Thread: Moving Forward / NYJets style

All Pro

Moving Forward / NYJets style

" You can't know where you're going unless you Know here you came from".

The 2013 NY Jets Starters : Offense/ Defense/ ST
    QB : Geno Smith
    LT : Brick Ferguson
    LG : Willie Colon
    OC : Nick Mangold
    RG : Brian Winters
    RT : Austin Howard
    WR : Santonio Holmes
    WR : Stephen Hill
    WR : Jeremy Kerley
    TE : Jeff Cumberland
    RB : Chris Ivory
    FB : Tommy Bohanon

DE : Mo Wilkerson
    NT : Damon Harrison
    DE : Sheldon Richardson
    LB : Calvin Pace
    LB : Quinton Coples
    LB : David Harris
    LB : Demario Davis
    CB : Antonio Cromartie
    CB : Dee Milliner
    FS : Dewan Landry
    SS : Antonio Allen

PK : Nick Folk
    Pu : Ryan Quigley

2014 pre draft Jets Starters: Offense/ Defense/ ST
    QB : Geno Smith
    LT : Brick Ferguson
    LG : Willie Colon
    OC : Nick Mangold
    RG : Brian Winters
    RT : Breno Giacomni
    WR : Eric Decker
    WR : Stephen Hill
    WR : Jeremy Kerley
    TE : Jeff Cumberland
    RB : Chris Ivory
    FB : Tommy Bohanon

DE : Mo Wilkerson
    NT : Damon Harrison
    DE : Sheldon Richardson
    LB : Calvin Pace
    LB : Quinton Coples
    LB : David Harris
    LB : Demario Davis
    CB : Kyle Wilson
    CB : Dee Milliner
    FS : Dewan Landry
    SS : Antonio Allen

PK : Nick Folk
    Pu : Ryan Quigley

Improved WR core with the addition of Decker and QB position with addition of Vick.
    OL could stand to be upgraded
    WR could stand to be upgraded
    TE could stand to be upgraded
    LB could stand to be upgraded
    CB could stand to be upgraded
    FS could stand to be upgraded

The Candidates:
    OL : Zack Martin / Taylor Lewan
    WR : OBJ / Brandin Cooks / Marquise Lee
    CB : Darqueze Dennard
    TE : Eric Ebron
    LB : C J Mosley
    FS : Clinton Dix

The best fix for the future and the present of this Jet organization is to improve the play at QB on this team o prevent opposing QBs from wrecking havoc on our Defense . To that end, knowing what you already know, who is the best choice in the 1st round.

Hall Of Fame
    I think in this draft, if the roster stays the way it is, the Jets need 3-4 starters. WR, CB, TE, and maybe S.

The rest is depth and talent based

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think in this draft, if the roster stays the way it is, the Jets need 3-4 starters. WR, CB, TE, and maybe S.

The rest is depth and talent based

Yes, I agree, but where do we invest our 1st pick that would add the best value to our team if we believe the object is to either improve our QB play or curtail the play of the opposing QB ?

After all, It's a QB driven league.

This season we face:
    Brady - Twice
    Manning
    Cutler
    Rothlisberger
    Stafford
    Rodgers
    Rivers
    Schaub

All Pro
    I don't understand something. Here I made this thread which shows the top 25 players on the Jets roster. The vast majority of these players could stand to be upgraded upon yet with 12 draft picks our fan base don't think we will be able to integrate 12 picks onto our roster.

Is there any question why the way John Idzik is operating is a bother to this Fan base ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I don't understand something. Here I made this thread which shows the top 25 players on the Jets roster. The vast majority of these players could stand to be upgraded upon yet with 12 draft picks our fan base don't think we will be able to integrate 12 picks onto our roster.

Is there any question why the way John Idzik is operating is a bother to this Fan base ?
    The top half of our picks or maybe more if we are lucky due to a strong draft year we have to hope makes a serious challenge for a spot sooner or later. What some people are forgetting is our 2nd tier of developmental prospects that we have had hanging around the last number of years. Guys that need to be drafted and then stuck on the psquad or injured list. I'm pretty sure we can upgrade on the the likes of:

Lowell Rose - CB
    Nick Taylor - DB
    Tevita Finau - DT
    Troy Davis - LB
    Tim Fugger - LB
    Jacoby Ashworth - OL
    Alex Green - RB
    Brandon Hardin - S
    Colin Anderson - TE
    Saalim Hakim - WR

etc
    Last edited by Beerfish; 03-31-2014 at 01:40 PM.

