Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. NLRB Rules Northwestern College Football Players are Employees, and Can Unionize

U.S. NLRB Rules Northwestern College Football Players are Employees, and Can Unionize

And in a stroke, thus (potentially) ends College Sports in America as they are now.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...l-agency-says/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/us/nor...html?hpt=hp_t2

States and Public institutions may have been able to slide on the massive costs/income of College Sports before, but the second these players get paid or get benefits or are "employees", States are going to pull the plug and seperate college sports (semi-pro minor league sports) from the school, as they'll have no argument that the players are students first, and States don't generally pay sports players.

If this ruling stands, and it's going to be a long time before it's settled, we may finally see a legitimate minor league for the NFL and NBA.

More repurcussions, if the players are "employees", and their scholarship is their compensation, it's going to be taxable. Don't think for a second the IRS won;t be looking next year at this, and the ramifications on tax law, dependencies, etc.

Medical coverage for inujuries will be a given, so schools will be on the line for player injury and treatment for the rest of that players life! Imagaine the increase in costs that alone will create.

Schools will either have to justify why they're paying millions in "sports salaries and benefits" to football and basketball players to the rest of the tuition paying, there for education, student body.....or dump he sports.

And Title 9 will mandate that if Male players get paid, woman players in equivalent sports will have to be paid. And since both profitable sports (football, basketball) are employees due to time/scholorship, non-profitable sports will have to be treated equally since the base requirements (time spent away from classes, comepnsation in the form of free schooling) and be paid/medically covered as well, potentially spelling the end of smaller college sports.

Wow. Huge news.
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-26-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In that case, start paying them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    And let them pay their own tuition..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    and their own housing,meal plans, supplies,equipment...lots of schools could drop out of sports all together...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And in a stroke, thus (potentially) ends College Sports in America as they are now.
    That's fine. College football needs a change for a system that is so broken and yet...so simple to fix if you take out the greed.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And this

All League
    Everyone is to blame. In all honesty, at one time, athletics were simply a wonderful extension of education. Many college athletes were once students first, who welcomed the scholarship as a means to continue in a sport they loved and obtain a free education.
    Parents became super whacky as they began to perceive their children as athletes from birth. Holding them out from kindergarten for an additional year, so to be stronger and older later in high school. Pressure grew on middle school coaches and high school coaches to WIN at all costs. After all, if the team is a loser, they may have to pay for their son or daughter's college. But it got worse and parents also began to have visions the NFL, NBA, and MLB. The Olympics even allows professionals in team sports, thus throwing out the last gasp to keep things at an amateur level.
    Colleges gave stretched and continue to stretch the limits of all rules and regulations in the battle of recruitment. Coaches are like a merry-go-round (with notable exceptions). Millions of dollars in coaching salaries; getting more than the highly qualified collegiate administration and professors. But they all smiled as the revenue poured in.
    Real Sports on HBO managed to get across a great point about the college scholarship. It was supposed to be a quality education in exchange for the youngsters athleticism representing the school in whatever sport they played. The colleges and university have been exposed for not educating many young people, but in essence serving as a minor league training ground and just making sure the athletes remain eligible to be on the roster. So the professional leagues no longer even wait to reap the harvest. One and done in basketball is the ruination of college sports and what it is supposed to be. The NFL waits a few years and major league baseball can swoop down at any time.
    Now the kids see all the money that is everywhere, but in their pockets. The shame is that we are still talking about a fractional percentage of athletes that will really move on to the professional level. Everyone has become greedy. Everyone is to blame.
    Last edited by PocketJet; 03-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.

The decision will be overturned. The NLRB is currently comprised of individuals recess appointed by Obama. The catch is that he recess appointed them when Congres wasn't in recess. When SCOTUS rules this action unconstitutional in a few months, all the decisions the NLRB made s currently constituted will be overturned.

Hall Of Fame
    I hate the NCAA but paying student athletes is opening pandoras box.

so everyone on scholarship in an employee...

My (unpopular) opinion:

1. Schools are for Intellectual Learning. I'd make all College Sports Intramural only.

2. If Athletes want to intern/learn/be taught sports, thats the job of a Minor League. The NFL and NBA should create one.

3. If I was sending my kid to College, and found out the tuition was in part paying for a bunch of non-students to play Sports and get lifetime health coverage, I'd be pissed. I think many parents would, as would those in the Statehouses who pay the bills.

Students in Schools, Sports Athletes in Sports Leagues. /Done, problem solved.

My (unpopular) opinion:

1. Schools are for Intellectual Learning. I'd make all College Sports Intramural only.

2. If Athletes want to intern/learn/be taught sports, thats the job of a Minor League. The NFL and NBA should create one.

3. If I was sending my kid to College, and found out the tuition was in part paying for a bunch of non-students to play Sports and get lifetime health coverage, I'd be pissed. I think many parents would, as would those in the Statehouses who pay the bills.

Not unpopular with me. The whole thing is out of whack. Sports are meant to be an extra activity.

Those athletes good enough to want to try and make it a career...try our for the minor leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    And this
    That, room and board, etc will all be part of the compensation.

My (unpopular) opinion:

no, the football players in bigtime programs subsidize the rest of the students, you have it backwards. And they only get health coverage for injuries occured while making the college money.

Ok, there's this little thing called Title IX. Google it. There's no way you can pay the football team or men's basketball team and not pay the women's field hockey team.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 03-26-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    so everyone on scholarship in an employee...
    It's an asinine ruling.

My (unpopular) opinion:

Your points are valid, they make perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Ok, there's this little thing called Title XI. Google it. There's no way you can pay the football team or men's basketball team and not pay the women's field hockey team.
    Title IX is unfair. Mens sports, in general, create greater revenue for the school then women's sports. Just another PC rule.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Title IX is unfair. Mens sports, in general, create greater revenue for the school then women's sports. Just another PC rule.
    Doesn't matter what anyone thinks of Title IX. Fact remains it would have to be overturned in order to pay college athletes otherwise Division I colleges would have to pay the female volleyball team the same $$ as the football players.