Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: DeSean Jackson **merged** RELEASED

DeSean Jackson **merged** RELEASED

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles have "intensified efforts" to trade DeSean Jackson in the last week.
    It confirms that the Eagles have been actively shopping Jackson, as opposed to simply fielding offers. Jackson is due a massive $10.7 million in scheduled salary and bonuses this year, making any trade difficult. Still, he's coming off a very strong first season in Chip Kelly's offense and figures to generate interest despite his cap number. Jackson reportedly doesn't expect to be back with Philadelphia in 2014. The Eagles "reached out" to the Panthers earlier this week, while the Jets have also been liked as a possible suitor

Jets Insider VIP
    He is the perfect fit for Chip Kelly's offense. Yet they're shopping him like crazy. Hmmm. Now why would they do that.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Been meaning to tell you, love that awesome avatar LJ. Hard to imagine what that geeky looking kid has become LOL. I call him Superman anytime I refer to him.

I think Desean is next by the way,

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Been meaning to tell you, love that awesome avatar LJ. Hard to imagine what that geeky looking kid has become LOL. I call him Superman anytime I refer to him.

I think Desean is next by the way,
    Thanks pal, hes my hero...the superman of drumming

He is my #2, Phil Collins has always been my #1, but as far as Peart goes, there is no better on the planet. The guy is the ultimate technician. I tell you I had the fortune of seeing Asia at Westbury music fair last year and I am sure you know what that means. I was about 5 feet from Carl Palmer. He is powerful but not in Peart's class IMO.

Veteran
    i guess the 8 mill saved by the Sanchez cut could goto paying DJax. We'll see. I don't want to give up more then 1 pick in this years draft for him though. say TBs 4th and a conditional 2015 3rd.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i guess the 8 mill saved by the Sanchez cut could goto paying DJax. We'll see. I don't want to give up more then 1 pick in this years draft for him though. say TBs 4th and a conditional 2015 3rd.
    Is it only $3.5mil with dead money from the contract?

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2014

Not sure, just asking.

Heard a it's most likely going to take a 3rd and a 5th to trade for him.

My problem is that his 2014,2015, 2016 cap hits are at least 12 million dollars.

Jets have interest in DeSean Jackson..they have inquired

The Eagles have intensified their efforts to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson in the last week, according to three independent NFL sources.

While there have been earlier reports that teams reached out to inquire about Jackson, in several cases it has been the Eagles that have directly or indirectly shopped the wide receiver to gauge interest, two of the sources said.

The team said "no comment" on Friday.

The Eagles' marketing of Jackson leads to the near inevitable conclusion that he will no longer be with the team.

He's as good as gone," said one source close to the 27-year-old receiver. Another source estimated Jackson's chances of returning to the Eagles at less than five percent.

The market for Jackson would seem to be a healthy one based on his performance last season, but a $10.25 million base salary and a $12.5 million salary cap hit make the proposition a tricky one. Jackson's reputation as a troublesome receiver off the field also makes moving him more difficult.

If the Eagles don't believe he is worth his price tag why would another team take on such a hefty salary? Based on official NFL cap numbers as of Tuesday, only 13 teams besides the Eagles could afford Jackson's 2014 salary.

On Tuesday, Comcast SportsNet reported that the 49ers and Patriots had called the Eagles to inquire about Jackson. Neither team as it currently stands the 49ers have $4.2 million; the Patriots $7.6 million has enough cap room.

On Thursday, NFL Network reported the New York Jets, Panthers and Raiders had also made inquiries. The Panthers ($6.8 million) are also short on space, but the Jets ($27.9 million) and Raiders ($38.5 million) have plenty of cash.

The Jets agreed to terms Friday with former Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, who was Jackson's quarterback the better part of the last four seasons.

There are ways to create space, but the simplest way for the Eagles to deal Jackson to a team like the Panthers would be for the receiver to agree to restructuring his contract. Jackson signed a five-year, $47 million contract in March 2012, but none of the remaining money in the deal is guaranteed.

The Charlotte Observer reported on Friday that the Eagles had informally approached the Panthers about Jackson but that Carolina's cap situation and Jackson's character questions would not likely make them players.

As for the source behind the reports, the Eagles could be attempting to build a competitive market by floating out names of teams that have been calling them.

The Eagles have issued "no comments" to each of the above reports. The team's silence on Jackson could be viewed as an ominous sign. They have issued stern rebuttals to trade rumors before.

As for compensation, Comcast SportsNet reported that the Eagles were requesting at least a third-round draft pick. But two of the NFL sources suggested they may not be able to even get that much in return.

Jackson's fall from grace was in some ways a sudden one. He had a career season playing under new coach Chip Kelly, catching 82 passes for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. His receiving yards were second in franchise history behind Mike Quick's 1,409 yards set in 1983.

Jackson was one of four receivers to catch 80-plus passes and average more than 16.0 yards a reception last season. He earned his third trip to the Pro Bowl as an alternative.