You actually believe Geno is the starter at QB? It's going to be Vick IMO. Geno will sit until Vick gets hurt. As far as the draft goes in the first if all things remain equal we could go a number of ways but im guessing CB at the moment. I think there are quality WR's to be had in the 2nd. Then address OLB. S and RB with the 3rd and 4th rounders.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    You actually believe Geno is the starter at QB? It's going to be Vick IMO. Geno will sit until Vick gets hurt. As far as the draft goes in the first if all things remain equal we could go a number of ways but im guessing CB at the moment. I think there are quality WR's to be had in the 2nd. Then address OLB. S and RB with the 3rd and 4th rounders.
    I see almost no way Vick starts. He is insurance and a backup. His contract tells you that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    How do you build "sustainable success" by starting Michael Vick who is not the future of anyone's anything ? Vick is here to push Geno and to provide the Jets with an option in case something happens to Geno Smith. If he starts, it sets the organization back a full season. Regardless of what the fans think about Geno Smith, he's either the future or he's nothing. The Jets are not going to waste 3 more yrs finding out.

The team will be a lot better if they focus one side of the ball in teh draft. Overweight the offense in my opinion in the draft and you'll see marked improvement. Wr, RB, TE, OL. Plug in pieces on the Defense.

A nasty all out kill or be killed competition all the way up to opening day on offense, CB, S with the best players starting and we could win 8-9 games. if they waste the first pick on D we're not going anywhere imo. This offense is dreadful and really needs to be improved.

The improved offense will control the ball, score more points and allow the defense to be more aggressive.

They should focus on field position, and clock control. An improved offense can help that immensely.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How do you build "sustainable success" by starting Michael Vick who is not the future of anyone's anything ? Vick is here to push Geno and to provide the Jets with an option in case something happens to Geno Smith. If he starts, it sets the organization back a full season. Regardless of what the fans think about Geno Smith, he's either the future or he's nothing. The Jets are not going to waste 3 more yrs finding out.
    If QB was ALL that mattered, Brady and P. Manning would take turns hoisting the Lombardi.

Yes, QB is a vital cog, but it's the other 52 players that are going to make or break you. And to that point we need the best QB to play simply so we can see what we have on the rest of the roster.

If Geno doesn't improve, Decker is going to look like a bad signing, our OL is going to look like swiss cheese, our RBs are going to look pedestrian, our defense is going to look perpetually tired, and we'll be complaining about needing 5-6 starters next off-season. That's not "sustainable success" -- that's "sustainable mediocrity".

Now hopefully that doesn't happen, and Geno becomes what we need him to be. But if Vick clearly outplays Geno, he needs to start -- for the good of the team in the short-term, as well as the long . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If QB was ALL that mattered, Brady and P. Manning would take turns hoisting the Lombardi.

Yes, QB is a vital cog, but it's the other 52 players that are going to make or break you. And to that point we need the best QB to play simply so we can see what we have on the rest of the roster.

If Geno doesn't improve, Decker is going to look like a bad signing, our OL is going to look like swiss cheese, our RBs are going to look pedestrian, our defense is going to look perpetually tired, and we'll be complaining about needing 5-6 starters next off-season. That's not "sustainable success" -- that's "sustainable mediocrity".

Now hopefully that doesn't happen, and Geno becomes what we need him to be. But if Vick clearly outplays Geno, he needs to start -- for the good of the team in the short-term, as well as the long . . .

Good post.

The jets basically will go into the season with the same needs as last season. Decker needs a gamebreaker like djax to prosper.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

I happen to agree with everything you said in that post. The problem is i don't see how you can developed Geno Smith into what you hope for and give Mike Vick enough reps to allow him to be a serious challenger.

All League
    Based on the Candidates in the OP, my draft board for #18 for the Jets would be:
    OL :Taylor Lewan
    WR : Odell Beckham Jr.
    OLB: Anthony Barr (write in)
    WR : Brandin Cooks
    OL : Zack Martin
    WR : Marquise Lee

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Based on the Candidates in the OP, my draft board for #18 for the Jets would be:
    OL :Taylor Lewan
    WR : Odell Beckham Jr.
    OLB: Anthony Barr (write in)
    WR : Brandin Cooks
    OL : Zack Martin
    WR : Marquise Lee
    I am truly impressed with this board. I would do it slightly different, but what is there to complain about with this.

My Board would be.

OL: Taylor Lewan
    OL: Zack Martin
    CB: Darqueze Dennard
    LB: C J Mosley
    WR: Brandin Cooks
    WR: Marquise Lee
    LB: Anthony Barr
    WR: OBJ
    FS: Clinton Dix
    TE:Eric Ebron Not a 1st rounder