Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ebron "blew" his proday

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    A lot of his fan boys on here were shocked that he turned out to be five steps slower than Vernon Davis. That's why you don't hear the comparisons anymore.

I don't think anyone would kill the Jets if they took him at no. 18..... Some scouts drool all over this kid.. I would not pick him at no. 18.. I don't think this guy is anything close to Vernon Davis.. He's not a physical nightmare match up that a Gronk or Graham player offer..

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Yes, I'm being a little facetious in light of all the overreactions here... but this one is worth pointing a finger at. Ebron's been called "bullet proof" by far too many here. I know i've been grandstanding on this issue for some time... and all I'm really looking for here is some recognition that Ebron isn't the "phenom" people think he is, and much more a day 2 prospect. He's role player.
    Ebron has some flaws. Here's a good take on him and they get into the warts like rounding off his routes and big drops and a questionable motor.

http://rotobahn.com/scouting-report-...orth-carolina/

Of course they also think he'll go to us in rd 1 or sooner.

Hall Of Fame
    Interesting take on this TE class. Wonder is this was a Jet executive, as the source of this article was nj.com.

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
    NFL exec rips Eric Ebron, entire TE draft class. http://on.nfl.com/1lhRI0w

NFL executive blasts Eric Ebron, entire TE draft class

The entire draft class of tight ends is a weak one, according to one NFL personnel executive, and the fool's gold starts at the top with North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The former Tar Heel is widely regarded as the draft's top prospect at the position and has been projected as high as the No. 9 overall pick to the Buffalo Bills, but at least one club will have a strong voice against him when his name comes up.

"He's OK. He's completely overrated, and he's a pain in the (butt)," an AFC personnel executive told nj.com. "And don't ask him to block anybody, because he's not going to do it."

Now there's someone who wouldn't touch Ebron with a pick anywhere near as high as No. 9. Ebron has also been projected to the New York Giants at No. 12 by NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, and No. 17 to the Baltimore Ravens by analyst Charles Davis. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but Ebron didn't even catch the worst of it. Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, potentially a second-round pick, wasn't spared, either.

"He's more overrated and a bigger pain in the (butt) than the other guy," he said. "And he blocks like a wide receiver. I don't want any part of him."

The same exec went on to devalue the entire class at the position, which includes another potential first-round pick in Texas Tech's Jace Amaro, a second-round projection in Notre Dame's Troy Niklas, and a projected second-day pick in Iowa's C.J. Fiedorowicz.

"It's not good at all. I wish it was. But it's not," he added. "It's actually a bad year for tight ends. There's nobody even close to (Tyler) Eifert (drafted No. 21 by Bengals last year). (Eagles 2013 second-rounder Zach) Ertz is better than these guys."

It can certainly be argued that the tight end class is thin on depth, particularly for clubs in search of an in-line blocker at the position, rather than the slot-type receiving tight end that has taken a commanding presence in more than a few NFL offenses.

If Ebron is headed for Bustville, however, it will come as a surprise to the other scouts nj.com spoke with.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Interesting take on this TE class. Wonder is this was a Jet executive, as the source of this article was nj.com.

The entire draft class of tight ends is a weak one, according to one NFL personnel executive, and the fool's gold starts at the top with North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The former Tar Heel is widely regarded as the draft's top prospect at the position and has been projected as high as the No. 9 overall pick to the Buffalo Bills, but at least one club will have a strong voice against him when his name comes up.

"He's OK. He's completely overrated, and he's a pain in the (butt)," an AFC personnel executive told nj.com. "And don't ask him to block anybody, because he's not going to do it."

Now there's someone who wouldn't touch Ebron with a pick anywhere near as high as No. 9. Ebron has also been projected to the New York Giants at No. 12 by NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, and No. 17 to the Baltimore Ravens by analyst Charles Davis. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but Ebron didn't even catch the worst of it. Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, potentially a second-round pick, wasn't spared, either.

"He's more overrated and a bigger pain in the (butt) than the other guy," he said. "And he blocks like a wide receiver. I don't want any part of him."

The same exec went on to devalue the entire class at the position, which includes another potential first-round pick in Texas Tech's Jace Amaro, a second-round projection in Notre Dame's Troy Niklas, and a projected second-day pick in Iowa's C.J. Fiedorowicz.

"It's not good at all. I wish it was. But it's not," he added. "It's actually a bad year for tight ends. There's nobody even close to (Tyler) Eifert (drafted No. 21 by Bengals last year). (Eagles 2013 second-rounder Zach) Ertz is better than these guys."

It can certainly be argued that the tight end class is thin on depth, particularly for clubs in search of an in-line blocker at the position, rather than the slot-type receiving tight end that has taken a commanding presence in more than a few NFL offenses.

