Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Going on With Mark Sanchez - Jason, Over the Cap Article

Jets Insider VIP

What is Going on With Mark Sanchez - Jason, Over the Cap Article

Click the link and give Jason some hits. Many of you will remember him from years past when he posted here much more frequently. Interesting take on Sanchez that says the Jets are playing this the right way...

http://overthecap.com/going-mark-sanchez/

Since I keep getting many questions about Mark Sanchez I decided to drop the contract updates for a bit and write up a quick post on Sanchez and the leverage that can be created by certain dates in a contract, since thatís a topic right now with all these contracts with various dates listed in them. Everyone expected Sanchez to be released by now and now I think many Jets fans are realizing what I had talked about for the last few months which is that Sanchez may be a Jet in 2014. Why?

Dates of offseason bonuses and contractual guarantees are very important for players and teams. Early bonuses force a team to make a decision on a player early in the offseason, giving the player the maximum opportunity to find a home. For example look at the situation of former Jet Darrelle Revis. He had a bonus due the 3rd day of the League Year which meant the Buccaneers had to make a decision very quickly on his future. Had Tampa had until April to announce they were cutting him the Patriots may have signed Aqib Talib, the Broncos may have brought back Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and other teams may have invested money in other positions. Revis was fortunate to find a team willing to pay him $12 million and it happened because of the contract structure being more player friendly.

The later the date the more time a team has to flex some muscle in creating a contract with more favorable terms. In Sanchezí case his bonus comes due on March 25, two weeks into free agency. This was likely by design when his extension was first negotiated. Remember that part of the reason behind the Sanchez extension was the need to create cap room in 2012, so there was a good chance that the deal would need to be re-worked in a few seasons. If Mark played well his salary had an opportunity to increase somewhat, but the Jets would still be getting a bargain. If he failed to improve, the Jets wanted to be protected and find a way to bring his salary down or trade him.

When one looks at the list of potential QBís available in the NFL itís pretty bleak. The biggest name out there is Michael Vick, who last played 16 games in 2006. Other names include Josh Freeman, who needs to be coached up which will most likely never happen in NY, and Matt Flynn. The field is so bad that the Jaguars paid Chad Henne $5 million to come back rather than risk losing him and having to take one of those other names. If the Jets donít necessarily believe in Geno Smith who on that list is better than Mark Sanchez? Really nobody.

Sanchez is a former 5th overall pick in the draft and to him the most important thing is having an opportunity to jumpstart what has been a stagnant career since the Jets imploded in 2011. That opportunity is likely more important than a million here or there in 2014. By holding on to Sanchez the Jets have limited his landing spots. The Jaguars signed Henne. The Buccaneers signed Josh McCown. The Vikings re-signed Matt Cassel. The Titans brought in Charlie Whitehurst.

The only destinations remaining where Sanchez might get an opportunity to start are Oakland and Cleveland. If the Jets can wait this out a few more days the Raiders may have to make a move, whether itís Freeman or trying to trade for Matt Schaub, whose future might be linked to the Texans draft options, in Houston. Once Oakland goes off the board the Jets will be in a position to offer perhaps the best only possibility for Sanchez to resurrect a career.

The Jets have wisely avoided naming Smith their starter in 2014. They are doing their best to present this as a situation where any QB has an open opportunity for a job. The Jets have a reasonably good defense and they just added a capable wide receiver in Eric Decker. It is a much more stable situation than the one in Cleveland where their best receiver is a bad night away from a suspension and the team could fire any coach or front office executive because they just feel like doing so.

The Jets also did something last year that nobody thought they would and that was to pay a player to make him go away under their conditions. That player of course was Revis who had an offseason bonus that was favorable to the player but the Jets opted to pay it to ensure they got a price they wanted. Now Sanchezí bonus is higher (its $2 million compared to Revis $1 million) but if the Jets want to play a high stakes game of poker they certainly can.

To threaten to hold Markís contract until September would be damaging to Sanchez career. While he would earn $2.5 million in offseason money from the Jets he would have to sign on for the league minimum somewhere else with almost no opportunity to play. That is what happened to Matt Leinart when he was a late season release by the Cardinals. Once you fall into the backup trap you turn into David Carr, meaning you get no more opportunities. Sanchez can hold a clipboard for one year in New York and still be looked at as a potential starter somewhere else. If he is holding a clipboard in some other city then the league is going to view that job as his upside.

What the Jets should do here is something similar to what the Eagles did with Vick lasts season. Not because they want to be spiteful or anything else, but simply because Sanchez, as scary as it sounds, is the best option the team has for a second QB. So you pitch to him this opportunity and point out how around the NFL there are no other chances. From there you work on a salary.

