Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Decker **merged post signing discussion**

Hall Of Fame
    What we really need to attack them is a legit TE and a RB that can catch balls out of the backfield. The biggest mismatches will be in the middle of the field.

I haven't seen any draft profile footage of O'Dell's. I should watch more college ball, lol.

Tapping while talking

I don't think its worth basing your team on specifically beating the pats, especially when revis will only be there for 1 year. In honesty I think you just take the best players and understand that Brady will retire in a couple years or start to decline. By that time we should be pretty good if we build properly since the jets are a young team and were fixing the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
    From my standpoint, how can you possibly question bringing in Decker. Absolutely best choice out there and we got him. Keep building this way and we'll have a winner. Great pick up no question. Love the guy
    He was the least risky pick at the WR position. The jets now have solid #2 and #3 receivers. When your building a team, the draft is where you get your potential stars, FA is for holes and this signing fills a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He was the least risky pick at the WR position. The jets now have solid #2 and #3 receivers. When your building a team, the draft is where you get your potential stars, FA is for holes and this signing fills a big one.
    How do u feel about Revis ??? Oh right ... He's not a star.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman1 View Post
    Edelman can't hold Kerly's jock....if Kerley had Brady throwing to him last year his numbers would have been huge!!!He's always open...but doesn't always get the ball because he was playing with a rookie.Peddle your crap elsewhere Patsie.....
    Kerley is not always open and he is very comparable to Endlemen, Endlemen may even be faster and he is a upper level Punt returner. Kerley is good but he benefits from being the best pro of a bad lot. By that logic of Brady making Endlemen what do you see with the Decker/Smith combo doing to Decker's last years performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    How do u feel about Revis ??? Oh right ... He's not a star.
    The pats are not building a team, they have a playoff team already and need to take one more step.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Ok, the Patriots are building a physical secondary with the signing of Revis & Browner.
    This makes me realize that now we need to get really fast at WR.
    We've all seen the wide receivers that have the most success vs Revis, smaller really quick or fast WRs.
    His toughest matchups in the AFC east were Stevie Johnson & Welker if he got matched up with him.
    Idzik going to see Texas Techs Amaro hints that the Jets are REALLY going on the offensive.
    With the 6'-3" physical Decker on board we need to get a couple more strong speedsters.
    Now more than ever either Cooks or Beckham should be the pick @ 18 & hopefully Idzik is thinking of moving back up into the bottom of the 1st to grab a TE like Amaro.
    We need as many "hands" guys as we can get.
    Decker & Kerley are very good pass catchers. Amaro is a pass catching TE with really good size.
    Cooks & OB were incredible catching in the gauntlet during the combine & although short are very strong & tough (Steve Smith like), the type of guys that Browner can't stay with & who's quick cutting ability forces Belichick to try to use Revis on.
    It's about time that the Jets put an offense on the field that forces BB to adjust to MM! You put Decker-Kerley-Cooks/OB- Amaro out there it's like night & day compared to last year.
    Add MJD as a 3rd down back with that group & you have a much better group in 2014 than you had in the AFCCG.
    In Idzik we trust.
    I agree with your offensive philosophy but in regards to playing the Pats I see a more ground and pound approach and keeping Tommy off the field. My point is I don't think the Jets will be building their team according to what the Pats do. The Jets are building a team that will jump to the top of the AFC right at the time Brady and Manning call it quits and imo that time is not far away thank God! The future is bright my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I agree with your offensive philosophy but in regards to playing the Pats I see a more ground and pound approach and keeping Tommy off the field. My point is I don't think the Jets will be building their team according to what the Pats do. The Jets are building a team that will jump to the top of the AFC right at the time Brady and Manning call it quits and imo that time is not far away thank God! The future is bright my friends!
    This. Great post. Some forget that Seattle was 7-9 in 2011. Stay the course. NE and Denver are loading up for next year. One of them, if not both, will not be in the SB. Not sure either can match up with some of the elite NFC teams. Having said that, what NE has done the past fw days is affirmation on thier part that Tammy's clock is reaching 11:59 pm soon. The Jets need to be in position to become an elite AFC team and take hold of the division by 2016, if not sooner.

