Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebron "blew" his proday

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    Ive heard he has character issues and now I'm hearing his pro day was average. I didnt like his film before any of this and I now want absolutely nothing to do with this guy.

Being undersized along with character issues sounds more like a high risk and less like a sure thing. I want to get as close to a sure thing as possible in the 1st regardless of the position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I always thought that he was overvalued... pray he gets selected before no. 18.... I don't think he is an impact player by any means.... He's nothing close to Vernon Davis in terms of physical skills.. I know he didn't test well, but I really like Amaro... the guy from Washington is also very good (2nd rd)... Not sure I like Amaro a no. 18.... kid from ND isn't bad either in 2nd or 3rd

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    What's your point? He doesn't have the speed to make "explosive" plays.
    LOL

Have you ever watched him play? Putting way to much stock into 40 times. Mike Evans ran 4.55, I guess he can't make explosive plays either.

And I don't care what Cumberland runs in shorts, he plays slow on the field. Do you ever see Cumberland get YAC? Every time he does manage to catch the ball, he goes down pretty much immediately.

Whether you want Ebron or not, Cumberland is not the answer.

All League
    I mean even an Ebron detractor like Paradis still won't knock his athleticism, its either an insane bias or just asinine.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock says athletically, UNC TE Eric Ebron is a top 10 pick in any draft.
    "He's athletic, he catches the ball easily, he's a natural hands catcher," Mayock said. "Everything I've seen about Ebron screams top 10 talent." Mayock went on to say Ebron's landing spot is likely determined by where the quarterbacks fit early in the draft, but he "won't make it past No. 15" with the Steelers. We worry about Ebron's consistency at the catch point, and although he improved in that area, the tight end still dropped over 11 percent of his catchable targets in 2013.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande believes UNC TE Eric Ebron is a "rare talent who could be better than Jimmy Graham."
    "Although many are projecting that teams like the Ravens and Jets will be interested in him, a number of NFL people I've spoken with recently believe he will be selected in the top 12, because he is a rare talent who could be better than Jimmy Graham," Lande wrote. At 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Ebron possesses top-end playing speed along with great lateral movement. After the catch, Ebron is a dominant runner in the open field, and can easily break through arm tackles or even run by defenders. With the type of skill set Ebron has, look for teams to use him in a Vernon Davis type of role at the next level.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell said UNC TE Eric Ebron has Vernon Davis-like qualities.
    "Davis is more of a straight-line speed guy," Cosell said. "[Ebron] is more lateral in his movement. You could argue that he brings more to the table as a complete receiver. ... I thought he was a top physical talent that at times makes you say, 'Wow,' and at other times leaves you wanting more." Cosell calls Ebron a potential top-10 pick in a tight end class he thinks is 'not great.' Ebron is a "smooth, athletic mover that looks like a big wide receiver on film."

Jeff Cumberland would smoke Ebron in a race. Have you ever talked to a Jet player about Cumberland? The first thing that comes up is his straight line speed. His problem is that he can't catch.
    Yeah I bet Hill could smoke them both. Cumberland is a friggin jag. I'm not saying I want Ebron at all but Cumberland is not the answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yeah I bet Hill could smoke them both. Cumberland is a friggin jag. I'm not saying I want Ebron at all but Cumberland is not the answer.
    More importantly, who will first catch then YAC with the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Yes, I'm being a little facetious in light of all the overreactions here... but this one is worth pointing a finger at. Ebron's been called "bullet proof" by far too many here. I know i've been grandstanding on this issue for some time... and all I'm really looking for here is some recognition that Ebron isn't the "phenom" people think he is, and much more a day 2 prospect. He's role player.
    Agree with you 100%, up until here. There's a lot to be concerned about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Again, Ebron = Fred Davis

Both their measurables and style of play are incredibly similar.

Davis is a good (even pro-bowl) player when his head is on straight, but I don't consider him some kind of dynamic playmaker.

Amaro is still my #1 rated TE

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Agree with you 100%, up until here. There's a lot to be concerned about.
    well, i said that in the interest of not inciting a lynch mob in the thread. I just don't like him period. If he slid into rounds 3, and 4 I guess you'd have to start considering it, but since that obviously won't happen, i would just safely take him off my board.

Jeff Cumberland would smoke Ebron in a race. Have you ever talked to a Jet player about Cumberland? The first thing that comes up is his straight line speed. His problem is that he can't catch.
    Cumby also can't run routes and is a horrific blocker. We need 2 Tight Ends. Give me Ebron. I'll even take Amaro as long as the FO takes care of business by signing D-Jax and Ed Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I mean even an Ebron detractor like Paradis still won't knock his athleticism, its either an insane bias or just asinine.
    Heard Pat Kirwan yesterday on Sirius Movin the Chains..They do a weekly Friday mock leading up to the draft..Pat and Jim Miller will alternate picks..Pat goes 1st one week and then Miller goes 1st the next week....Pat had the Jets trading up to #12 to take Ebron...Before people rip it his explanation was he had Ebron, Mike Evans and ABarr as players for the Jets and didn't feel any would be there at #18...So he traded up to get Ebron, since he would be a match up nightmare (especially with NE in mind)....And sure enough Evans and Barr went before #18...Pat said now if this was for real and in the draft day warrom (which he's been in) you could make your point for staying at #18 (deep draft) or even taking Evans at #12 and he'd listen..Great listen every week...As info Jim Miller had the Jets taking S Calvin Pryor at #18 last week..