Last year Vick was scheduled to earn $15.5 million with the Eagles. Of that $15.5 million, $3 million was guaranteed and $12.5 wasnít. If we look at Marks roster bonus and workout bonus as ďguaranteedĒ the money is similar- $11.5 million total with $2.5 million guaranteed. The Eagles pitched Vick the opportunity and eventually paid him $7.5 million for the year. They made smart use of their cap surplus by voiding his contract to accelerate any future cap charges into 2013 and also giving them an outside chance at a compensatory pick if Vick signed a big deal with another team. For Vick he was happy to get a chance at free agency combined with an opportunity to start on a team he was familiar with.

Cassel is now the highest earning low-upside starter in the NFL at $5.75 million in payments this year. Offering Mark between $6 and $6.5 puts him as the new high water mark in the NFL. If you void the deal it would put his final cap figure between $10.8 and $11.3 million, which is still a savings of $1.8 million in cap room and you have now rid the books of any and all costs associated with Sanchez.

Is Vick a better QB than Sanchez? I think that is actually debatable. Vick will make a play or two with his legs and occasionally throw a laser, but he is far from a being a good QB. Vick has played in plenty of QB friendly systems through the years and basically has the same type of completion percentages as Sanchez. Vick also brings an added negative in that if he loses the job to Smith fans will go crazy to get Vick in the games. If Vick wins the competition fans will be equally irate towards Smith when Vick falls apart in week 5 due to damage he takes as the starter and has to head to the bench for a month. Sanchez doesnít bring either to the table. Nobody is going to scream to bring in Sanchez and he doesnít present the same kind of injury risk.

The Jets are playing their hand very well here. Even if the eventual decision is to release Sanchez they are doing everything to keep hold of their chips and make the best use of their money to build the team in 2014 and beyond. But their ability to do this was put in place two years ago, long before John Idzik stepped foot into Florham Park. Itís the little things like this that can make a contract stand out as a positive even if it looks like a negative on first glance.

All Pro
    Wow- what a fantastic read- click the link too to give Jason the author the hits he deserves

All League
    Good article, makes a lot of sense

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

All League
    Sanchez better than Vick? Must be Manish

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    +1 what the article does not factor in is the divisiveness SANCHEZ sitting on the bench or Geno sitting on the bench would bring to the Jets locker room. IMO the Jets would be wise to dump Sanchez as soon as they can if they truly believe in Geno. If they don't, get rid of geno and go with REX's darling. We need a united locker room for this young team to survive. United we stand; divided we fall. I'd go for Ryan Fitzpatrick over Sanchez for the Jets.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-15-2014 at 08:11 AM.

IDK, The potential for distraction outweighs any potential benefit that Mark MAY bring to the table over Campbell or FitzPatrick. and at 1/4 of the 6mill cost. The difference is 4 mill, that is huge. Think about the potential downside, Smith falters and Mark comes in and plays good ball for the last 5 games, Is he re-signed and what SB does he get?

I would stay away from Vick, If your looking to develop Smith. Vick wants to start and compete, again a potential distraction, only this time even more so.

The Jets should get a Vet to hold the clipboard and watch film with Smith.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    IDK, The potential for distraction outweighs any potential benefit that Mark MAY bring to the table over Campbell or FitzPatrick. and at 1/4 of the 6mill cost. The difference is 4 mill, that is huge. Think about the potential downside, Smith falters and Mark comes in and plays good ball for the last 5 games, Is he re-signed and what SB does he get?

I would stay away from Vick, If your looking to develop Smith. Vick wants to start and compete, again a potential distraction, only this time even more so.

They can still cut him, and if they keep him they can redo the contract. If those options are correct, it makes complete sense

I call bs - competition is ALWAYS good. If Smith wants to start he needs to prove he's the starter ... Period. Do you think Tom Brady, Peyton. Manning, Drew Brees or Ben Rothlensburger stay awake at night worrying about competition ? The answer is no because they have confidence. The Starting QB should never need to be coddled ... Jesus I'm tired of people posting crap like that.

I want to cut Sanchez because its better for both sides ... They both need fresh start. Personally I think we should draft another young gun or trade for a guy like Cousins with the cap money we will save by dropping. Mark.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 03-15-2014 at 08:17 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I call bs - competition is ALWAYS good. If Smith wants to start he needs to prove he's the starter ... Period. Do you think Tom Brady, Peyton. Manning, Drew Brees or Ben Rothlensburger stay awake at night worrying about competition ? The answer is no because they have confidence. The Starting QB should never need to be coddled ... Jesus I'm tired of people posting crap like that.

I want to cut Sanchez because its better for both sides ... They both need fresh start. Personally I think we should draft another young gun or trade for a guy like Cousins with the cap moneywort we will save by dropping. Mark.
    I never get the distraction garbage. If you can play, what is the distraction

i didn't read the article and I don't have to because all you need to know about sanchez is he took a season ending injury via sack in a meaningless game where he had every opportunity to throw it away instead of getting hit/hurt. That's Sanchez's decision making or lack thereof as it were.

