Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Air flight 370??????

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I feel like it would be hard to land and hide a boeing 777 somewhere without anyone noticing. Its not like its a Volkswagon bug or a cheap starter 3 series BMW.

+1. Whoever did it would need a generator.

Veteran
    I think it got sucked into the gates of Hell with Dickkotite's litter box and the rotten chicken over at that haunted school.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Pretty much only two reasons why a plane loses contact. Mechanical/electrical failure, or deliberately done. If it was mechanical/electrical, the plane probably would have smashed in to the ocean, and there would be debris everywhere to be seen. Unless it was electrical, and the pilot managed to ditch it without breaking up (ala Miracle on the Hudson), then it sunk in one piece leaving little to no debris on the surface.

If it was a deliberate act, then it doesn't make sense to me to fly the thing west to the Indian Ocean and ditch it there. Unless the hijacking went wrong, but then it would have smashed in to the surface and leave a debris trail. And to land it, you'd need a fairly large runway. This isn't some Piper Tomahawk that you could land on a beach in 73 feet.
    Terrorists, Hijackers, Pirates, whatever are not always that smart. For example, this very easily could have taken place:

Terrorists-"Fly plane to Pakistan now!!"
    Pilot-"We don not have enough fuel...."
    Terrorists-"I SAY FLY PLANE TO PAKISTAN NOW!"
    Pilot-"okie dokie then"

Plane ends up in Indian Ocean...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It's an odd story. None of the "facts" out there seem to add up yet.
    Pretty much only two reasons why a plane loses contact. Mechanical/electrical failure, or deliberately done. If it was mechanical/electrical, the plane probably would have smashed in to the ocean, and there would be debris everywhere to be seen. Unless it was electrical, and the pilot managed to ditch it without breaking up (ala Miracle on the Hudson), then it sunk in one piece leaving little to no debris on the surface.

If it was a deliberate act, then it doesn't make sense to me to fly the thing west to the Indian Ocean and ditch it there. Unless the hijacking went wrong, but then it would have smashed in to the surface and leave a debris trail. And to land it, you'd need a fairly large runway. This isn't some Piper Tomahawk that you could land on a beach in 73 feet.
    Agreed - nothing adds up based on what we've seen. I do a lot of work in the aviation industry and was having lunch today with a few aviation brokers and everyone in the industry is simply at a loss as to what happened. The available information simply doesn't make sense. If there was a catastrophic failure and it exploded, the wreckage would be where you'd expect it to be.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    What's left is in the ocean.
    There are transponders on the CVR's and FDR's (Black Boxes, that are actually orange) that ping for 30+ days, these are activated once they hit water and are pretty fail safe. Each box has one so there are multiple should one fail. There are other beacons on emergency equipment as well, life rafts/slides, that will activate as well when submerged. In such shallow depths these pings should be heard for miles. I am sure every sub is listening in for these pings. Very odd, I have been saying for days the plane is on land, but I could be wrong.

I have been in Aviation a pretty long time, 85-87 and again 95-2012, follow a lot of the stories and trends. Every water crash has revealed debris in 24-48hrs, even Air France that sank in the middle of no where in 24k + feet of water revealed debris almost right away, it took forever to find the plane.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Terrorists, Hijackers, Pirates, whatever are not always that smart. For example, this very easily could have taken place:

Terrorists-"Fly plane to Pakistan now!!"
    Pilot-"Hey, didn't I talk to you when I called Dell support?"
    Terrorists-"I SAY FLY PLANE TO PAKISTAN NOW!"
    Pilot-"Yeah, I'm sure it was you. You're name is..."
    Terrorist- (sighs and looks down) "Tim... Welcome to Dell. My name is Tim. Now I crash plane!"

Plane ends up in Indian Ocean...
    Could have gone like this too.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Could have gone like this too.
    Indeed, and probably more likely.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to crossfire again.

All League
    For those interested, a decent summary of what we know as of now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...iki-first.html

Hall Of Fame
    We are also assuming the Malays and Chinese are being honest. I wouldn't trust those people as fas as I could throw them.

That plane is getting weaponized somewhere.

All League
    If the pilots were in on it, could they disable the radar and transponder manually and disappear. And if so, how could other radar not pick them going to where ever they went??

All Pro
    Last edited by The Boston Patriot; 03-14-2014 at 08:50 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We are also assuming the Malays and Chinese are being honest. I wouldn't trust those people as fas as I could throw them.

That plane is getting weaponized somewhere.
    That's a frightening thought.

Hall Of Fame
    To me, i dont know what the big deal is. Its a plane, it could fail. It can be anywhere.

