Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Murray could be this drafts "Tom Brady" Diamond in the rough,

Jets Insider VIP
    Not an expert or anything but I never came away very impressed with him while watching Georgia.

Have you guys seen the buzz Tom Savage has been gettting? Guy was such a flop at Rutgers.

He's definitely worth a shot in the middle rounds....And if I didn't believe in Geno I would almost want to draft him at all costs, he's got "it"

As an SC fan, I have pretty much watched every UGA game since we have been battling for the SEC East division for a while now with Murray and Georgia

It's funny because I remember saying a few times over the last couple seasons that Murray pisses me off the same way Brady usually does when I'm rooting against the Pats as a Jets fan

He would constantly convert the 3rd and longs to keep pivotal drives alive, he always tied the game or took the lead late in the game when given the opportunity....Basically he just had that annoying/clutch/always gets it done somehow factor to him....

I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm talking about if you watch the Pats/Brady alot.....Well Murray's got that quality to him so just hope that we get him or he goes to some NFC team

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    He's definitely worth a shot in the middle rounds....And if I didn't believe in Geno I would almost want to draft him at all costs, he's got "it"

As an SC fan, I have pretty much watched every UGA game since we have been battling for the SEC East division for a while now with Murray and Georgia

It's funny because I remember saying a few times over the last couple seasons that Murray pisses me off the same way Brady usually does when I'm rooting against the Pats as a Jets fan

He would constantly convert the 3rd and longs to keep pivotal drives alive, he always tied the game or took the lead late in the game when given the opportunity....Basically he just had that annoying/clutch/always gets it done somehow factor to him....

I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm talking about if you watch the Pats/Brady alot.....Well Murray's got that quality to him so just hope that we get him or he goes to some NFC team
    Jim Kelly was the worst in that way.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Agreed--I hate LSU, but Mettenberger is the better of the two. I actually think Mettenberger is the best QB in this draft, but I am more than likely in the minority on that one.
    I'd agree with that.... I think Mettenberger could be the best QB in the draft, depending on the system. I think he would be good in a WCO..... I love his zip on the intermediate throws, with plenty of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Jim Kelly was the worst in that way.
    I'm too young to remember Jim Kelly like that but I'll take your word for it

I know I'll sound homerish for it, but Connor Shaw definitely has the intangibles you love to see in a QB, the kid is a real gamer as well....I mean three straight 11 win/top 10 seasons is no accident

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    I'd agree with that.... I think Mettenberger could be the best QB in the draft, depending on the system. I think he would be good in a WCO..... I love his zip on the intermediate throws, with plenty of accuracy.
    He has a ton of talent and arm strength but I think he could take some time...I never really liked him as a player until last season and I watched a ton of LSU as well

Definitely another guy to take a long look at for sure

I'm too young to remember Jim Kelly like that but I'll take your word for it

I know I'll sound homerish for it, but Connor Shaw definitely has the intangibles you love to see in a QB, the kid is a real gamer as well....I mean three straight 11 win/top 10 seasons is no accident
    He kind of reminds me of a slightly better Shaun Hill. I could be way off, but that's what I saw in the few South Carolina games I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    He kind of reminds me of a slightly better Shaun Hill. I could be way off, but that's what I saw in the few South Carolina games I watched.
    Not a bad comp....I like to go with a Russel Wilson...they were actually very similar college players anyway

He actually throws a great deep ball even though he doesn't have great arm strength....He fits our offense really well too as he has a lot of the same strengths as Geno and worked out of a Shotgun/Zone Read offense alot

Crazy Stat: Shaw only threw 1 INT all of last season and accounted for over 30 TD's

Last edited by King Koopa; 03-26-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Rookie
    He has a ton of talent and arm strength but I think he could take some time...I never really liked him as a player until last season and I watched a ton of LSU as well

Definitely another guy to take a long look at for sure
    Okay, I can see that.... but, he did have some maturity issues, when he was younger --- I think he's just grown up, a little bit. Plus, this was his first year with a pro OC, in Cam Cameron. I'd agree with you about Shaw, too. If I only had SEC QBs to choose from, I'd take Mettenberger first, Shaw second, then Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Okay, I can see that.... but, he did have some maturity issues, when he was younger --- I think he's just grown up, a little bit. Plus, this was his first year with a pro OC, in Cam Cameron. I'd agree with you about Shaw, too. If I only had SEC QBs to choose from, I'd take Mettenberger first, Shaw second, then Murray.
    Correct me if I am wrong but Mettenberger was ahead of Aaron Murray on the depth chart at Georgia. Mettenberger got in trouble at the bar, and gets kicked out of Georgia.

