Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Trade up for Watkins?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,275

    Trade up for Watkins?

    We are all figuring out Idzik's MO now. He's not gonna overpay in Fa ,and I don't see him trading a kings ransom to move up. If it was your call and Sammy Watkins fell out of the top 5(could happen if people snatch up QB's) would you try to trade up?

    Rex, Idzik and co were "blown away" by Watkins pro day. Just want to know what some of you draft nuts think because I am not that well versed in this area as some of you are. Don't watch as much College Football as I do the pros but the little bit of Clemson I saw this year he made me a believer.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    We are all figuring out Idzik's MO now. He's not gonna overpay in Fa ,and I don't see him trading a kings ransom to move up. If it was your call and Sammy Watkins fell out of the top 5(could happen if people snatch up QB's) would you try to trade up?

    Rex, Idzik and co were "blown away" by Watkins pro day. Just want to know what some of you draft nuts think because I am not that well versed in this area as some of you are. Don't watch as much College Football as I do the pros but the little bit of Clemson I saw this year he made me a believer.
    From all reports, everyone was blown away by Watkins pro day.

    Moving up for him will come close to the ransom Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones. Flip #1's, next years #1, and probably a 3rd. The Jets are not one receiver away. You want to mortgage a future in the middle of a rebuild for a guy yet to play a down in the nfl?

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749

    Trade up for Watkins?

    I would not be onboard with that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Go Jets!

  4. #4
    In no way shape or form do i think trading up for Watkins is a good idea with the WR depth in this drat. I did hear on a local talk radio that the Jets could possibly trade up with clevland offering players and picks, which was laughable to me given it was a Miami AM station. I do think there is some smoke and mirrors going on with the WR position with the clemson pro day and the 2 meetings with LEE, i think the Jets dont want to get blindsided like they did with Tavaon Austin, if indeed it was their true intentions to draft him.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    From all reports, everyone was blown away by Watkins pro day.

    Moving up for him will come close to the ransom Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones. Flip #1's, next years #1, and probably a 3rd. The Jets are not one receiver away. You want to mortgage a future in the middle of a rebuild for a guy yet to play a down in the nfl?
    Yeah someone present at the pro day said "It's the best pro day for a WR in 10 years" or something to that effect.

  6. #6
    idzik isn't burning picks in a deep draft when he has lots of positions to upgrade. use last year's draft as a guide, 2 defensive players in the first when everyone knew the jets were weak on o, and still got probably the best qb in the draft in the 2nd without trading up.

    we're all so used to tanny's style we're simply not accustomed to the measured, patient approach. this is the same guy who dealt revis and then wouldn't take him back. we will not be in cap hell, we will not have a draft with only 4 picks, we will not overpay for free agents, we will not compromise the quality of the locker room to bring in a guy like holmes.

  7. #7
    No, there is not one player in this draft that I would trade up high for and that includes clowney.

  8. #8
    MY MAN!


    There's I believe certain players that we could put in a package to move up to lessen the amount of picks we ship out.
    Those players being:
    Kenrick Ellis
    Stephen Hill
    Kyle Wilson

    I think if the Bucs sign Emmanuel Saunders, then Sammy Watkins slide down to that #8 spot of the Vikings.
    I think an offer of: Our 1st, 3rd, 4th, Kendrick Ellis, Kyle Wilson & Stephen Hill could get us there. Maybe a 4th in 2015 also.

    I'll do it for many reasons:
    - We still keep our 2nd, have TB's 4th, two 5ths, four 6ths & a 7th.
    - We get our #1 WR who is very dynamic & instantly makes the Eric Decker signing better than what it is now. Makes Jeremy Kerley job easier as well.
    - We can sign Vince Wilfork (mostly out of spite) to fill Ellis' role for a season.
    - Can also just sign an available CB from FA & draft a CB in the 4th or 5th to fill in for Kyle Wilson, though I still believe Lankster & Walls will fill in for Wilson quite well.
    - Sammy Watkins fills in for Stephen Hill.

    I'm willing to sacrifice 2 picks/players who may or may not be good but most likely won't be as successful as Sammy Watkins.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    From all reports, everyone was blown away by Watkins pro day.

    Moving up for him will come close to the ransom Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones. Flip #1's, next years #1, and probably a 3rd. The Jets are not one receiver away. You want to mortgage a future in the middle of a rebuild for a guy yet to play a down in the nfl?
    Jets have plenty of cap room and there are alot of mid-level FAs left out there to fill the other holes. Today's NFL the two most important positions are QB and WR on offense. If you don't have a great qb you need great WRs to compensate. Decker, Watkins and Kerley is a scary good trio of WRs.

    Oh and trading up for Julio Jones worked out well for the Falcons.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets have plenty of cap room and there are alot of mid-level FAs left out there to fill the other holes. Today's NFL the two most important positions are QB and WR on offense. If you don't have a great qb you need great WRs to compensate. Decker, Watkins and Kerley is a scary good trio of WRs.

    Oh and trading up for Julio Jones worked out well for the Falcons.
    Right. The falcons also had a top QB and great d at that point. That was a move that got them into the NFCCG. Sammy Watkins puts us there too?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Right. The falcons also had a top QB and great d at that point. That was a move that got them into the NFCCG. Sammy Watkins puts us there too?
    Like I said, we still have plenty of cap room for mid-level FA's. Whatever crappy backup DB we're getting in rd 2 and slow WR at 18 isn't taking us to the Super Bowl.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Like I said, we still have plenty of cap room for mid-level FA's. Whatever crappy backup DB we're getting in rd 2 and slow WR at 18 isn't taking us to the Super Bowl.
    Oh ok. Nice. You really know your stuff.

    Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round--Must be why he is so crappy

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    It will cost too much. The guy might go in the top 5, maybe higher if he's as good as all of ya seem to think.

    Realistically - how much do you think that costs?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Oh ok. Nice. You really know your stuff.

    Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round--Must be why he is so crappy
    Hey and maybe we'll also get an all-pro qb in the 6th round too? Stop pulling it out of your ass - Geno is our QB the next two years at least he needs help.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Hey and maybe we'll also get an all-pro qb in the 6th round too? Stop pulling it out of your ass - Geno is our QB the next two years at least he needs help.
    Are you John Idzik? Did you give Geno a guaranteed deal? Using your brilliant argument, they should trade next years number one (because you say the later rounds are all garbage) to get a receiver for Geno? Hmm. I really hope you can get the Jet front office your resume asap

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Right. The falcons also had a top QB and great d at that point. That was a move that got them into the NFCCG. Sammy Watkins puts us there too?
    Getting Sammy Watkins would be exactly like the Falcons acquiring Julio Jones.

    We have our WR who isn't exactly a #1 but still put up productive #s in Eric Decker the same way they had Roddy White.
    We also have a young QB that produced way more than what was expected in Geno the same way Matt Ryan did for the Falcons.
    Eric Decker even said that MM & Rex really believes in Geno, so why not get that top WR like the Falcons did for their team?

    Our defense is better than the Falcons defense was also, so that's not a valid argument.
    Actually, our defense is better.

    People acting like we would be giving up the Kings Ransom.

    Plus, the only reason the Falcons were bad this past season was because the player they traded for got injured, which should tell you how important that player has been for them & how successful the trade was. Their holes is due to their GM not being good in Free Agency & not having a great defense like Rex always has.

    Just like detjetsfan stated. We still have a ton of cap space & a lot of mid tier FAs we can still sign for depth.
    Could open up even more money by releasing Sanchez.

    We're in great shape to add a building block like Sammy Watkins.
    The type of player to turn us into a good, young playoff team.

    We're not in a complete rebuild at 8-8, we can take this risk. As long as we're improving.
    No need to have SB expectation next season.
    We'll reap the benefits in the long run with this type of trade.

    Will still have our 2015 draft picks & even more cap space next season.
    Don't see the problem at all.

    We'll regret it if half our picks ain't sh*t either.
    Last edited by DowNY; 03-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

    Oh and trading up for Julio Jones worked out well for the Falcons.
    Are you being sarastic? The Jones trade was overall a loss for the Falcons. Their roster is horrible now - completely depleted and reliant on JAGs, as we witnessed ourselves in Week 4.

    If you define success as a trip to the NFC championship game which they lost in their own building, and then a long rebuild, have at it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Are you being sarastic? The Jones trade was overall a loss for the Falcons. Their roster is horrible now - completely depleted and reliant on JAGs, as we witnessed ourselves in Week 4.

    If you define success as a trip to the NFC championship game which they lost in their own building, and then a long rebuild, have at it.
    So that trade is the main reason they are depleted? Are you serious?
    It's that sole trade that ruined cap space & bad decisions in Free Agency & the downfall of a defense? Really?
    They've had numerous drafts to stay good, they just couldn't hit on any really good game changers.

    Julio Jones by himself would have gotten the Falcons at least 2 more wins last season if he wasn't injured.

    Based on Idzik/Rex approach, I doubt we end up in that same scenario if we traded up for Sammy Watkins. Highly doubt it.
    Look at the Falcons signings after that trade & their main players when that trade happened almost past their primes, whereas our players are just entering their prime.

    We're in a better situation.
    Last edited by DowNY; 03-14-2014 at 08:21 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    So that trade is the main reason they are depleted?

    Filler
    Yes.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Getting Sammy Watkins would be exactly like the Falcons acquiring Julio Jones.

    We have our WR who isn't exactly a #1 but still put up productive #s in Eric Decker the same way they had Roddy White.
    We also have a young QB that produced way more than what was expected in Geno the same way Matt Ryan did for the Falcons.
    Eric Decker even said that MM & Rex really believes in Geno, so why not get that top WR like the Falcons did for their team?

    Our defense is better than the Falcons defense was also, so that's not a valid argument.
    Actually, our defense is better.

    People acting like we would be giving up the Kings Ransom.

    Plus, the only reason the Falcons were bad this past season was because the player they traded for got injured, which should tell you how important that player has been for them & how successful the trade was. Their holes is due to their GM not being good in Free Agency & not having a great defense like Rex always has.

    Just like detjetsfan stated. We still have a ton of cap space & a lot of mid tier FAs we can still sign for depth.
    Could open up even more money by releasing Sanchez.

    We're in great shape to add a building block like Sammy Watkins.
    The type of player to turn us into a good, young playoff team.

    We're not in a complete rebuild at 8-8, we can take this risk. As long as we're improving.
    No need to have SB expectation next season.
    We'll reap the benefits in the long run with this type of trade.

    Will still have our 2015 draft picks & even more cap space next season.
    Don't see the problem at all.

    We'll regret it if half our picks ain't sh*t either.
    I think you are going to be severely disappointed when our draft comes around.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us