Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I've waited years to see the Jets managed like this, 30 mil cap space and 12 draft picks, talk of building a foundation, long term success, building the right way, it's all music to my ears.

This offseason has been utter bliss thus far.
    Exactly.

Having money doesn't mean you should spend it on hookers, booze and coke. There are smart ways to use the money and I get the sense that we are doing just that.

P.S: Why can't I "Like" this poster again? Why do I have to spend on others to be able to "Like" the same person. Doesn't make sense. Harrier. Consider yourself Like'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post
    Exactly.

Having money doesn't mean you should spend it on hookers, booze and coke. There are smart ways to use the money and I get the sense that we are doing just that.

P.S: Why can't I "Like" this poster again? Why do I have to spend on others to be able to "Like" the same person. Doesn't make sense. Harrier. Consider yourself Like'd.
    Well what kind of coke....

All Pro
    I've waited years to see the Jets managed like this, 30 mil cap space and 12 draft picks, talk of building a foundation, long term success, building the right way, it's all music to my ears.

Really we're a legit QB and o-line away from being perpetual contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post
    Exactly.

Sounds like my kind of night, so I suppose it's a good job Mr Idzik is making the decisions.

Appreciate the shout out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The two main things I got from that:

1. Jets are looking for players that they think fit and who think they fit with the Jets. In other words, mutual desire

2. Jets are looking for long term answers at important positions. Which means draft.
    The draft & UDFA's - I think the key here is young players with their prime still in front of them.

I don' think we will ever see Idzik sign a free agent or trade for a guy that is 30 years old or older.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Wait til next year...

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Jets

Currently...Jets 2015 CAP space is over $64 mil.

The others in the division...

2015 CAP space for Pats is a little over $11 mil
    2015 CAP space for the Phins is just over $10 mil
    2015 CAP space for the Bills is 2nd in AFCE $32 mil

The league requires that every team must spend in a 4 year period...starting in 2013...89% of the CAP. Which AFCE team is in best shape for those final 2 years of mandatory spending? Our NYJ!

So Jets are in excellent position to be big players in FA as well as resign MoWilk and other Jets players in the near future. Pats and Phins currently have $53 mil less then Jets for spending in year 2015.

Just comparing the 2016 year separately from the 2015 year...and Jets are still superior in dollars by at least $21 mil over the rest of the AFCE.

Thats $53mil + $21 = $74 mil more CAP space then Pats and Phins currently have in 2015-16 years.

I'm excited about the 12 picks Jets have in this draft. And also what Jets can do over the next two years in FA and the ability to retain the best of our Jets players.

Jets are ascending.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Wait til next year...

The league requires that every team must spend in a 4 year period...starting in 2013...89% of the CAP. Which AFCE team is in best shape for those final 2 years of mandatory spending? Our NYJ!

So Jets are in excellent position to be big players in FA as well as resign MoWilk and other Jets players in the near future. Pats and Phins currently have $53 mil less then Jets for spending in year 2015.

Just comparing the 2016 year separately from the 2015 year...and Jets are still superior in dollars by at least $21 mil over the rest of the AFCE.

Thats $53mil + $21 = $74 mil more CAP space then Pats and Phins currently have in 2015-16 years.

I'm excited about the 12 picks Jets have in this draft. And also what Jets can do over the next two years in FA and the ability to retain the best of our Jets players.

Jets are ascending.
    Very good post. I love it when posters bring more data to the table instead of saying "Sanchez sucks" or "Rex is a buffoon". Posters like you are the ones that makes the boards readable. Thanks again buddy.

All League

I couldn't agree more. It feels kinda weird at first, but I like the approach. I also think by building through the draft, we could potentially keep guys longer and build continuity.

All Pro
    Wait til next year...

Jets are ascending.
    post of the year

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The draft & UDFA's - I think the key here is young players with their prime still in front of them.

I don' think we will ever see Idzik sign a free agent or trade for a guy that is 30 years old or older.
    OK, what was Michael Vick?

Wait til next year...

