Thread: cap casualties: the second wave

cap casualties: the second wave

With the reticence of Idzik to make big deals in the first wave of free agency, worth discussing what looming cap casualties he may be waiting to pounce on. Couple to keep in mind:

1) Desean Jackson: seems crazy to think about it, but he has a huge cap number, and I live in philly, and just the other day, Chip Kelly opted to avoid discussing whether he might be a cap casualty. Knows Marty's system and could be an instant upgrade for us
    2) Owen Daniels: not sure if his contract has been remedied, but there has been chatter he is on the block. Would be a great complement to Cumberland
    3) Matt Schaub; like us with Sanchez, they are holding the cards on Schaub and have not yet released him. How about a swap of QBs; both could use new surroundings.
    4) Chris Johnson: he will be released eventually. Question is do you give him or MJD a contract offer.

Defense:
    1) Jonathan Joseph: doubtful but has been mentioned as a potential cut in Houston.
    2) Reggie Nelson: some smoke there as well in Cinci, but doubt he is let go. Jets were interested in him a couple of years back

More upside on offense right now. But there will be some interesting options in the next couple of weeks. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    With the reticence of Idzik to make big deals in the first wave of free agency, worth discussing what looming cap casualties he may be waiting to pounce on. Couple to keep in mind:

1) Desean Jackson: seems crazy to think about it, but he has a huge cap number, and I live in philly, and just the other day, Chip Kelly opted to avoid discussing whether he might be a cap casualty. Knows Marty's system and could be an instant upgrade for us
    2) Owen Daniels: not sure if his contract has been remedied, but there has been chatter he is on the block. Would be a great complement to Cumberland
    3) Matt Schaub; like us with Sanchez, they are holding the cards on Schaub and have not yet released him. How about a swap of QBs; both could use new surroundings.
    4) Chris Johnson: he will be released eventually. Question is do you give him or MJD a contract offer.

Defense:
    1) Jonathan Joseph: doubtful but has been mentioned as a potential cut in Houston.
    2) Reggie Nelson: some smoke there as well in Cinci, but doubt he is let go. Jets were interested in him a couple of years back

More upside on offense right now. But there will be some interesting options in the next couple of weeks. Any others?
    would love to see jackson in jet green.

All League
    With teams being able to release players and designate them June 1 cuts for salary cap reasons, we don't have the second wave of cuts like we used to. Yes, there will still be players released, but the majority of "starter-quality" players have already been available.

The only real possibility is Jackson. And it would be ironic if the only holes that Idzik filled this offseason were the 2 WR spots. I say that only because WR is by far the deepest position in the draft and we could have filled at least one of those spots with a rookie deal.

It's just bizarre how this offseason has gone for the Jets so far.

Love his speed and talent. Not so much his semi-diva attitude, but hey, it's the pattern for NFL WR's. They can't all be humble like Larry Fitzgerald. I would be delighted to have D-Jax on this team.

Isn't he injured like every season? If he is a perrennial injury risk then why risk him?

I guess he'd be a fine backup, but would he be looking for a starter position and/or starter money? He is a turnover machine like Sanchez.

No. They will want way too much when a 4th round RB pick, Ivory and Powell can be just as effective. Will these guys sign for cheap money? No way.

Defense:
    I was hoping the jets would get him a couple of years ago when it was in doubt that they would re-sign Cro.

Interesting point about DJax- another twist if he's released is that the Eagles traded for Sproles which could spell the end of Jackson's KR/PR duties in Philly. That's one of the numerous spots the Jets are lacking in.

Rookie

Defense:

Lol @ DJax being a CAP casualty. Philly fans will burn that city down if that happen. They love their DJax there.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    DJax is a WR first and also had his best year last year, I believe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Owen Daniels was released already. So was Garret Graham, I believe. Garret would be the better option at this point. Younger, productive, and more upside. Surprised Jets have not gone after one of them.

All League
    Graham was a free agent. He is from Jersey and I thought he would be a perfect addition. Houston actually released Daniels to resign Graham, which happened last week.

Ok so if DJ is not released And was available for trade what would you give up for him

If question is if the Saints can sign Jimmy Graham or what they do once he holds out

I personally would have no interest in Djackson.

All League
    Owen Daniels would be a nice signing. He and Cumberland would make a nice 1-2 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Owen Daniels would be a nice signing. He and Cumberland would make a nice 1-2 combo.
    Cumberland can't catch but I like Owen Daniels.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Cumberland can't catch but I like Owen Daniels.
    Cumberland's a solid #2 TE.