Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Murray could be this drafts "Tom Brady" Diamond in the rough,

Jets Insider VIP

Aaron Murray could be this drafts "Tom Brady" Diamond in the rough,

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ray?id=2543587

It is not a secret that he is only about 6'1" (A little taller than Manziel) He has somewhat Short arms, doesn't have the strongest arm, and is a little frail at the moment. But, I watched this kid compete for years.. He can lead his team to victory in big games ( Mayock questioned his ability to show up in big games last season when he was considering declaring for the draft last year), he proved this season to the doubters that he can play big in big games...There is something about him when he plays, that "IT" factor that the great QBs have when commanding that huddle. I truly believe that out of this entire draft class, Murray, a 5th to 6th round pick--may end up having the best career and could potentially become a franchise QB.
    OVERVIEW
    School-record holder in attempts (1,478), completions (921), passing yards (13,166) and touchdowns (121). Records were previously held by David Greene. 2013: Started first 11 games before suffering a torn left ACL on Nov. 23 against Kentucky. Was named SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year. 2012: Started all 14 games and won the Vince Dooley Most Valuable Player Award. Set single-season school records in passing yards (3,893) and TD (36). 2011: Second-team All-SEC selection after starting all 14 games and earning team offensive MVP honors. 2010: Was an SEC All-Freshman Team pick after starting all 13 games. Was also named Team Offensive MVP and Newcomer of the Year. Threw for Georgia freshman record 3,049 yards. 2009: Redshirted. High school: Parade and U.S. Army All-American pick. Suffered broken fibula early in his senior season, but returned to lead team to Class 4A state championship. Was named Mr. Football in Florida as a junior.
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Has a quick release and is light enough on his feet to escape the first wave and make some plays on the move. Solid decision-maker -- takes what the defense gives him. Fine short-to-intermediate accuracy. Good intangibles. Encouraging team leader with a likeable personality. Leads by example. Serves well as the face of the program. Outstanding work ethic. Is very intelligent and football smart. Experienced, four-year starter in the SEC.
    WEAKNESSES Short and short-armed with a low release point that leads to batted balls. Very small-framed with a thin waist and a body that is not built to withstand the punishment that comes in the pocket. Average arm talent. Has to set his feet and everything needs to be perfect to function well. Could stand to improve his footwork. Marginal deep-ball accuracy -- tends to overstride and forces receivers to adjust. Many passes are pre-determined and often throws to spots. Loses poise under duress and can be rattled easily by pressure. Gets too jittery and anxious (overanalyzes) in big games and has a very low winning percentage vs. top-10 teams. Long-term durability is concerning.
    DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6
    BOTTOM LINE Diminutive, game-managing pocket passer still recovering from a torn ACL. Would benefit from a moving pocket that can create open throwing lanes, yet does not have the foot quickness desired for a rollout passing game. Possesses a skill set most ideally suited for a backup or No. 3 role. Intelligence, intangibles and experience are all pluses.
    -Nolan Nawrocki

Murray was one of my favorite college players and I felt he took way too much criticism at Georgia for "failing" in big games, but Im not sure about him in the pros. He takes a lot of chances forcing balls and his mechanics go to crap when pressured (as do most QBs).

I do think he would need to be in an offense like ours with a moving pocket, and rollouts etc.

All Pro
    Kind of reminds me of Eric Zeier. Hopefully he has a better pro career though.

He makes some really nice throws, love his command which reminds me of Russell Wilson (just no legs).
    Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he ends up being an effective pro.

All Pro
    I really have a dislike for short QBs, and really wanted to dislike this kid. I can't. Aaron Murray is an NFL talent at QB and a darn good 1. If he was healthy, he would be Mike Mayock #5 qb .

All League
    He has somewhat Short arms, doesn't have the strongest arm, and is a little frail at the moment.
    But aside from that, hes AWESOME!

LOL.

Sorry, but, just.....No. We already drafted Brooks "fiery little guy" Bollinger. And Glenn "tough little guy" Foley.

And to compare him to Tom Brady? He was goofy, slow, and frail looking, but he was SIX FOOT SIX.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I really have a dislike for short QBs, and really wanted to dislike this kid. I can't. Aaron Murray is an NFL talent at QB and a darn good 1. If he was healthy, he would be Mike Mayock #5 qb .
    Completely agree. Would love to snag this guy with one of our 4s, but I doubt he lasts that long.

I'm a big fan but for some reason I really like Mettenberger more…

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I'm a big fan but for some reason I really like Mettenberger more…
    That's cuz Mettenberger is a much better pro prospect..... better size and a better arm. I hate LSU.... I'm a UGA fan. However, if I had to pick an SEC QB, it would be Mettenberger, any day.

Gil Brandt was talking him up today on Sirius.

Kids gotta much bigger arm than he's given credit for, Very quick release as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Gil Brandt was talking him up today on Sirius.
    What did he say? The thing with Brandt is he never says anything bad about any QB. He had Landry as his best QB last year. Of course we can't criticize that until he gets an opportunity to show what he has.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jjoy21 View Post
    Kids gotta much bigger arm than he's given credit for, Very quick release as well.
    Freakishly quick release. That is why I think some scouts will be high on him. He just needs to make some adjustments to prevent batted balls

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    That's cuz Mettenberger is a much better pro prospect..... better size and a better arm. I hate LSU.... I'm a UGA fan. However, if I had to pick an SEC QB, it would be Mettenberger, any day.
    Agreed--I hate LSU, but Mettenberger is the better of the two. I actually think Mettenberger is the best QB in this draft, but I am more than likely in the minority on that one.

I don't see it. He's a poor man's Andy Dalton, although I suppose being comparable to Dalton would be his absolute ceiling. I don't see the Brady comparison at all.

He could start one day, obviously the injury is a concern.

The way they talk on Sirius he is shooting up the draft board maybe even as high as the 1st round. Might not even be there at our 2nd round pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I don't see it. He's a poor man's Andy Dalton, although I suppose being comparable to Dalton would be his absolute ceiling. I don't see the Brady comparison at all.

He could start one day, obviously the injury is a concern.
    I'd be more concerned on a shoulder injury on the QB position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The way they talk on Sirius he is shooting up the draft board maybe even as high as the 1st round. Might not even be there at our 2nd round pick.
    Nah. I would be shocked if he went round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    What did he say? The thing with Brandt is he never says anything bad about any QB. He had Landry as his best QB last year. Of course we can't criticize that until he gets an opportunity to show what he has.
    Sorry. Can't remember it all. Just that he likes him. Under the radar type guy considering all the talk about the other big name QBs-Bridgewater, Johnny, Bortles. He wasn't saying he's in their class just under the radar guy.

I will say. I can't remember the names but I've been seeing/hearing many other ex-scouts/front office guys (pretty sure including Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller) all basically saying the same thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't buy that

He actually reminds me a lot of Chase Daniel.

Could be a quality backup for a number of years but I don't see him as a potential franchise QB.