Also Pat thinks TE Jenkins could go in the 1st and he felt Fiedorowicz would go late 2nd-3rd round but likes him more than that
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-29-2014 at 09:48 AM.

I was in the car listening to Kirwan and almost drove off the road. No way in hell in a draft like this should we give up a second rounder to move up for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    LOL

Have you ever watched him play? Putting way to much stock into 40 times. Mike Evans ran 4.55, I guess he can't make explosive plays either.

And I don't care what Cumberland runs in shorts, he plays slow on the field. Do you ever see Cumberland get YAC? Every time he does manage to catch the ball, he goes down pretty much immediately.

Whether you want Ebron or not, Cumberland is not the answer.
    I like how you post the one clip where a bunch of defenders run into each other and take bad angles. Big deal. I've seen plenty of slow dudes get lucky and take it to the house. The dude is not explosive. Show us some other clips of him just straight outrunning secondaries. Funny that we haven't heard you say he has Vernon Davis type speed lately.

I didn't say Cumberland was the answer. I'm saying he's faster than Ebron. And it's not even close. Talk to any Jets coach or some NFL coaches (if you know any) and the one thing they mention is Cumberland's speed. Why do you think Cumberland sticks to the roster? Because he's 260lbs and runs fast.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 03-30-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I like how you post the one clip where a bunch of defenders run into each other and take bad angles. Big deal. I've seen plenty of slow dudes get lucky and take it to the house. The dude is not explosive. Show us some other clips of him just straight outrunning secondaries. Funny that we haven't heard you say he has Vernon Davis type speed lately.

I didn't say Cumberland was the answer. I'm saying he's faster than Ebron. And it's not even close. Talk to any Jets coach or some NFL coaches (if you know any) and the one thing they mention is Cumberland's speed. Why do you think Cumberland sticks to the roster? Because he's 260lbs and runs fast.
    Seriously? Ebron isn't fast or explosive? You are joking right?

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Seriously? Ebron isn't fast or explosive? You are joking right?
    Dude, he's not any faster than lots of tight ends that we've seen in recent years. The way that you Ebron fan boys were talking before the combine, you'd think he was going to run like Vernon Davis. He wasn't even close.

What are you smoking that you think that this guy is some rare athlete?

He runs a 4.6. That's what he plays like on the field. There are plenty of NFL TEs that are faster than him. And he's not all that big, which makes his speed less impressive.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 03-30-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Dude, he's not any faster than lots of tight ends that we've seen in recent years. The way that you Ebron fan boys were talking before the combine, you'd think he was going to run like Vernon Davis. He wasn't even close.

What are you smoking that you think that this guy is some rare athlete?

He runs a 4.6. That's what he plays like on the field. There are plenty of NFL TEs that are faster than him. And he's not all that big, which makes his speed less impressive.
    Ebron himself said on "Path to the Draft" that he pulled his hammy during his 40.

Regardless, I'd rather have a guy who runs fast on tape (Ebron) than a guy who only runs fast on a track (Cumberland) any day of the week.

Even though I'm a UNC grad, I think I might want Cooks the most, assuming Watkins, Evans, and Ebron are gone. All this Ebron talk is likely a pipe dream. Cooks fits this offense like a glove, and it's already known that Marty likes him. With Decker, Cooks, and Kerley we have tons of versatility, with each guy capable of playing outside and in the slot.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    I was in the car listening to Kirwan and almost drove off the road. No way in hell in a draft like this should we give up a second rounder to move up for this guy
    Kirwan is usually pretty reasonable with his projections ... Strange

The only trade up should be a 4th for Evans if he drops into the teens

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Kirwan is usually pretty reasonable with his projections ... Strange

The only trade up should be a 4th for Evans if he drops into the teens
    I'd drop the third if that is what it takes to land Evans. The three fourth rounders we have will soften the blow of moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Ebron himself said on "Path to the Draft" that he pulled his hammy during his 40.

Regardless, I'd rather have a guy who runs fast on tape (Ebron) than a guy who only runs fast on a track (Cumberland) any day of the week.

Even though I'm a UNC grad, I think I might want Cooks the most, assuming Watkins, Evans, and Ebron are gone. All this Ebron talk is likely a pipe dream. Cooks fits this offense like a glove, and it's already known that Marty likes him. With Decker, Cooks, and Kerley we have tons of versatility, with each guy capable of playing outside and in the slot.
    sounds like a player who likes to make excuses for himself

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

He ran twice. Presumably, he didn't pull (not that I believe he actually did) his hammy until the second run (otherwise he wouldn't have run the second 40). He didn't crack a 4.6 on his first run.

He's not "fast" on tape. He ran exactly what most of us thought he'd run. Vernon Davis speed my ass. He isn't even close. The guy is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    sounds like a player who likes to make excuses for himself
    A lot of his fan boys on here were shocked that he turned out to be five steps slower than Vernon Davis. That's why you don't hear the comparisons anymore.