Mettenberger needs a year on the bench. He is accurate and has a rifle. Really not a bad kid. Messed up when he was 18 and basically Georgia kicked him out as they have a rule when charges are filed and to avoid a lawsuit. (Bartender he grabbed father was a UF alumni) Also---see Auburns QB--Georgia's top CB 2 years ago.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but Mettenberger was ahead of Aaron Murray on the depth chart at Georgia. Mettenberger got in trouble at the bar, and gets kicked out of Georgia.

Mettenberger needs a year on the bench. He is accurate and has a rifle. Really not a bad kid. Messed up when he was 18 and basically Georgia kicked him out as they have a rule when charges are filed and to avoid a lawsuit. (Bartender he grabbed father was a UF alumni) Also---see Auburns QB--Georgia's top CB 2 years ago.

Maybe I am wrong but I think a lot of fans are projecting this Mettenberger kid base on potential due to his arm strength and size instead of what he actually did during games. When I watch this kid, whenever there was a play to be made, he didn't make the play. His play was always good enough to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but I think a lot of fans are projecting this Mettenberger kid base on potential due to his arm strength and size instead of what he actually did during games. When I watch this kid, whenever there was a play to be made, he didn't make the play. His play was always good enough to lose.
    Kind of agree with this.....Murray and Shaw were much better overall playing against the same teams

Mettenberger definitely has a greater upside physically but mentally Im not sure he ever gets there

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ray?id=2543587

It is not a secret that he is only about 6'1" (A little taller than Manziel) He has somewhat Short arms, doesn't have the strongest arm, and is a little frail at the moment. But, I watched this kid compete for years.. He can lead his team to victory in big games ( Mayock questioned his ability to show up in big games last season when he was considering declaring for the draft last year), he proved this season to the doubters that he can play big in big games...There is something about him when he plays, that "IT" factor that the great QBs have when commanding that huddle. I truly believe that out of this entire draft class, Murray, a 5th to 6th round pick--may end up having the best career and could potentially become a franchise QB.
    I would draft him in a heartbeat, he will be better then feeble Geno and the dog killer Vick .Its going to be a long season

Don't really know much about Murray but I really do hope we take a QB by at least the 4th rd.

Veteran
    I think a lot of people here are looking at Murray as a college QB and not projecting to the NFL. Was he a great college QB, no doubt and I'm rooting for the kid since he's from the TB area.

At the NFL level he's nothing more than a later round B/U at best. I can't compare his game going forward to any QB that had even moderate success in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I think a lot of people here are looking at Murray as a college QB and not projecting to the NFL. Was he a great college QB, no doubt and I'm rooting for the kid since he's from the TB area.

At the NFL level he's nothing more than a later round B/U at best. I can't compare his game going forward to any QB that had even moderate success in the NFL.
    Neither could NFL scouts, with Brady.

Veteran
    Neither could NFL scouts, with Brady.
    Brady had upside, 6'4" with a pukely body that had room for improvement...Murray will never be tall and will always have a subpar arm.

All Pro
    As a Georgia grad, I am as big an Aaron Murray fan as there is. I hope he has a great pro career, but he scares me. He made a ton of big plays and was always a lot of fun to watch, but also a lot of mistakes == bad decisions & throws into coverage. He threw 33 picks over his last three seasons -- that scares me. And he is not gonna get any taller.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post

Then Might I draw your attention to

Georgia Vs LSU .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcTs2eI5TU

Georgia Vs Bama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJg2zJoYxE

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Then Might I draw your attention to

Georgia Vs LSU .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcTs2eI5TU

Georgia Vs Bama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJg2zJoYxE
    Not really, I stand by my assessment. I watched a ton of Georgia and some other SEC teams this year.

Someone mentioned him before as a comparison, I think it was the Scot, Mr.Coops that compared him to Eric Zeier. Perfect comparison.