Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coz: Jets expected to receive 4 comp picks when the picks are handed out today

Coz: Jets expected to receive 4 comp picks when the picks are handed out today

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 1m
    Compensatory draft picks will be awarded today. Jets expected to receive 4. #nyj

This draft has been described by some as the deepest in 30 years.

Idzik with 12 picks can really build the talent base of this team for long term success...if he has a quality draft.

And IMO...he's not going to pisz away a single pick by trading up. More likely he'll trade down if given the opportunity.

BPA...all the way. Hit it out of the park Idzik baby!

Would be nice if he gave some insight into the rounds. 4 comp picks had been talked about forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Would be nice if he gave some insight into the rounds. 4 comp picks had been talked about forever.

im really curious as well...would be great if it was mid round...i'd be thrilled if we had 3, 4th round picks.

Ours, Tampa's, Comp.

I also think it would give us some great flexibility to trade a 3rd for DJAX, should the Jets chose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

One of the sites that tries to predict these things with some success in past speculated on one 5th and three 6's a while back. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One of the sites that tries to predict these things with some success in past speculated on one 5th and three 6's a while back. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.
    I saw that as well here is the link for those interested

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/r...ojections.html

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    This draft has been described by some as the deepest in 30 years.

Idzik with 12 picks can really build the talent base of this team for long term success...if he has a quality draft.

And IMO...he's not going to pisz away a single pick by trading up. More likely he'll trade down if given the opportunity.

BPA...all the way. Hit it out of the park Idzik baby!
    You can't even keep that many guys so it's pointless to pick that many.

They'll have to trade up a bit because even my basic run through the Jets roster led to roughly 47 guys that we are definitely keeping.

Rich Cimini@RichCimini 1m
    Compensatory picks awarded today. Jets expecting max -- 4 picks. Projecting one 5 and three 6s for losses of Landry, DeVito, Keller, Greene.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

They'll have to trade up a bit because even my basic run through the Jets roster led to roughly 47 guys that we are definitely keeping.
    If a trade up happens...it won't be in the 1st round. More likely to happen in the area of the 5th-7th picks of this draft.

I'm sure Idzik would love to pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder by moving down anywhere in the 23-30 range. This draft is that deep that Jets can afford to do this and still get a quality impact player in the 1st round. And do the same with that additional 2nd-3rd pick acquired by a trade down.

since they are late round pics you have a few chances of finding a diamond in the rough and the others don't make the team

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    since they are late round pics you have a few chances of finding a diamond in the rough and the others don't make the team
    Discovering the diamond in the rough within a couple weeks of training camp is nearly impossible. Those diamonds are discovered over months and trying to determine their improvement and how they take coaching.

Again, it makes little sense to draft 12 or more players for 6 or 7 spots. Taking players in a draft isn't like opening a present where you know what you got. Most of the time it's not obvious, even in practice.

All Pro

Um, that is why you cut guys.....including about 10 of the scrubs we have now.

Discovering the diamond in the rough within a couple weeks of training camp is nearly impossible. Those diamonds are discovered over months and trying to determine their improvement and how they take coaching.

Again, it makes little sense to draft 12 or more players for 6 or 7 spots. Taking players in a draft isn't like opening a present where you know what you got. Most of the time it's not obvious, even in practice.
    you draft the extra players in the hope that they can beat out second, third, fourth-year vets that haven't made an impact yet. a team may be really high on a guy that you select a few spots beforehand and, who knows, maybe they offer you a sweet package in return for the player 2 years down the line when a vacancy opens up on their roster.

there's no point in throwing away draft picks just because you don't have room for them all. especially given how much of a crapshoot the draft is. i remember the awful, awful picks of terrence ganaway and robert griffin (OL). with a better GM in place, maybe those picks aren't just awful players released before the regular season. but with an abundance of rookies you place the ready ones on the active roster, and hope to stash the not-so-ready ones on the practice squad

You insulate yourself vs busts and greatly increase the chance of getting a diamond even with a shortened camp, and then there is the psquad as well. Double dipping has proven to be effective in increasing your chances for a viable player.

2005 draft Kerry Rhodes and Andre Maddox for example. NFL camps are great for separating guys that surprise you with promise from guys who can't measure up. 12 picks is a lot but the Jets have holes and have suspect depth in a lot of areas.

Kerry and Maddox were taken because they are very different players with completely different skill sets. They both played safety, but the different safety positions.

Again, some of you guys are suggesting that the draft is basically this crap shoot, and we know what we get from day 1 in training camp. THat's just not how it works and that's not how NFL teams approach it. That's how it works in video games but there are plenty of guys who appear ordinary or even play like garbage, but then are MUCH better when they learn the system and can play a hundred miles an hour. THat only comes over months of development so it's impossible to know if some extra 6th round pick is instantly better than a guy like Campbell, who's had an entire year of coaching and will have a full training camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You insulate yourself vs busts and greatly increase the chance of getting a diamond even with a shortened camp, and then there is the psquad as well. Double dipping has proven to be effective in increasing your chances for a viable player.

2005 draft Kerry Rhodes and Andre Maddox for example. NFL camps are great for separating guys that surprise you with promise from guys who can't measure up. 12 picks is a lot but the Jets have holes and have suspect depth in a lot of areas.
    True, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen in 2012. Allen was a 7th round comp pick, he turned out to be a great selection at the end of the draft.

Veteran
    Two of those and our 1st to move up and take Sammy Watkins.

Kerry and Maddox were taken because they are very different players with completely different skill sets. They both played safety, but the different safety positions.

Again, some of you guys are suggesting that the draft is basically this crap shoot, and we know what we get from day 1 in training camp. THat's just not how it works and that's not how NFL teams approach it. That's how it works in video games but there are plenty of guys who appear ordinary or even play like garbage, but then are MUCH better when they learn the system and can play a hundred miles an hour. THat only comes over months of development so it's impossible to know if some extra 6th round pick is instantly better than a guy like Campbell, who's had an entire year of coaching and will have a full training camp.
    And yet Campbell was a 6th round pick last year. Who did we dump to keep him for a year? The Jets have a lot of easily replaceable developmental guys that have been around for a year or so. If they are not being looked at as starter material then they are tossed. It's a cycle. The Jets kept Campbell and Aboushi from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Two of those and our 1st to move up and take Sammy Watkins.
    In all likely hood the Jets would have to give up their 1st, 2nd, 3rd possibly a 4th and a 1st rounder next year to get Watkins unless he falls a long ways. (You also can't trade compensatory picks.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    If a trade up happens...it won't be in the 1st round. More likely to happen in the area of the 5th-7th picks of this draft.

I'm sure Idzik would love to pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder by moving down anywhere in the 23-30 range. This draft is that deep that Jets can afford to do this and still get a quality impact player in the 1st round. And do the same with that additional 2nd-3rd pick acquired by a trade down.
    Keep in mind, that you can't trade COMP picks.