Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade up for Watkins?

All League
    I doubt the Rams Pass on Watkins @ 2. Pair Watkins w/ Tavon Austin. Bradford coming back and Zac Stacy emerging as a quality RB.

Sadly, his talents (much like Austin's) will be wasted w/ Schitty.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    I doubt the Rams Pass on Watkins @ 2. Pair Watkins w/ Tavon Austin. Bradford coming back and Zac Stacy emerging as a quality RB.

Sadly, his talents (much like Austin's) will be wasted w/ Schitty.
    Even with Saffold back, I think they have to be leaning OT (Robinson). But Watkins is definitely a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I think you are going to be severely disappointed when our draft comes around.
    Really won't be. Have no expectations on the draft. Just hope we draft a great WR playmaker this year & no continue to hold off on the position.
    I have no idea how to judge Idzik's strategy. But at the same time, you all shouldn't be able to judge it yet either.
    He's unpredictable & I'm staying open minded.

If he doesn't trade up for Watkins then he doesn't trade up for him. So what. There's plenty others we can get to help.
    Watkins is just someone I personally think fits perfect in our current situation.
    Feel like if we're building towards the future, this is essential.

We'll see. Call me crazy now & you can laugh all you want if we don't trade up. So be it. Won't change my stance or opinion on what I think would help us the most.
    If there's a 1% chance, then there's a chance.
    Especially if Watkins get to #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Yes.
    Explain. Breakdown the trade for me. Who were picked w/ the picks they traded?

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO

If Watkins fell to 8 which is a moon shot long shot, the minimum you'd be giving up would look something like this:

Mike Evans
    Austin Seafari-Jenkins
    Jimmy Garoppolo

for Watkins

When your team has more picks than it has had in years and years and this has been decalred the deepest draft in a long long time and your team is more than one player away from being a true contender you can't fall prey to the seducion of that one really good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If Watkins fell to 8 which is a moon shot long shot, the minimum you'd be giving up would look something like this:

Mike Evans
    Austin Seafari-Jenkins
    Jimmy Garoppolo

for Watkins

When your team has more picks than it has had in years and years and this has been decalred the deepest draft in a long long time and your team is more than one player away from being a true contender you can't fall prey to the seducion of that one really good player.
    Great post! The blueprint for building a good team for the long-haul(hopefully.)

All League
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 2m
    Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg attended WR Brandin Cooks pro day yesterday (Oregon State). #Jets have been "all over him," per source.

maybe MM sees his Desean Jackson here...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 2m
    Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg attended WR Brandin Cooks pro day yesterday (Oregon State). #Jets have been "all over him," per source.

maybe MM sees his Desean Jackson here...
    Maybe...or maybe he's blowing smoke at the media. With him, I really wouldn't even guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Maybe...or maybe he's blowing smoke at the media. With him, I really wouldn't even guess.
    jets were 'all over' marquis lee too. at this point i'd be surprised if the jets didn't wind up with either lee, cooks or beckham.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    jets were 'all over' marquis lee too. at this point i'd be surprised if the jets didn't wind up with either lee, cooks or beckham.
    Agree. The only potential difference is if Ebron is still available. If so, I think we'll go for him, then pick up a WR in the second!

Mike Evans
    Austin Seafari-Jenkins
    Jimmy Garoppolo

for Watkins

But Mike Evans won't be there at 18 & ASJ could end up being another injury prone JAG. While Garoppolo is far from a slam dunk guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    But Mike Evans won't be there at 18 & ASJ could end up being another injury prone JAG. While Garoppolo is far from a slam dunk guarantee.
    Evans has the same chance to be there as Watkins does of being there at 8. You are assuming that Watkins is going to for sure be a franchise guaranteed star and yet specualte that the other guys mentioned are going to have problems. You can't have it both ways. Hey I like Watkins, he's the best Wr no doubt in my books but there is tremendous value throughout this draft and there will be impact players in almost every year you can trade up for if you are close to being really good, this is simply not the year to do it if you ask me for the Jets.

Evans has the same chance to be there as Watkins does of being there at 8. You are assuming that Watkins is going to for sure be a franchise guaranteed star and yet specualte that the other guys mentioned are going to have problems. You can't have it both ways. Hey I like Watkins, he's the best Wr no doubt in my books but there is tremendous value throughout this draft and there will be impact players in almost every year you can trade up for if you are close to being really good, this is simply not the year to do it if you ask me for the Jets.
    I understand your stance Beerfish. I also respect a lot of your opinions here. I guess in this instance, we just have to agree to disagree.

All Pro
    I made this thread and I agree with you Beerfish. I made this thread because we never know how the draft board will fall until draft day but the argument to trade up for Watkins becomes intriguing if he's there at pick 8 or 9.....

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I made this thread and I agree with you Beerfish. I made this thread because we never know how the draft board will fall until draft day but the argument to trade up for Watkins becomes intriguing if he's there at pick 8 or 9.....
    He has a chance to slide to #8. That's as far as he gets though because the Bills will draft him at #9 if he's there & they won't trade the pick, especially to us.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    We are all figuring out Idzik's MO now. He's not gonna overpay in Fa ,and I don't see him trading a kings ransom to move up. If it was your call and Sammy Watkins fell out of the top 5(could happen if people snatch up QB's) would you try to trade up?

Rex, Idzik and co were "blown away" by Watkins pro day. Just want to know what some of you draft nuts think because I am not that well versed in this area as some of you are. Don't watch as much College Football as I do the pros but the little bit of Clemson I saw this year he made me a believer.
    Jmo I think the rams take him at Two.( so I think the option will be offf the board)

http://secondroundstats.com/?p=515

A great write up with interesting factoids.

Watkins vs Cooks? All things equal, I'd take Cooks. This is why whoever drafts Watkins is not getting value.

Evans is the top tier IMO. He has something you can't teach.. size. At 6'5, with 35" arm length, 37inch vertical and great hands/ball skills... He's into megatron territory, ridiculous catch radius, nearly uncoverable. He plays faster than his 40 time and he's still only 20 years old.

IMO Watkins, Cooks, Beckham Jr, Lee are all in the same tier after Evans.

With that said, I'd gladly give STL our 1st and 3rd for their #13 to take Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by requiem View Post
    http://secondroundstats.com/?p=515

A great write up with interesting factoids.

Watkins vs Cooks? All things equal, I'd take Cooks. This is why whoever drafts Watkins is not getting value.

Evans is the top tier IMO. He has something you can't teach.. size. At 6'5, with 35" arm length, 37inch vertical and great hands/ball skills... He's into megatron territory, ridiculous catch radius, nearly uncoverable. He plays faster than his 40 time and he's still only 20 years old.

IMO Watkins, Cooks, Beckham Jr, Lee are all in the same tier after Evans.

With that said, I'd gladly give STL our 1st and 3rd for their #13 to take Evans.
    Great read - i mentioned this in a different thread, the fact that people think watkins is a 100% can't miss, best WR in this class is ridiculous.

Cook really seems like he could contribute immediately in a lot of ways.