Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marty loves Cooks

I like Cooks, and think he can be dynamic, but I think I like Beckham Jr just a tad bit more because he's known to have better hands, and just seems more shifty in space. But I wouldn't be mad if Cooks was the pick. With Decker on board, I think our WR pick (atleast the top one) needs to be someone who has speed to burn defenses, and is shifty as well (something Hill lacks). In this draft, those guys seem to be Watkins (too high), Beckham, Cooks and Adams in the first to second round range.

Also heard De'Anthony Thomas wants to be just a WR, which knocks him down further down the board for me, but he'd be an interesting pick late in the draft as a possible Kerley replacement if he gets too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I like Cooks, and think he can be dynamic, but I think I like Beckham Jr just a tad bit more because he's known to have better hands, and just seems more shifty in space. But I wouldn't be mad if Cooks was the pick. With Decker on board, I think our WR pick (atleast the top one) needs to be someone who has speed to burn defenses, and is shifty as well (something Hill lacks). In this draft, those guys seem to be Watkins (too high), Beckham, Cooks and Adams in the first to second round range.

Also heard De'Anthony Thomas wants to be just a WR, which knocks him down further down the board for me, but he'd be an interesting pick late in the draft as a possible Kerley replacement if he gets too expensive.
    actually i like gallon from UM as a slot wr. he can be had late and can return punts.

Hall Of Fame
    We would be lucky to draft a kid like Cooks. 5'10" is plenty big enough.

All Pro
    Mike Riley runs as close to a pro offense as you will find in college football. Brandin Cooks runs solid routes, not the kind of designed plays that WV ran for Austin. In his 1st season, Cooks can run the kind of plays on the Jets that Austin run with Geno at WV until he Gets acquainted with the Jets play book. With Decker, Nelson and Kerley, the Jets have excellent WRs who know how to get open and more importantly, catch and hold onto the Football . With Stephen Hill and Cooks, they would have to players who could take the top off any defense.

It would make an interesting WR core.

I still think the best Pick for the Jets at 18 is Zack Martin.

All League
    I love Martin as a prospect. Plug him in at guard or tackle from day one.

Problem is, I have a hard time seeing him fall to 18. Just too many teams needing OL, and only about 4 elite tackles in this draft. (Robinson, Mathews, Lewan the others).

The diff with Cooks and Tavon was that Austin seemed to never get hit in college, i remember all last drsft season his elusiveness was talked up constantly. That elusiveness led to him taking it to the house a lot... Cooks looks blazing fast and his productivity is wonderful, but watching his tape its weird to me someone so fast and competitive seemed to get caught a lot.

That said, i wouldnt mind him at all if he is MMs choice. Any of Lee, Obj or Cooks and ill be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We would be lucky to draft a kid like Cooks. 5'10" is plenty big enough.
    Steve Smith build. Short, but stocky and powerful. You don't worry about his durability. You just don't want to run a bunch of 5'10" receivers out there. Size is needed in January.

Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    The diff with Cooks and Tavon was that Austin seemed to never get hit in college, i remember all last drsft season his elusiveness was talked up constantly. That elusiveness led to him taking it to the house a lot... Cooks looks blazing fast and his productivity is wonderful, but watching his tape its weird to me someone so fast and competitive seemed to get caught a lot.

That said, i wouldnt mind him at all if he is MMs choice. Any of Lee, Obj or Cooks and ill be delighted.
    If you gave Tavon a little opening, he'd be gone.

Cooks avg over 13 yards on screen passes that speaks volumes on his explosiveness/elusiveness. I think him getting caught has a lot to do with his QB and routes they had him run. Also for someone so short he's money in the redzone so that's a huge plus.

All Pro

Tavon Austin is the new version of Desmond Howard, peter warrick. Their College teams didn't run routes, just designed plays for them because of their athleticism. Brandin Cooks runs NFL routes, in a pro style offense. He runs crossing routes, out routes slants and quick screens. If the blocking on these plays are not precise, you're going to get tackled regardless of how fast you can run. When these plays are blocked, the play usually end in the endzone.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    Cooks avg over 13 yards on screen passes that speaks volumes on his explosiveness/elusiveness. I think him getting caught has a lot to do with his QB and routes they had him run. Also for someone so short he's money in the redzone so that's a huge plus.
    Anyone that has watched any of his tape can see how many times his QB under-threw him when he had great separation. It's almost scary what his numbers would have been if he only had a QB that could lead him.