By the way, no more smurfs. Jets need to draft big physical wrs who are playmakers. A wr who makes your QB look better than he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Oh, I agree that the philosophy has always been pound them physically but in the past when we got behind if our defense didn't bail us out we ended up in blowoutville.
    Allens pick 6 was the turning point last year.
    We need to be multiple on offense. If we get a lead we still need to have the players to smoke BB if he starts getting nosy at the line of scrimmage, Cooks or OB, maybe even Hill now that the pressure will be off of him asked to be a #1 which we all know he's not.
    I would like to see a combination of players in this draft, ie. Ebron & Cooks, or Amaro & Beckham, but I definitely want a young TE & WR out of this draft, even if Idzik moves back into the 1st round to do it! Obviously money is no issue as we are still 30 million under the cap after most of the big name free agents are gone.
    I'd love to see us either take CJ or Duncan later in the draft to give us that tough blocking TE that we don't have. Being multiple on offense puts us in a position to go to ground & pound with a lead, ( hope we have Ivory + MJD), now you could go 2 TEs, one blocker CJ or Duncan, one pass catcher, Amaro or Ebron, plus you could actually use Hill, as he's a very good blocker & can get open if you press too close. ( still holding out hope for Hill as a spot receiver in certain formations & game plans).
    Plus, if you get behind now vs the Pats by 2 scores you can also open it up with an Ebron or Amaro + Decker/Kerley/Cooks or OB,Hill or Nelson.
    That's a nice mix of players, with speed, size, quickness, it's a lot of offense! Possession receivers, deep threats Hill, quickness and speed in Kerley/Cooks or OB, add someone like MJD who can catch & more importantly BLOCK for Geno, you would be able to stay in games when behind or slow games down with a lead.
    I honestly think this is what Rex/MM/Idzik will try to build with this offense & that is why Idzik went to Texas Tech & we are rumored to be interested in MJD.
    Last edited by jetster; 03-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Happy Birthday, Eric!

The NFL.com article on Decker being a poor fit for the jets is stupid. They say he was the 3rd option for the Broncos offense, which is completely false. He was clearly the 2nd option for the past 3 years in Denver, with Demaryius Thomas being the #1.

He had the 2nd most targets on the team the past 2 seasons.

Kerley is not always open and he is very comparable to Endlemen, Endlemen may even be faster and he is a upper level Punt returner. Kerley is good but he benefits from being the best pro of a bad lot. By that logic of Brady making Endlemen what do you see with the Decker/Smith combo doing to Decker's last years performance?
    NICE! You don't even know your own best receiver from last year's name! And I KNOW you were saying how he's better than Welker.
    Absolutely typical pasts* fan
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 03-15-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The NFL.com article on Decker being a poor fit for the jets is stupid. They say he was the 3rd option for the Broncos offense, which is completely false. He was clearly the 2nd option for the past 3 years in Denver, with Demaryius Thomas being the #1.

He had the 2nd most targets on the team the past 2 seasons.
    Jet fans all want to believe that he was the second option. Except virtually EVERY analyst says otherwise. He is what he is. Good signing but we'll need two better receivers to truly have a quality offense.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Jet fans all want to believe that he was the second option. Except virtually EVERY analyst says otherwise. He is what he is. Good signing but we'll need two better receivers to truly have a quality offense.
    Who was the 2nd option then? Analyst are often dumb. I've heard them say Julius Thomas was the 2nd option, when he wasn't. First off Thomas just broke out, secondly he had only 788 yards last season. Welker was the 3rd option. 1-D.Thomas, 2.Eric Decker 3.Wes Welker 4.Julius Thomas.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    NICE! You don't even know your own best receiver from last year's name! And I KNOW you were saying how he's better than Welker.
    Ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I rather have Endlemen than Welker. Welker is at the end of the road. and had two more concussions last year. And I know his name, I misspell it, do you understand the difference?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Happy Birthday, Eric!
    Extra points for Decker...same birthdays

All Pro
    I rather have Endlemen than Welker. Welker is at the end of the road. and had two more concussions last year. And I know his name, I misspell it, do you understand the difference?
    Don't you mean Walker? Or is it Wilkerson?

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Who was the 2nd option then? Analyst are often dumb. I've heard them say Julius Thomas was the 2nd option, when he wasn't. First off Thomas just broke out, secondly he had only 788 yards last season. Welker was the 3rd option. 1-D.Thomas, 2.Eric Decker 3.Wes Welker 4.Julius Thomas.

Welker was the second option...he averaged slightly more targets and receptions per game. And was often a larger focus from opposing Defenses.

Decker was still better than the vast majority of #2 WR's in the NFL tho....and will be a great #2 here, if we find a long term #1 in the draft.