No queston a first rounder, and no questiona Man scheme fit. I won't be surprised one bit if he's gone before us, or he's a player targeted for a trade up in the 10-14 range.

As far as the Jets, if he fell to 18, depending on how the rest of FA played out, I wouldn't not be dead set against it, but some of the WR's and Ebron would all have to be gone. With the signing of Patterson though, I think it's unlikely.