If Ebron is headed for Bustville, however, it will come as a surprise to the other scouts nj.com spoke with.
    None of this comes as a surprise to be because I have been saying from the beginning that the best TE in this class is the drug addict Colt Lyerla. At Oregon when he played, that kid lined up at H-Back, Conventional TE, Split Out Wide and was a solid blocker. Yes, has an issue, but considering what that issue will cost him, I think the kid deserves a shot to correct his mistakes like we all do and are given. Nobody s going to spend any pick higher than a late 6th on this kid and I think he's worth it with his talent.

All Pro

This could be a sincere evaluation or a bs story planted by a team who wants to pick one of these guys at the end of the first or early in the second.

Regardless, I don't want to use a first on a TE.

Hall Of Fame
    I really think Jenkins is the best TE in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    He is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    None of this comes as a surprise to be because I have been saying from the beginning that the best TE in this class is the drug addict Colt Lyerla. At Oregon when he played, that kid lined up at H-Back, Conventional TE, Split Out Wide and was a solid blocker. Yes, has an issue, but considering what that issue will cost him, I think the kid deserves a shot to correct his mistakes like we all do and are given. Nobody s going to spend any pick higher than a late 6th on this kid and I think he's worth it with his talent.
    He's not just a drug addict. He's got a few bolts loose. 7th rounder, if he's lucky.

Jenkins is the best Te in the draft. Jets could probably pick him in the 2nd/3rd and still get another TE like Colt/Fedorwicxyz later

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Jenkins is the best Te in the draft. Jets could probably pick him in the 2nd/3rd and still get another TE like Colt/Fedorwicxyz later
    I like fedorwictz a lot. There hasnt been a single yard that a Jets back has gained in the past 5 years that was gained with a legit blocking TE on the field. If we could put a guy like Fed or Nikolas on the field as a "6th lineman" who can also catch a 10 yard plass, our offense would really be able to do some damage with ivory and 3 WRs who can at least keep the safeties honest.

can't waste early pick on TE...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    He may not be a ''phenom'', but he is still a round 1, day 1 starting TE that will be an explosive playmaker at the position. Still little chance he even reaches 18.
    ... I don't think we look at TE till later rounds--- Idzik gotta go WR, CB, FS, OL..... in earlier rounds. Can pick up a sleeper TE like this kid from Fresno State; could really develop.

MARCEL JENSEN

..Draft Projection Rounds 4-5

Bottom Line--- Strapping, athletic, long-armed, ascending talent who did not play a starring role in a run-and-gun, receiver-dominated spread offense, but has raw physical tools to develop into a balanced Y tight end. Should only get better and has potential to become an asset in the running game and a mismatch in the passing game. .

so far the only rumors with TEs and the jets is amaro. i am beginning to think their strategy may be to draft a wr in the first, and then possibly trade up for amaro if he's around after 5 or so picks in the 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I like fedorwictz a lot. There hasnt been a single yard that a Jets back has gained in the past 5 years that was gained with a legit blocking TE on the field. If we could put a guy like Fed or Nikolas on the field as a "6th lineman" who can also catch a 10 yard plass, our offense would really be able to do some damage with ivory and 3 WRs who can at least keep the safeties honest.
    I am not sure that is a priority for a TE in Marty's system though. If you look at what he did in Philly, he had Brent Celek as his TE, and he was far from an inline blocking TE. If I had to guess what his preference is, I would think he would favor an Ebron or Amaro over Fiedorowicz.

I am not sure that is a priority for a TE in Marty's system though. If you look at what he did in Philly, he had Brent Celek as his TE, and he was far from an inline blocking TE. If I had to guess what his preference is, I would think he would favor an Ebron or Amaro over Fiedorowicz.
    i believe you're a big fan of amaro. the jets are bringing him in for a visit, this, after idzik personally attended his pro day. i've seen him on many draft boards ranked anywhere from 30-40. would the jets be foolish to take him at 18 based on value, or is he most definitely a 2nd round prospect?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i believe you're a big fan of amaro. the jets are bringing him in for a visit, this, after idzik personally attended his pro day. i've seen him on many draft boards ranked anywhere from 30-40. would the jets be foolish to take him at 18 based on value, or is he most definitely a 2nd round prospect?
    Second round guy at the earliest, no way I take him at 18.

One of the very few positions I'm completely against spending a top pick on this season is TE. These guys have major flaws and the position generally produces solid players from the middle rounds. The Jets have wasted too many 1st rounders on TE's over the years. I'd wait and grab Brent Celek if he gets cut or take a flier on the head problems guy with one of our three 6th round comp picks.