Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: U.S. NLRB Rules Northwestern College Football Players are Employees, and Can Unionize

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    A few notes:

1. The ruling is not, in fact, limited to private schools. The issue involved is that public school students, if employees, will (in most States) not have the right to Unionize themselves....they'd have to join the existing State Public Service Unions already in place (this will get complicated).

2. A Lawyer on ESPN said today that, amazingly, the $50,000/year+ in compensation a Football "Employee" gets will not be taxable, because current Tax law says Scholorships are a "Grant" and immune from taxation. If thats correct, the "employee players" get the best of both worlds, they get upwards of $250,000 in tax free compensation + Healthcare all paid for by taxpayers of their schools actual Students, and the right to collectively bargain for more compensation, all tax free.

If I had to guess, the IRS, pro-left today or not, will not be letting that stand. There is almost no form of employee compensation that is this level of tax free in it's total.

3. I happen to agree with the players re: medical care. This (unionization and being declared employees) was not the right way to go about it.

Personally, I loathe the NCAA and the Pro Sports College System, and will be happy to see it come crashing down in flames and be replaced by legitimate minor leagues for Football and Basketball. I have never and will never support the idea that our Universities of higher learning should be running exploitive, corrupt and for-profit vocational-style pro sports leagues on the side.

The sooner that system is (rightfully) torn tdown, the better. I think this ruling has a ton of potential of doing just that.
    I just want to point out that I agree with this statement, but this wasn't their first idea, the NCAA has basically rejected and resisted all ideas for this. At some point they have to try something to make a change. Again, I don't think unionizing is the best option, I do think the NCAA forced the players into a corner where they eventually believed this was the only way to force the NCAA to make serious changes to how they "protect" the athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    A few notes:

1. The ruling is not, in fact, limited to private schools. The issue involved is that public school students, if employees, will (in most States) not have the right to Unionize themselves....they'd have to join the existing State Public Service Unions already in place (this will get complicated).

2. A Lawyer on ESPN said today that, amazingly, the $50,000/year+ in compensation a Football "Employee" gets will not be taxable, because current Tax law says Scholorships are a "Grant" and immune from taxation. If thats correct, the "employee players" get the best of both worlds, they get upwards of $250,000 in tax free compensation + Healthcare all paid for by taxpayers of their schools actual Students, and the right to collectively bargain for more compensation, all tax free.If I had to guess, the IRS, pro-left today or not, will not be letting that stand. There is almost no form of employee compensation that is this level of tax free in it's total.

3. I happen to agree with the players re: medical care. This (unionization and being declared employees) was not the right way to go about it.

Personally, I loathe the NCAA and the Pro Sports College System, and will be happy to see it come crashing down in flames and be replaced by legitimate minor leagues for Football and Basketball. I have never and will never support the idea that our Universities of higher learning should be running exploitive, corrupt and for-profit vocational-style pro sports leagues on the side.

The sooner that system is (rightfully) torn tdown, the better. I think this ruling has a ton of potential of doing just that.
    Yeah that's Lester Munson. What he failed to mention is that these players don't pocket that money, it still goes to the school to cover tuition. Any compensation outside of that grant i.e. comensation from sales, TV deals etc. is definetely taxable.

What these guys at Northwestern have done is crack open Pandoras box. There are so many variables in this situation, it can go anywhere.
    Last edited by bgivs21; 03-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.

All Pro
    I would be absolutely shocked if anything came of this. If I have learned one thing in life that is: "Remember the Golden Rule. He who has the Gold makes the rules."
    Even Obama and his hypocrites can't upset this applecart. The NCAA and the Universities have more money than it knows what to do with and the money they spend
    on lawyering up to put this to rest will be immense.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Private schools now, public later? If the program isn't paying it's own way, then it's gone. That's what will happen boys and girls. Colleges will be institutions of higher learning and that's it, zero athletics. I really think this is a HUGE can of worms that's been opened up here and the do-gooders in Wisconsin haven't thought this whole thing through.
    Why is that a bad thing?

