Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Giants have signed CB Walter Thurmond

Jets Insider VIP

NY Giants have signed CB Walter Thurmond

wonder if today's mtg is cancelled.

Veteran
    This is interesting was Thurmond scheduled for an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1m
    So Giants get a one-year deal done with former Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond; still scheduled to meet today with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nope.

Now let's watch the Giants sign both Thurmond and DRC, the Pats sign Revis and Browner, and the Jets....

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe we are moving Hill to CB.

Idzik better really know something about thurmond that the rest of the league doesn't because how we could not bring him in on a 1 year deal seems crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Nope.

Now let's watch the Giants sign both Thurmond and DRC, the Pats sign Revis and Browner, and the Jets....
    It would not surprise me in the least to see DRC signed by the jints. The Jints had a plan going into free agency. The jets and Idzik are watching the boat sail by. Idzik is not prepared for free agency. To assume that our 5 6th & 7th round picks will make an impact is naive.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Idzik better really know something about thurmond that the rest of the league doesn't because how we could not bring him in on a 1 year deal seems crazy to me.
    Apparently we are building for the future so one-year deals with guys like Revis and Thurmond just aren't in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Apparently we are building for the future so one-year deals with guys like Revis and Thurmond just aren't in the cards.
    i may be reading into this too much, but it seems the teams being the most aggressive are those who think they're playoff teams this year. the jets are behaving like a team that does not believe the addition of a high priced cb can help get them to the playoffs this season.

Undrafted Free Agent
    To say the Gm is not prepared for Free Agency is a clueless and stupid statement. It is funny reading this whole board some of you think he should spend,spend, spend.

Undrafted Free Agent
    First of all Revis was never going to come here for a one year deal unless we way overpaid - even then; he wants the money but he is hunting for a ring. Secondly, one year deals rarely work out; if the guy is a stud he will likely leave for greener pastures (or you have to tag him), if not it was a waste of a slot. How did our 1 year TE work out for us last year? What ever one is saying with sarcasm, I say for real, you build through the draft with careful FA acquisitions. Remember, ever FA you sign is one less roster spot for a draft pick to make the team.

Worst case we have a crappy year this year and we are in position to draft a franchise QB or #1 WR next year. This was the plan all along; build slowly and carefully, we knew it would take a few years, now we have to be patient. Fortunately, we get to complain about the FA and draft and want the splashes - after all we are in this for the entertainment value, but Idzik doesn't have to win the excitement wars, he just has to build a good team.

Hall Of Fame
    i may be reading into this too much, but it seems the teams being the most aggressive are those who think they're playoff teams this year. the jets are behaving like a team that does not believe the addition of a high priced cb can help get them to the playoffs this season.
    I have been down on us as much as anybody the past couple of years but I really felt that after last year that we would be able to compete for a division title this year. $40 million in cap space, 12 draft picks, continuity in the coaching staff, etc. So if you are right then that would be a disappointment to me.

Outside of Verner and Talib I think the CB deals have been reasonable. I applauded the Giacomini and Decker signings but I think we have really dropped the ball when it comes CBs and the interior OL. We could sign guys that don't break the bank. I don't like the idea of depending on rookies at those positions. This can all change in a hurry if we sign a CB soon but pretty soon the music is gonna stop and there will be nowhere for us to sit.

Thurmond is more of a slot corner and is on for just one year.

They're still meeting with/want DRC and would have him start on the outside opposite Prince.

Then Rex won't be happy considering the contract extension he signed, reportedly included heavy incentives for playoff wins..

I have been down on us as much as anybody the past couple of years but I really felt that after last year that we would be able to compete for a division title this year. $40 million in cap space, 12 draft picks, continuity in the coaching staff, etc. So if you are right then that would be a disappointment to me.

Outside of Verner and Talib I think the CB deals have been reasonable. I applauded the Giacomini and Decker signings but I think we have really dropped the ball when it comes CBs and the interior OL. We could sign guys that don't break the bank. I don't like the idea of depending on rookies at those positions. This can all change in a hurry if we sign a CB soon but pretty soon the music is gonna stop and there will be nowhere for us to sit.
    Expectations. The opium of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Then Rex won't be happy considering the contract extension he signed, reportedly included heavy incentives for playoff wins..
    Wonder if people still think that Rex is in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wonder if people still think that Rex is in charge
    its a long offseason

I like your analogy of musical chairs. We right now have left the seat with one decent CB left, do you honestly think that DRCs agent doesn't know that the Jets missed the CB train?
    Now granted, Cro might come back & I'm sure he'll be healthier than last year but I was looking for an upgrade, maybe steal Grimes from the Fins?
    We sure as hell aren't getting DRC for a bargain rack price I can tell you that.
    I'm not being over critical at being slightly disappointed that we at this moment have no CB & probably will have 40 million to spend.
    I'm under no dillusions that we have the talent to win a Super Bowl, but I want to vie for a playoff spot! 4 years out of the playoffs would suck to be honest with you, especially with the parity in this league.
    Anyone who witnessed the Pats last year would be lying if they consider them unbeatable, for gods sakes Brady had a lot of bad games, they had numerous come from behind pull games out of their azzes wins, their trench play is average, Dline is below average, and I'd be shocked if Edelman can get through another season unscathed making a living 5 yards from the LOS.
    Chrebet was good at that too, until concussions took their toll.
    My feeling is we lost out in the cornerback frenzy & Idzik and the gang are regrouping in Florham Park.
    If we don't sign DRC? Who's left?
    If we draft for need again at 18 it will have to be a CB if Cro isn't brought back. So, for the 100 threads on here about what WR we are taking at 18, the discussion could soon shift to "Who's the best CB in the 2014 draft".
    It's not the end of the world as we should get 5 good players but it can't be BPA with a gaping hole at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    its a long offseason
    and apparently, it's a process....