All League
    So much misinformed spewing in this thread. Decker is a slot receiver. MM wouldn't know how to use someone like Cooks. Cooks isn't dynamic. Size matters in January(but not in October?).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I love Martin as a prospect. Plug him in at guard or tackle from day one.

Problem is, I have a hard time seeing him fall to 18. Just too many teams needing OL, and only about 4 elite tackles in this draft. (Robinson, Mathews, Lewan the others).
    3 QBs
    3 OTs
    3 Lbrs
    2Wrs
    2 DTs
    2 CBs

The Giants will have to choose between Lewan and Ealy.
    The 4th QB might come into play
    C J Mosley

Martin is either going to be the starting LG for the Jets or the starting LT for the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    So much misinformed spewing in this thread. Decker is a slot receiver. MM wouldn't know how to use someone like Cooks. Cooks isn't dynamic. Size matters in January(but not in October?).
    ****ty weather in January. It's nice to have that big target when the ball isn't going exactly where you want it to in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Anyone that has watched any of his tape can see how many times his QB under-threw him when he had great separation. It's almost scary what his numbers would have been if he only had a QB that could lead him.
    I usually hate small WRs I was against Austin 100%. Cooks impresses me a lot. He's a tough sob and he's great at fighting for the ball despite his size. Geno definitely has the arm to take advantage of his deep speed.

Veteran
    I usually hate small WRs I was against Austin 100%. Cooks impresses me a lot. He's a tough sob and he's great at fighting for the ball despite his size. Geno definitely has the arm to take advantage of his deep speed.
    I could not agree more, even about Austin. I did not want him because he is tiny and was a total gadget type player in college. Cooks is a WR that plays on the outside and is versatile as hell. Screens, slants, deep double moves, it's all on film and his QB did not help his case.

I'd much rather Evans but if he is the pick I'll be happy.

OT but I also see Lawrence now being projected as a first. Good call and a nice player.

I could not agree more, even about Austin. I did not want him because he is tiny and was a total gadget type player in college. Cooks is a WR that plays on the outside and is versatile as hell. Screens, slants, deep double moves, it's all on film and his QB did not help his case.

I'd much rather Evans but if he is the pick I'll be happy.

OT but I also see Lawrence now being projected as a first. Good call and a nice player.
    Thanks. Is he really being projected in the 1st now? That sucks haha. I was hoping we could draft him in the 3rd (doubtful), but at least in round two. Lawrence to me is like the Wilkerson of the OLBs. Smallish school but has a great frame, freakish arm length, and big hands. Which is really come in handy disengaging blocks. I think he'd be perfect opposite Coples.

I like Evans a lot, but I haven't spent as much time on him as a prospect. I can't see him getting by the Bills, Lions, Giants, Steelers, and Ravens which a sucks. Also I have a feeling the Panthers might trade up for a WR. They have nobody left.

Veteran
    Thanks. Is he really being projected in the 1st now? That sucks haha. I was hoping we could draft him in the 3rd (doubtful), but at least in round two. Lawrence to me is like the Wilkerson of the OLBs. Smallish school but has a great frame, freakish arm length, and big hands. Which is really come in handy disengaging blocks. I think he'd be perfect opposite Coples.

I like Evans a lot, but I haven't spent as much time on him as a prospect. I can't see him getting by the Bills, Lions, Giants, Steelers, and Ravens which a sucks. Also I have a feeling the Panthers might trade up for a WR. They have nobody left.
    I did a small write-up on Lawrence and Ford in the Dee Ford thread. I would love Lawrence in our defense and I think he'll be a player that Rex might fall in love with also....extremely versatile and quite polished even despite a somewhat spotty background.

If we finally go OLB in the second I'm all for Lawrence over a Van Noy type.

I did a small write-up on Lawrence and Ford in the Dee Ford thread. I would love Lawrence in our defense and I think he'll be a player that Rex might fall in love with also....extremely versatile and quite polished even despite a somewhat spotty background.

If we finally go OLB in the second I'm all for Lawrence over a Van Noy type.
    I'll have to check out that thread again. I'm also for Lawrence over Van Noy. Van Noy is a nice player, but I see him as a better fit for the LEO position in a 4-3 defense. Also as much as people here dislike Trent Murphy for his senior bowl performance my top 5 OLBs I want for us are Clowney (impossible), Mack (impossible), Murphy, Lawrence, and Marcus Smith.

If we coveted Tavon Austin last year... Why wouldn't we assume they want Cooks @ 18? He is better than Austin IMO.