Jets are ascending.
    All good points, but it becomes dangerous when the Jets are too far under the cap and need to spend their way out of it. The Wilkerson and Kerley contracts once completed will still leave us with an enormous amount to spend. There's a finite number of free agents you can get at a rate reasonable to their production. Are we going to give out a bunch of Mike Wallace contracts to average talents like Wallace? That's what concerns me.

While we may be "ascending," the next few years will require free agent splurges, the very type of which we are so wisely avoiding this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    =======================================

Or Colon, or signing Pace twice, Ed Reed, and so on.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    =======================================

Or Colon, or signing Pace twice, Ed Reed, and so on.
    I think the point he was making was that Idzik won't commit big money, or long term (4-5 years) contracts to guys that are 30 or over. Pace, Reed, Vick, those are basically "pay for play"/"show me" contracts.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    All good points, but it becomes dangerous when the Jets are too far under the cap and need to spend their way out of it. The Wilkerson and Kerley contracts once completed will still leave us with an enormous amount to spend. There's a finite number of free agents you can get at a rate reasonable to their production. Are we going to give out a bunch of Mike Wallace contracts to average talents like Wallace? That's what concerns me.

While we may be "ascending," the next few years will require free agent splurges, the very type of which we are so wisely avoiding this year.

There are ways around that, too. Contracts can be structured/re-structured to give more money up front, to take a bigger chunk of the cap.... plus, if Geno is the real deal, they'll want to lock him up, longer term, at a higher salary. Coples, Richardson, Davis, others will be gettin' more money. Bottom line.... there are ways to maneuver the numbers, and Idzik seems like the right guy to do that.

Are those the only two contracts we need to hand out? I think we could lock up a few more on the defense side. You get such good value for locking people up early.

Yes...the Jets could indeed end up in a FA spending frenzy...like a drunken sailor. Only to sober up the next morning and find himself with empty pockets.

Idzik has an Ivy League degree in mathematics...and a Masters in Liberal Arts. And he tugged on his father's various football uniforms as he was growing up. And has become a football lifer himself... just like his father was.

A smart well rounded individual indeed is Idzik. I do believe he has a well thought out plan too. For now I can only get a glimpse of it in bits and pieces...as it slowly unfolds.

IMO...a great deal of the CAP will be devoted to not only resigning the obvious star Jet players. But also as many of the good players...role players...and niche players that many times have to be let go due to the CAP forcing it upon teams. The more of these type of players he can keep together...the better the chemistry the offensive...defensive...and ST units will have. If players are able to stay together for like 5-8 years...they'll know the play book and each other like the back of their hand. They may be then able to make the crucial plays that can result in winning a tight ball game. While the typical yearly roster roulette changes that most teams go through....can lead to crucial mistakes...that result in losing a close game. Cause some of these players are not as familiar with each other...if they only been together for just one year. As I said in another thread...

A well thought out and assembled team vs a FA Dream Team...we already saw the result of that with the Eagles.

I don't think Idzik will foolishly overspend in FA or on his home grown Jets. But I do think he's going to try and have the best of all possible worlds. Get quality FAs that fit in well with the team. Maximize the resigning of deserving home grown Jets. And do this more then most teams can do.

Anyways that's just my guess. With all that CAP space for Idzik to work with...it should be fun to watch and see what he actually does with it over these next two years.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 03-26-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I know I didn't specify, but, I was talking about long term deals - not 1 yr stop gap type signings, I thought that went without saying.

Not to mention, Vick is a QB - & most likely a back-up QB at that, so, that's probably the one place you could see an exception.

But let me clarify, when we are talking about long term deals where the team is investing a good chunk of money (in excess of 10 million guaranteed) over 4 or more years, you won't see Idzik make that kind of commitment unless the player is young (under 30) & either in his prime, or, he has the prime of his career in front of him.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Veteran
    Wait til next year...

Jets are ascending.
    Music to our collective ears. We are being run like a team with a vision. Idzik will have his critics, but I am 110% on board with the way he has been handling things.

All Pro
    Idzik is doing a great job of managing the team, which is set up nicely for the foreseeable future. I'm not a big fan of the Vick signing, but overall, I think Idzik's strategy has been on point and extremely disciplined. The key to success is hitting on draft picks, retaining home grown talent, finding a long term solution at quarterback, and continuity.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL. Kind of contradicts that long term thing.