Human nature is funny. Everyone wants to make up some grandiose story involving radical terrorism or whatnot. Usually, the true answer is the simplest one. I dont even want to speculate but it can be a million things. I highly doubt, however, it had anything to do with the iranians with fake passports or ALI lol

Hall Of Fame
    Something logical happened. I dont know what but whem the truth comes out i suspect the final chapter will be quite anticlimatic

Hall Of Fame
    For those interested, a decent summary of what we know as of now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...iki-first.html
    Read a good chunk of that thread.
    In essence, they pretty much made clear that the plane flew for 4 hrs. At 500 mph, that 2000 miles. They also said there are tons of dead radar spots. Most only cover a 200 miles radius.
    Assuming that is accurate information then the plane could have flow way out over the ocean and went down anywhere. If you expect to find debris in the middle of nowhere,think again. Certainly, something will be found in the near future but not yesterday.

I dont know why the black box isnt working though....

Hall Of Fame
    NEWS
    SPORTS
    LIFE
    MONEY
    TECH
    TRAVEL
    OPINION
    WEATHER
    MORE

USER
    SEARCH

This story is part of
    MALAYSIA AIRLINES DISASTER
    Airliners have several ways to signal location, status Malaysia expects little tourism impact from missing jet Photos: Malaysia Airlines jet missing
    6 theories on what happened to Malaysia Flight 370
    Alia E. Dastagir, USA TODAY 8:08 p.m. EDT March 14, 2014

(Photo: AP)
    CONNECT
    TWEET
    COMMENT
    EMAIL
    MORE
    It's a mystery in a world with few mysteries anymore.

Theories about what happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 are rampant, though many are cobbled together with dubious clues or void of facts altogether. In the absence of concrete information on where the plane is, officials haven't ruled out any possibilities.

Here are some of the theories on what happened to the Beijing-bound flight that vanished early Saturday with 239 people aboard.

The plane kept flying

Several media outlets have reported U.S. officials as saying the flight sent signals to a satellite for four hours after the aircraft vanished, raising the possibility the jet could have flown far from the current search areas.

Catastrophic failure

One expert told USA TODAY the lack of warnings about a problem aboard the aircraft suggests a catastrophic failure. Steve Marks, a partner at Podhurst Orseck law firm in Miami who has represented relatives of victims in airline crashes, said the Boeing 777 should have been relaying reports of problems — if there were any. A lack of reports could mean a catastrophic failure, perhaps from the plane breaking up.

Mechanical failure

The plane's transponder, which identifies it to civilian radar systems and other nearby planes, stopped working about an hour into the flight. Experts say a massive failure knocking out its electrical systems, while unlikely, could explain the outage.

Pilot sabotage

Another possibility on why the transponder stopped working is because the pilot, or a passenger, likely one with some technical knowledge, switched them off in the hope of flying undetected. Supporting this theory was a report by ABC News that two U.S. officials say that two of the plane's communication systems shut down separately shortly after the plane last communicated its position. The data reporting system, the officials said, was shut down at 1:07 a.m. as the plane was on course an hour after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. But the transponder, which transmits location and altitude, shut down at 1:21 a.m.

Pilot error

Officials haven't ruled out pilot error, though information provided by Malaysia Airlines shows the crew in the cockpit were very experienced: The flight was piloted by Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah, 53, of Malaysia. He has 18,365 flying hours and joined the airlines in 1981. The first officer is listed as Fariq Abdul Hamid, 27, of Malaysia. He joined the airline in 2007 and has 2,763 total flight hours.

Terrorism

U.S. officials told USA TODAY over the weekend they were reviewing possible terror links. Terrorism theories were fueled by information that two Iranians who boarded the flight had stolen passports. Interpol Secretary-General Ronald Noble said neither man has a criminal record. The two had bought tickets to get to Europe, where they hoped to obtain asylum.

Contributing: Associated Press

All League
    My hypothesis, overall, is it crashed in the ocean. We just haven't looked in the right spot yet.

I think there was a mechanical/electrical failure accompanied by pilot incapacitation. Smoke in the cockpit, killed the pilots. Radio communications are sparse in that area of the world, so whomever was in the cockpit next started turning knobs on the radio to find anyone, which essentially cut off their communications, maybe managed to put on autopilot, which would fly to waypoints. A hopeless situation, maybe someone tried to hand fly it, hence the sudden changes in altitude reported. Basically an amateur pilot with no radio. Eventually fuel runs out, and kaput.

Honestly, something smashing in to the cockpit, like a bird strike at low altitude, seems plausible. Meteorite, maybe. Chances are probably 1 in 938,829,103,143, but that could have been that 1 time.
    Last edited by Big L; 03-14-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    My hypothesis, overall, is it crashed in the ocean. We just haven't looked in the right spot yet.
    Bingo give this man a cigar

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    To me, i dont know what the big deal is. Its a plane, it could fail. It can be anywhere.

Human nature is funny. Everyone wants to make up some grandiose story involving radical terrorism or whatnot. Usually, the true answer is the simplest one. I dont even want to speculate but it can be a million things. I highly doubt, however, it had anything to do with the iranians with fake passports or ALI lol

OMG...I agree with dickkotite

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    OMG...I agree with dickkotite
    Soon you will be living with me in my compound. Eventually, you will murder another at my request