Thread: Anthony Barr = Vernon Gholston?

Rookie

Anthony Barr = Vernon Gholston?

I've heard several folks on here singing the praises of Barr as the possible pass rusher we've been missing, and I'm curious as to your thoughts on this. This is about the only time of year I do any research on prospects, so again it's more a conversation starter than my opinion.

I was listening to sports radio in Baltimore the other day. Vinny Cerrato, who was director of scouting and player personnel for the 49ers for most of the 90s, compared Barr to Vernon Gholston. Great athlete, not much of a football player. Thoughts?

Ah springtime. Baseball, the Masters, one month to the draft and the inevitable Gholston comparisons. For what it's worth, I think Barr reminds me more of Maybin.

Quote Originally Posted by green&white View Post
    I've heard several folks on here singing the praises of Barr as the possible pass rusher we've been missing, and I'm curious as to your thoughts on this. This is about the only time of year I do any research on prospects, so again it's more a conversation starter than my opinion.

I was listening to sports radio in Baltimore the other day. Vinny Cerrato, who was director of scouting and player personnel for the 49ers for most of the 90s, compared Barr to Vernon Gholston. Great athlete, not much of a football player. Thoughts?
    lazy comparison IMO

Barr looks raw at times and not surprising considering he's been a LB for only 2 years but his type of athleticism is entirely different from VG.....he has a bend and suppleness that is rare and that Gholston never came close to.He does appear to make the odd assignment error but again that can be put down to learning.I do see a guy who's very aggressive unlike Vern.Not a slam dunk sure thing by any stretch but his upside is huge and I actually think we'd be the ideal landing spot especially with Pace and Coples likely to start.

pretty sure Abraham didn't start in year one but established himself gradually as a designated rusher before becoming a pro bowler with an excellent all round game in year 2 I think Barr is more like Abe in that respect

Meanwhile, there is little chance Barr will last until 18. He could be Lawrence Taylor 2.0, but there is little chance he gets out of the top 10, let alone reach us at 18.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually no. What made Gholston was his freakish combine. Barr has shown he is a freak on the football field. Poor comparison. Mack is more likely to end up like gholston than Barr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Meanwhile, there is little chance Barr will last until 18. He could be Lawrence Taylor 2.0, but there is little chance he gets out of the top 10, let alone reach us at 18.
    Actually Barrs chances of going top 10 are about 40% right now. This isn't November, things changed

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Actually no. What made Gholston was his freakish combine. Barr has shown he is a freak on the football field. Poor comparison. Mack is more likely to end up like gholston than Barr.
    I don't think so.

Although I tend to laugh at the people who think that Mack is an absolute "can't miss" prospect and worthy of the #1 overall pick.

Reminds me of what everyone was saying about Aaron Curry 5 years ago.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    lazy comparison IMO

Barr looks raw at times and not surprising considering he's been a LB for only 2 years but his type of athleticism is entirely different from VG.....he has a bend and suppleness that is rare and that Gholston never came close to.He does appear to make the odd assignment error but again that can be put down to learning.I do see a guy who's very aggressive unlike Vern.Not a slam dunk sure thing by any stretch but his upside is huge and I actually think we'd be the ideal landing spot especially with Pace and Coples likely to start.

pretty sure Abraham didn't start in year one but established himself gradually as a designated rusher before becoming a pro bowler with an excellent all round game in year 2 I think Barr is more like Abe in that respect
    I remember seeing Abraham in a preseason game his rookie year and saying to myself, "wow". I never saw that kind of speed in a Jets big man before. Only problem was he couldn't stay on the field.

All Pro
    There's a problem here with these comparisons. Vernon Gholston had no love for the game of football, and that's why he failed despite having all the talent in the world. Both Barr and Mack love Football, and have the talent to play the game and be successful at it. In the case of Barr, he should be started on the inside next to a player like like Harris until he develops his game where his abilities can be perfected . In the case of Mack, he just needs to continue to develop his game as the level of competition improves, something Mack has proven on the field. See the Ohio State game.

All Pro
    this is like one of the worst threads.

How about this, OP - the answer is no. Horrible comparison; professionally, athletically, and historically. They both play defense, that's about where the comparison stops.