We'd just move toward a system that more closely resembles international soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I would be absolutely shocked if anything came of this. If I have learned one thing in life that is: "Remember the Golden Rule. He who has the Gold makes the rules."
    Even Obama and his hypocrites can't upset this applecart. The NCAA and the Universities have more money than it knows what to do with and the money they spend
    on lawyering up to put this to rest will be immense.
    This has been a long time coming. I don't see where the NCAA has a leg to stand on.

Lawyers suck, they are sales turds profiting from other's misery

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Everyone is to blame. In all honesty, at one time, athletics were simply a wonderful extension of education. Many college athletes were once students first, who welcomed the scholarship as a means to continue in a sport they loved and obtain a free education.
    Parents became super whacky as they began to perceive their children as athletes from birth. Holding them out from kindergarten for an additional year, so to be stronger and older later in high school. Pressure grew on middle school coaches and high school coaches to WIN at all costs. After all, if the team is a loser, they may have to pay for their son or daughter's college. But it got worse and parents also began to have visions the NFL, NBA, and MLB. The Olympics even allows professionals in team sports, thus throwing out the last gasp to keep things at an amateur level.
    Colleges gave stretched and continue to stretch the limits of all rules and regulations in the battle of recruitment. Coaches are like a merry-go-round (with notable exceptions). Millions of dollars in coaching salaries; getting more than the highly qualified collegiate administration and professors. But they all smiled as the revenue poured in.
    Real Sports on HBO managed to get across a great point about the college scholarship. It was supposed to be a quality education in exchange for the youngsters athleticism representing the school in whatever sport they played. The colleges and university have been exposed for not educating many young people, but in essence serving as a minor league training ground and just making sure the athletes remain eligible to be on the roster. So the professional leagues no longer even wait to reap the harvest. One and done in basketball is the ruination of college sports and what it is supposed to be. The NFL waits a few years and major league baseball can swoop down at any time.
    Now the kids see all the money that is everywhere, but in their pockets. The shame is that we are still talking about a fractional percentage of athletes that will really move on to the professional level. Everyone has become greedy. Everyone is to blame.
    I hate Lawyers (along with Shakespeare, Socrates and Cicero)

But agree with all of the above... 6 & 7 year olds having to compete to make the team? Where are they supposed to learn? Yes, it's parent's greed but this whole ruling is based on lawyers.

I hate lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I hate Lawyers (along with Shakespeare, Socrates and Cicero)

But agree with all of the above... 6 & 7 year olds having to compete to make the team? Where are they supposed to learn? Yes, it's parent's greed but this whole ruling is based on lawyers.

I hate lawyers
    Actually, the whole ruling is based on the NCAA having no interest in actually protecting the student athletes. For years student athletes have pushed for rules that protect them and the NCAA has rebuffed them every step of the way. The NCAA is as corrupt and useless as FIFA or the IOC and eventually this happened. Again, I don't think that unionizing is even close to the best option, but the NCAA is the bad guy here, not the student athletes (and not Obama, which is seriously reaching, because this isn't a political debate at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Actually, the whole ruling is based on the NCAA having no interest in actually protecting the student athletes. For years student athletes have pushed for rules that protect them and the NCAA has rebuffed them every step of the way. The NCAA is as corrupt and useless as FIFA or the IOC and eventually this happened. Again, I don't think that unionizing is even close to the best option, but the NCAA is the bad guy here, not the student athletes (and not Obama, which is seriously reaching, because this isn't a political debate at all)
    Totally agree, the NCAA has brought this on itself because they have been pigs at the trough refusing to consider, on any level, the interests of the athlete-students.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Why is that a bad thing?

We'd just move toward a system that more closely resembles international soccer.
    It's not for the big sports. But what about volleyball, swimming, etc.?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Totally agree, the NCAA has brought this on itself because they have been pigs at the trough refusing to consider, on any level, the interests of the athlete-students.
    +1

That's what a monopoly gets you.