Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty loves Cooks

All League

Marty loves Cooks

Per Path to the Draft today, Marty ran the WR drills today at OR St.'s pro day. They were comparing him to Desean Jackson. Have to say I am very intrigued at the possibility of him at 18.

If not Ebron, Cooks HAS to be our pick!!! With Decker, Kerley, and whoever at TE, we MUST have a reliable deep threat, long ball hitter, and Cooks fits the bill...Lee might be great, but he's no burner. and having him with the rest of our pedestrian receivers spells NO OFFENSE, easy day at the offc for opposing defenses...

All League
    I like Cooks more than Lee myself

Well we already got a biggish WR in Decker so we can afford to take the smaller Cooks. That's not a knock on Cooks. I like him a lot and think he can tear it up in our offense.

I still think we take OBJ

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I've been leaning OBJ > Lee ... guess I better see what film I can find on Cooks

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just like Decker the kid has great field awareness & instincts for the ball.

Different from Decker in having the burst of speed but being smaller.

View on mute

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw

Combine video

http://www.chargers.com/multimedia/v...9-861da98673d7
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 03-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Assuming we double dip at WR (don't see why we wouldn't since it's so "deep"), what's more likely to be around on day 2/3 -- a quality burner like Cooks or a bigger WR like Evans?

Not saying Evans will be there at 18, but which type are we better off grabbing early?
    Last edited by OCCH; 03-14-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Per Path to the Draft today, Marty ran the WR drills today at OR St.'s pro day. They were comparing him to Desean Jackson. Have to say I am very intrigued at the possibility of him at 18.
    Marty has a ton of input . . .

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Assuming we double dip at WR (don't see why we wouldn't since it's so "deep"), what's more likely to be around on day 2/3 -- a quality burner like Cooks or a bigger WR like Evans?

Not saying Evans will be there at 18, but which type are we better off grabbing early?
    Almost every "expert" projecting Evans will be gone in the 7-12 range.

Outside of him I believe all of the rest of the top guys would be considered more "quality burner" than "bigger"

You go where the talent is at pick 18 and take whichever of those we rate the highest.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Draft Profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...oks?id=2543498

COMBINE RESULTS
    GRADE
    ?
    4.33 SEC
    Top Performer
    16 REPS
    36.0 INCH
    120.0 INCH
    6.76 SEC
    3.81 SEC
    Top Performer
    10.72 SEC
    Top PerformerBLUE STAR = COMBINE TOP PERFORMER
    5'10"
    HEIGHT
    30 3/4"
    ARM LENGTH
    189LBS.
    WEIGHT
    9 5/8"
    HANDS
    OVERVIEW
    2013: Biletnikoff Award winner (as nation's top receiver), first-team All-American selection and first-team All-Pac-12 pick. Set single-season Pac-12 records with 1,730 receiving yards and 128 receptions. Led FBS in receiving yards and finished second in FBS in receptions. 2012: Biletnikoff Award semifinalist and honorable mention All-Pac-12 pick. Had five 100-yard receiving games. 2011: Played in all 12 games, starting in three. Started first game of season, becoming first true freshman to start season opener at OSU since Roddy Tompkins in 1996. Misc.: Nicknamed "Sonic Boom". Step-brother, Maurice Washington, was in Oakland Raiders training camp.
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Light on his feet with terrific balance. Sinks his hips with ease and pops out of breaks to separate. Tracks and adjusts. Quick hands. Good concentration, body control and boundary awareness. Can turn a short throw into a long gain. Shows elusiveness, creativity and vision after the catch. Unafraid to play in the tall trees. Highly productive -- totaled 195 receptions for 2,881 yards (15.4-yard average) and 21 TDs in last two seasons. Confident and competitive. Has been exceptionally durable dating back to high school. Team captain. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
    WEAKNESSES Size is just adequate -- is small-framed and lacks ideal length and bulk. Vulnerable to the jam and reroute. Relatively small catch radius. Has small hands and double-catches some throws. Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties. Will struggle to play "above the rim" at the next level. Was not an impactful punt returner. Limited run strength. Poor blocker.
    DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 1-2
    BOTTOM LINE Short, speedy, nifty-footed receiver who was unaffected by the departure of Steelers 2013 third-rounder Markus Wheaton, establishing himself as a playmaker in his own right by leading the nation with 133 yards per contest as a junior. Projects as a useful slot receiver with run-after-catch ability and some utility as an outside receiver.
    -Nolan Nawrocki

Jets Insider VIP
    Wouldn't be mad at all if we got him at 18.

All Pro
    Cooks at 18 is no.

If Lee & OBJ is gone, I'll think about taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Cooks at 18 is no.
    Yeah, seems a little reachy for me.

I'd rather reach and take ASJ.

All League
    Our front office is a stickler for production. You can't be much more productive than Cooks was in 2013. 128 catches for 1730 yards, 16 TD receptions, that is absolutely incredible. Add that he rN the second fasted time at the combine, this guy is Wes Welker and Desean Jackson combined.

By his third season, he will be the #1 WR we have been needing the last few seasons.

All League
    Been touting Cooks for awhile, much better player than Lee. If it was true that the Jets loved Austin last year than Cooks could easily be our pick.

Part of the reason the decker signing is so good is that there are VERY few 6'3 WRs who we already know can play in the league (and in deckers case play well) so we now have size in our receiving corps with him and nelson. That sets us up well because this draft is full of faster WRs who are under 6'0.

One of the guys who I love is josh huff. Not because he is a better player then cooks, but he will come probably 80 - 100 picks after cooks and could be an equally good pro. He's very fast/quick, is 5'11 and has quietly done well in senior bowl practices and his pro day.

I would like to go with OBJ in the first, solely because of his special teams skill and then look at someone like huff in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Been touting Cooks for awhile, much better player than Lee. If it was true that the Jets loved Austin last year than Cooks could easily be our pick.
    Not sure why I didn't make that connection sooner -- why did teams fight over Austin in the top 10, but Cooks is considered a reach at 18? Level of competition, or actual difference in skill set/talent level?

I'm not sure Austin's rookie year is reason for excitement to grab his clone in the first round, but it does make for an interesting comparison . . .