Now factor in how bad he is/was and yeah Jason and his article mean nothing, writers making excuses for sanchez mean nothing etc etc. bad bad horribad is mark sanchez. let oakland overpay for him. free up cap space anybody out there is better than him.

All Pro
    Is Vick a better QB than Sanchez? I think that is actually debatable. Vick will make a play or two with his legs and occasionally throw a laser, but he is far from a being a good QB. Vick has played in plenty of QB friendly systems through the years and basically has the same type of completion percentages as Sanchez. Vick also brings an added negative in that if he loses the job to Smith fans will go crazy to get Vick in the games. If Vick wins the competition fans will be equally irate towards Smith when Vick falls apart in week 5 due to damage he takes as the starter and has to head to the bench for a month. Sanchez doesnít bring either to the table. Nobody is going to scream to bring in Sanchez and he doesnít present the same kind of injury risk.

The Jets are playing their hand very well here. Even if the eventual decision is to release Sanchez they are doing everything to keep hold of their chips and make the best use of their money to build the team in 2014 and beyond. But their ability to do this was put in place two years ago, long before John Idzik stepped foot into Florham Park. Itís the little things like this that can make a contract stand out as a positive even if it looks like a negative on first glance.

I just wasted precious time reading your nonsense just like Sanchez a waste of time here. How did Tannenbaum know the highlited above he created, was going to work? well then he should have known before hand Mark Sanchez was going to be an absolute failure as a Jet. It would not be in the best interest of the Jet organization to squander 2.2 milliom to Sanchez even as a back up with no potential for improvement. Oh! please give me a break. I am living in a Patriots Jim Plunkett nightmare.
    Last edited by TechJet; 03-15-2014 at 08:23 AM.

If you're gonna fear something never fear success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post

I want to cut Sanchez because its better for both sides ... They both need fresh start. Personally I think we should draft another young gun or trade for a guy like Cousins with the cap moneywort we will save by dropping. Mark.
    GENO needs all the reps he can get with the #1's if he is our starter. Taking away reps in camp only serves to retard his growth. Competition is IDZIK's way. In Seattle he saw the team sign FLYNN and draft a kid. That kid showed more in camp and got the vast majority of reps in preseason games. Flynn was relegated to the bench. Confidence comes from also being familiar with your teammates. Communication between them makes for a winning team. The QBs compete in camp mostly under the skillful eyes of the OC and QB coach. In the preseason games all QBs in camp get a chance to play. They can either cement their standing with the coaches or not! But the majority of the reps will always go to the guy perceived to be the #1 QB so that he can build rapport with his team. I agree that at this point in Geno's career he should not be coddled as Sanchez was. But he does deserve to get more reps with the #1s if he is going to be the starter. If Sanchez is going to be the starter as he is REX's favorite, then he must get the bulk of the reps with the ones. If Geno can beat him out in camp and in preseason games, the Jets will be better off for it. What I fear is SANCHEZ being anointed #1 by Rex before camp even starts. Rex has a history of this with Sanchez and look at how that turned out so far!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-15-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I never get the distraction garbage. If you can play, what is the distraction
    Its really quite simple. Some guys in the locker room will favor Mark; others will favor Geno. The potential for a collision is there. United we stand; divided we fall! I think a new vet is the way to go to prevent that. I do not care to see VICK in NY though. I favor RYAN FITZPATRICK or JASON CAMPBELL.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Its really quite simple. Some guys in the locker room will favor Mark; others will favor Geno. The potential for a collision is there. United we stand; divided we fall! I think a new vet is the way to go to prevent that. I do not care to see VICK in NY though. I favor RYAN FITZPATRICK or JASON CAMPBELL.
    So nobody, not one single guy, could favor Campbell or Fitz? And why would anyone favor Sanchez, considering he is such hot garbage?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I would expect any quarterback going to another team regardless of how should want to the starter of that team We see all this talk distractions etc. If I am nearing the end of my career IVVVV.jpg will try my best to start.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

he is not talking about athletes he's talking about QB's. Aside from a ridiculous amount of turnovers, which is correctable, Sanchez is probably a better QB. Vick is a stud athlete.

Jets Insider VIP
    So nobody, not one single guy, could favor Campbell or Fitz? And why would anyone favor Sanchez, considering he is such hot garbage?
    Because REX is known to favor MARK SANCHEZ. He never had a legitimate QB competition in camp before. Why start now? That would tear this team apart!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    he is not talking about athletes he's talking about QB's. Aside from a ridiculous amount of turnovers, which is correctable, Sanchez is probably a better QB. Vick is a stud athlete.
    Do not disagree.

I like Idzik. He is not a fan. He is a GM. That's what I get from the article. Do what is in the best interest of the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I think both Mark and Vick are not great QBs. We must either develop Geno or find another starter! With REX at the helm, can you see SANCHEZ leading us to a SB win? I just can not! I fear that REX will anoint Mark as his starter the minute he can.