If Jackson were to leave, Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper would become the Eagles' top receivers. Both were free agents this offseason and signed contracts earlier this month. Maclin inked a one-year, $6 million deal, while Cooper signed for five years, $22.5 million.

The Eagles also added versatile running back Darren Sproles in a trade and are likely to select a receiver in what is being called the deepest draft at the position in years.

Each player would come with obvious question marks. Maclin is returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee - the second of his career. Cooper has to prove last season (47 catches for 835 yards) wasn't a fluke. Sproles will be 31 in June. And rookie receivers rarely make immediate impacts.

But each would be a cheaper alternative to Jackson. And each would conceivably fit in with the culture Kelly has tried to establish within the Eagles locker room. Jackson has his allies on the team, but he lost some when he suggested that he deserved a new contract two days after the season ended, one teammate said.

The Eagles decision makers were also irked by his contract demands and increasingly so by his lifestyle displayed ever-so prominently on social media. Eagles general manager Howie Roseman even went to a few players close to Jackson to see if they could get him to cool it on his Instagram account, for instance.

But Jackson's public transgressions have been relatively minor.

Kelly has not reached out to Jackson since trade rumors first surface earlier this month, according to a source close to Jackson. The source described Jackson as taking each day in stride, working hard and motivated to have a better season.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has been described as one of Jackson's biggest supporters and played a significant part in extending his contract in 2012. He had a three-minute one-on-one conversation with the receiver after the Vikings game in December when Jackson had a sideline altercation with receivers coach Bob Bicknell.

Kelly, though, seems to have asserted his control over team operations. Asked about the Jackson trade rumors and his importance to the offense last Friday at the Maxwell Awards in Atlantic City, he sidestepped the question with a joke about an earlier Inquirer report.

"He's a priority at receiver, before Maclin, behind Cooper, or is it Cooper before Maclin, or Maclin before Cooper?" Kelly said. "So I'll check what you write, and I'll tell you how we feel about it."

Kelly won't be able to avoid reporters next week at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando. He is mandated to answer an hour's worth of questions during a roundtable interview on Wednesday. With 31 other GMs in one place, Jackson may not be an Eagle by then.

jmclane@phillynews.com

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...sj12ZLGFqoi.99

3rd rounder should do it. Anybody saying "he'll blow up the cap!" doesn't realize that he'll also be worth what he'll be getting paid. He'll stretch the field and complement both strong armed QBs we have on the roster now as well as open up lanes for Cumberland, Decker, and Kerley.

His contract has 3 years, including 2014 remaining. His cap hit is $12.5 this year and $12 next year, but even after you sign your rookies this year, you're still sitting at some $10M under the cap.

How do you not do this Idzik? He's exactly what we need. If he does well, extend him next year and make him your guy and move that cap hit along. I doubt he'll fight Rex or Idzik if he's expected to play this season under his current contract. It's not like he's underpaid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    3rd rounder should do it. Anybody saying "he'll blow up the cap!" doesn't realize that he'll also be worth what he'll be getting paid. He'll stretch the field and complement both strong armed QBs we have on the roster now as well as open up lanes for Cumberland, Decker, and Kerley.

His contract has 3 years, including 2014 remaining. His cap hit is $12.5 this year and $12 next year, but even after you sign your rookies this year, you're still sitting at some $10M under the cap.

How do you not do this Idzik? He's exactly what we need. If he does well, extend him next year and make him your guy and move that cap hit along. I doubt he'll fight Rex or Idzik if he's expected to play this season under his current contract. It's not like he's underpaid.
    If he feels like it that day; if the Jets served him his rosewater at just the right temperature, if they turned back his sheets properly with a chocolate on the pillow, if he liked the type of soap in the showers, if his shoes fit him just right that day, and so forth

Jackson is due a massive $10.7 million in scheduled salary and bonuses this year, making any trade difficult.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...esean-jackson/

Now I'm not entirely clear on how trades affect his cap hit, but from what I can see, if you can trade him for a 4th this year and possibly a conditional 4th or even 3rd next year, then extend him if you like his attitude and how he plays, it's kind of a no-brainer.

He would have to be extended after this year to make his contract palatable beyond one year. But does it really matter? The Jets will have over $30M anyway, which after Jackson and the rookies will be $10M going into next year, before you look at who is expiring next year.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 03-21-2014 at 09:15 PM.

All League

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

And he is only 27...no brainer

Bottom tier offense to a potential top 10 offense with the addition of D Jax? Is this even a question? Talk about a turnaround for the offense in one off-season

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    Is it only $3.5mil with dead money from the contract?

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2014

Not sure, just asking.
    no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post

Veteran
    my only hope is he doesn't keep #10 to remind us all of Holmes.

EDIT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rs-trade-talks

doesn't say it other then in the title, but it makes you think the panthers/eagles are actively working for a trade.

i hope idzik isn't "working on his own time" with this one and has some urgency.
    Last edited by heymangold; 03-21-2014 at 09:33 PM.

So.....neil peart? Wow.

Now i know

TB's 4th would soften the blow of trading a 3rd.

Either just a 3rd

or a 4th & conditional 2015 3rd/4th