Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we sign Ed Reed to another one year deal?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Will we sign Ed Reed to another one year deal?

It can't hurt to have this guy back there, late in the year he really came on. I wonder if some rehab this offseason would help him come back strong, still, 50% of Reed is better than 90% of the safeties in the league.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last season Greg Buttle (I think but it might have been Marty Lyons) made the Point that Ed Reed joined the Jets and Milliner started playing better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not just Milliner but the entire secondary.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    It can't hurt to have this guy back there, late in the year he really came on. I wonder if some rehab this offseason would help him come back strong, still, 50% of Reed is better than 90% of the safeties in the league.

I would definitely not rule it out and frankly would welcome it.... think there is mutual interest from both sides.... post draft signing...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was some horrible play from Reed at first but he did improve. Maybe he just needed some time to adjust or maybe he has been beat up and has lost a step or 2 ? If he comes back healthy and motivated then absolutely bring him back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully expect to see him in camp. After that, who knows.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind Ed re-signing for the veteran minimum and playing 20-25 snaps a game at over-the-top free safety. We could use the veteran leadership in the secondary.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's actually good for the younger players. Whatever he lacks on the field he makes up on the sidelines. A coaching role for him would be optimal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I hope not if that means he will play over Allen.....

If that's not the case.....bring back the wiley vet to spread some wisdom to the youth in the secondary...Milliner def benefited from Ed's mentoring....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Wouldn't mind Ed re-signing for the veteran minimum and playing 20-25 snaps a game at over-the-top free safety. We could use the veteran leadership in the secondary.
    Yes. Not as a starter, but if you're bringing in Ed Reed in your dime packages as a roamer, you could do a lot worse.

Reed is the guy who seals a game (or two) late with a interception while the opposition is in the two-minute drill. Personally, I can't see a downside to bringing him back if he's got another year left, though I don't see him coming in for the minimum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This really depends on Rex and his loyalty/memory to Reed. Because when he got here Rex immediately treated
    him like Ed Reed from 5-6 years ago. And he is not that anymore, he should be a player/coach in the secondary
    and use his ballhawk skills for a limited amount of reps during games. If Rex brings him back to take reps away
    from the young guys I would say no

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends if we need him or not, plain and simple.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have said ... Limited role I'm in!

Turnovers on D has been an area we could improve on as well as on the other side of the ball.

We certainly could pencil Ed in for a couple

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind having him back. I can't see him starting tho.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he comes back he deserves more than the vet minimum... all you have to do is think about how well he would fit part time in the pats secondary to realize it... I have to believe there would have to be more than one team that thinks he can contribute..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see Ed Reed in green and white one more year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely yes.... Milliner especially improved big time and Reed put up more than his fair share of interceptions.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    If he comes back he deserves more than the vet minimum... all you have to do is think about how well he would fit part time in the pats secondary to realize it... I have to believe there would have to be more than one team that thinks he can contribute..
    This - I doubt Ed Reed comes back for the vet minimum. Not that it will take a huge chunk of money to get him here (assuming he wants to play), but its insulting to give a HOFer like Reed the minimum. I'm guessing he'll get a $2m contract or so and, as others have said, play in a limited role. Playing next to Reed can only help Allen, Bush and Jarrett.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This - I doubt Ed Reed comes back for the vet minimum. Not that it will take a huge chunk of money to get him here (assuming he wants to play), but its insulting to give a HOFer like Reed the minimum. I'm guessing he'll get a $2m contract or so and, as others have said, play in a limited role. Playing next to Reed can only help Allen, Bush and Jarrett.
    +1 A player DB coach combo works for me.. Who knows maybe Reed will be looking for a coaching gig soon..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 A player DB coach combo works for me.. Who knows maybe Reed will be looking for a coaching gig soon..
    Could def see Reed joining the CS in the near future if he comes back to play next season.....

Rex would welcome him with open arms if he was up for coaching and I would have to think that Ed would love working for Rex as much as he loved playing for him....